Constantly "updating indices" over and over, making RM unusable

Answered

Since 2017.3 my ruby project on certain .RB files just sits looping "updating indices" in the status bar, significantly slowing down the IDE.  It's not running a long index, its just doing the index over and over continually.

This is on Ubuntu 16.04.

How do I make this stop?

17 comments
Comment actions Permalink

Hello Dave,

sorry for the delay. It appears to be an already fixed problem so could you please check how it goes in RubyMine 2017.3.2?

0
Comment actions Permalink

I'm using RubyMine 2017.3.2 and having the same issue. It constantly updates indexes, over and over again. Each one takes a brief moment but it never stops.

 

RubyMine 2017.3.2
Build #RM-173.4301.17, built on January 11, 2018

JRE: 1.8.0_152-release-1024-b11 x86_64
JVM: OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM by JetBrains s.r.o
Mac OS X 10.11.6

Update: I was playing around with different ruby versions (2.5.0 and 2.4.1) and different states of bundle installs (locked gem versions satisfied and unsatisfied). At first it appeared to happen when my project was set to ruby 2.5.0. However, after switching ruby versions back and forth a bunch of times, the problem appears to have gone away entirely.

Update 2: Of course as soon as I posted the previous update, the constant re-indexing came back again. I just had to switch tabs to a different file and it started indexing over and over again. The project is set to ruby 2.4.1 so it does not appear to be specific to 2.5.0.

0
Comment actions Permalink

I'm not sure on latest versions.  What I ended up having to do when I originally reported this was blow away my .idea folder and then open the project again. That seemed to clear it up and I haven't seen it since. (whether that was due to me or a bug fix, I don't know.)

0
Comment actions Permalink

For me, deleting .idea/ doesn't help. I get the same behavior with a fresh project.

0
Comment actions Permalink

I am still having this issue in PhpStorm with any php files.

0
Comment actions Permalink

I was able to solve this by going to File -> Invalidate Caches / Restart

Then on the dialog that opens select "Invalidate and Restart"

7
Comment actions Permalink

I had same issue on WebStorm 2017.3.3, and like was mentioned above the "Invalidate Caches / Restart" helps to solve it

2
Comment actions Permalink

Same issue on Android Studio 3.1.2 on Windows 10.

"Invalidate Caches / Restart" solves it.

3
Comment actions Permalink

Same issue on Android Studio 3.3 Canary 3. 'Invalidate Caches / Restart' worked for me although... now Android Studio is telling me to upgrade to Gradle - every - two - seconds (the same frequency as the updating indices problem.)

 

'Invalidate Caches / Restart' doesn't fix on 3.1.3 Stable.

1
Comment actions Permalink

I am facing the same issue. I am currently working on version 2018.2.6 - Ubuntu 16.04.  After invalidating the cache and doing a restart, I still have this issue :( . Are they any other suggestions I can try  ?

Thank you

0
Comment actions Permalink

@Naghi Attila, could you please check how it goes in RubyMine 2019.1 EAP or 2018.3.4 Preview? Does the problem persist? Does it happen to all your projects or only a certain one?

1
Comment actions Permalink

I am using 2019.1.2 and I have still the problem with an Rails project running on ruby 2.3.3 

0
Comment actions Permalink

Additional info to my last post...

I could figure out, that only some specific files in the spec folder would start the infinite indexing process. I could not find out why.

0
Comment actions Permalink

I could find out that this line of code in a ruby spec file is responsible for infinite indexing: subject.should_not be_initiated_by(user)

If I comment this line, everything is fine.

0
Comment actions Permalink

@Holger,

could you please check how it goes in 2019.2? I didn't manage to reproduce the indexing issue with your line of code in 2019.2.

1
Comment actions Permalink

Hi Olga,

I updated my Rubymine to 2019.2

I opened the files multiple times and changed something in the files. Right now, it looks fine. The infinite indexing process didn't happen again.

I will watch this behavior and come back in the case.

Thanks a lot!

Holger

0
Comment actions Permalink

I am having the same issue with 2019.2 Community Edition and Scala projects. If it's due to specific files, I'll try to identify them, but it seems like a huge effort for something that occurs often, but still inconsistently and not willing to reproduce.

0

Please sign in to leave a comment.