EAP 2017.1 : possible to eliminate pesky parameter name hints Follow
Is is possible (by options, otherwise) to stop PhpStorm from showing the intended parameter NAME as shown here :
Here is the deal :
- while typing i dont get them when i could use them (eg I get the hint shown after i enter the var)
- When i do get them, my visual context gets constantly taken away because the editor is behaving as another typist, the carret and everything shifts NNN pixels to the right
- Since the EAP , i dont know which is worse : 100% CPU most of the time, or level low CPU but having to reindex and restart every 20 minutes of work because all of a sudden (and I mean NO WARNING) , i get keystroke delays > .75 seconds
So, can i turn this thing off while you guys fix this mess ?
Please sign in to leave a comment.
Would be good if you post here ticket numbers for the issues that you are facing.
Andriy, thanks for the SO link. I will report back one way or the other whether this has any impact on crawling keystroke response times. I dont see the relationship between ticket you pointed out and my complaint on performance. I come here with such questions mostly because the YouTrack search s****s hard, i I can hardly find relevant open tickets to any of the problems I face with any of your products. My hope in coming here is that someone (like you) very 'on top' of the product has a much higher chance to know whether a ticket already exists.
Now Andriy, am I the only one who has had to go from 100%+ cpu with 2016.3, to crawling keystroke responses in 2017.1EAP ? To be frank, hopefully disabling that **non feature** will cure the performance disease and I will be able to come back to my primary concern, a production roll-out next week.
>Now Andriy, am I the only one who has had to go from 100%+ cpu with 2016.3, to crawling keystroke responses in 2017.1EAP ?
TBH -- no idea.
1) I do not work for JetBrains so do not know ALL of their details/existing tickets (even though I'm visiting PhpStorm Issue tracker every day .. but such tickets would be moved to IDEA project anyway which I'm not checking so often).
You've asked how to disable that particular feature -- I gave you the answer. Performance issues -- that's a much more complicated stuff -- I would really need to go trough lots of tickets trying to find something similar (especially if I do not know the all details). For this I would possibly "permanently live" in this place (Issue Tracker) to gave exact answer rather fast... Support team should be doing just that -- there is no real need for me to take all their bread from them :) (especially since I'm answering forum posts here/on SO "just for fun/because I can help a bit"
2) I do not use 2017.1 EAP builds that much right now. For me, personally, I have not noticed any major inconvenience/slowdown (but my projects are usually relatively small (actual project code .. even though it may use quite large framework)). It also depends on actual OS/environment/other software -- on one computer it performs well, but on another one with the same HW specs it is slower...
If you have issues with performance then the best I can suggest is this:
1) (must have) Collect the performance info devs would need: https://intellij-support.jetbrains.com/hc/en-us/articles/207241235-Reporting-performance-problems
2) Report it via Support system ("Submit a request" link at the top ob this page) where you can privately attach such info. After checking the details they may create such ticket for you or provide a link to existing one or what not.
>I come here with such questions mostly because the YouTrack search s****s hard, i I can hardly find relevant open tickets to any of the problems I face with any of your products.
Please do not be afraid of creating new ticket that in the end will be marked as duplicate -- there are so many tickets in their system already (still actual and not; some use different words to describe the same issue etc) that even devs could leave such new tickets without finding already existing ones (for whatever reason). At the end of the day: if some ticket has a lots of duplicates then it may give some priority in their to-do lists...
>My hope in coming here is that someone (like you) very 'on top' of the product has a much higher chance to know whether a ticket already exists.
Your idea is correct. It's just happens that it was me who answered your question on the forum. If you would post such question as a Support Ticket (which is private/not publicly visible as forum) it would be answered by undoubtedly more knowledgeable dev/support person directly.
> i get keystroke delays > .75 seconds
TBH -- the 2017.1 has zero-latency enabled by default ( 1) initial announcement of the feature itself; 2) it's now enabled by default ) so I would expect better/more responsive editing experience (feature appears to be working as per publicly-visible users feedback)
Performance report/CPU snapshot should provide info about why it's happening.
i read the links on zero latency, but cant find the moral equivalent of the 'idea.properties' file the link is talking about for PhpStorm. Not even close to zero latency in this case ... i am mentioning this (and am very aware of the vagaries of performance perception), but in this case the degradation is drastic. The only change on my dev-box is this new EAP build. I have the latest AppCode and WebStorm that i also use daily, and have not noticed any performance issues. Thanks for the help.
>i read the links on zero latency, but cant find the moral equivalent of the 'idea.properties' file the link is talking about for PhpStorm
Try "Help | Edit Custom Properties..."
>The only change on my dev-box is this new EAP build.
I have not tried today's EAP build yet. Maybe you can roll back to previous EAP build if it's only this new one that causing such troubles?
Well, thanks ... as i said, when i come here i seek real advice/practical help, and you are a 'blessing'.
My PhpStorm is a bit loaded (2 project windows summing up 400K slocs). I had noticed the keystoke delay with both EAP's I installed. Now I have 2 changes, so I wont be able to tell ... but I am really anxious to get going again. Will let you know.
fyi ... the Edit Custom Properties created an ideal.properties file in the PhpStorm prefs folder. So, i am not certain that this one is 'on' by default.