PHPStorm 2017.3 Debug Stopped Working [resolved]

It's probably been a few weeks since I used XDebug with PHPStorm, but when I did it was setup perfectly. Since then I've upgraded to PHPStorm 2017.3 and not much else has changed ... nothing with my local dev setup ... and now debugging no longer works.

Here's my setup...

Macbook Pro
Homebrew install of php7.1 and xdebug
Local server is Laravel Valet
Application is WordPress

Here's what I've done to resolve the issue...

Here's my php.ini xdebug block...

[XDebug]

zend_extension="/usr/local/opt/php71-xdebug/xdebug.so"
xdebug.remote_autostart=1
xdebug.default_enable=1
xdebug.remote_port=9001
xdebug.remote_host=127.0.0.1
xdebug.remote_connect_back=1
xdebug.remote_enable=1
xdebug.idekey=PHPSTORM

Here's the output from xdebug's log...

 

Log opened at 2017-12-06 14:48:13
I: Connecting to configured address/port: 127.0.0.1:9001.
I: Connected to client. :-)
-> <init xmlns="urn:debugger_protocol_v1" xmlns:xdebug="http://xdebug.org/dbgp/xdebug" fileuri="file:///Users/me/.composer/vendor/laravel/valet/server.php" language="PHP" xdebug:language_version="7.1.6" protocol_version="1.0" appid="10977" idekey="14374"><engine version="2.5.5"><![CDATA[Xdebug]]></engine><author><![CDATA[Derick Rethans]]></author><url><![CDATA[http://xdebug.org]]></url><copyright><![CDATA[Copyright (c) 2002-2017 by Derick Rethans]]></copyright></init>

-> <response xmlns="urn:debugger_protocol_v1" xmlns:xdebug="http://xdebug.org/dbgp/xdebug" status="break" reason="ok"><xdebug:message filename="file:///Users/me/Sites/blvd/wp-content/plugins/hji-blvd-framework/app/utils/Lumber.php" lineno="110"></xdebug:message></response>

-> <response xmlns="urn:debugger_protocol_v1" xmlns:xdebug="http://xdebug.org/dbgp/xdebug" status="stopping" reason="ok"></response>

Log closed at 2017-12-06 14:48:24

Everything should work but PHPStorm never pauses on a breakpoint. I've even tried to use the xdebug_break(); function....nothing.

 

13 comments
Comment actions Permalink

According to the PHPStorm log it looks like there's a java error - I have a reference to another log file (java_error_in_phpstorm_%p.log) in my home directory.

Even tried to re-install the app, with the same result.

0
Comment actions Permalink

Oh! Now that I think about it, I recently updated to the latest version of Java on this machine.

0
Comment actions Permalink

Rolled back to version 2017.2.4 and everything is working again. Looks like a PHPStorm / Java Bug.

0
Comment actions Permalink

Right now everything looks like it wasn't PhpStorm listening to 9001.

Please install 2017.3 back, stop all PhpStorm instances (both 2017.2.4 and 2017.3, if any) and initiate a debug session again.
What does the Xdebug log say? Could it connect?

0
Comment actions Permalink

Thanks Eugene, I did that and Xdebug log was saying that it was connecting. I logged debugging from PHPstorm which complained about java errors mostly.

0
Comment actions Permalink

If there's no PhpStorm running, and yet port 9001 is available, then something else is listening to it stopping PhpStorm from accepting debugging connections.
Check that PhpStorm is not running with Activity Monitor, then run lsof -n -i:9001 | grep LISTEN

It's also possible that there was a hanging PhpStorm instance occupying the port though, but I think you should have noticed its crash/unresponsiveness.

0
Comment actions Permalink

Yeah, I even rebooted the entire machine a few times so I don't that anything was hanging on port 9001 but who knows. The important thing is that I'm back to work for now...I'll try to upgrade again later.

0
Comment actions Permalink

I'm not sure why this was marked as resolved if it wasn't. Xdebug stopped working for me when I upgraded, and now even downgrading isn't fixing it.

When I run a phpunit test with debugging, the unit test runs fine but a popup says "Connection with Xdebug 2.5.5 was not established. Validate installation.". The validation passes, and it says to check configuration (which I haven't changed and I know is good.)

Are there any known bugs with this?

0
Avatar
Vladimir Luchansky
Comment actions Permalink

What PHP interpreter do you use for PHPUnit? Is it local or remote?

0
Comment actions Permalink

Docker. For anyone coming to this thread later, the solution can be found in the comments here: https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/WI-38060

0
Comment actions Permalink

 This is a problem for me too, and I am super unhappy of having to screw around with a dev environment that worked fine before the upgrade

0
Comment actions Permalink

I just upgrade from PhpStorm-171.4694.2 to PhpStorm-181.4668.78

I use its debugging capabilities all the time; it worked fine before the upgrade.

php.ini:

[Zend]
zend_extension = /usr/lib/php/20151012/xdebug.so
xdebug.profiler_output_dir="/tmp/xdebug/"
xdebug.profiler_enable=On
xdebug.remote_enable=On
xdebug.remote_port=9000
xdebug.remote_handler="dbgp"


 

0

Please sign in to leave a comment.