PY-94.429 Performance Issues?

Has anyone else been seeing REALLY poor performance with PY-94.429?  I had no problem with the previous release (94.239), but with 94-429 I'll be typing along and the IDE will stall for several seconds.  It's almost unusable...almost.  (I'm a huge IDEA fan, so it's going to be real hard to get me to turn my back on PyCharm :-) )

I'm running the Mac version, and did change a couple of settings in the info.plist.  Changes that actually improved the performance of 94.239.  I changed the VMOptions to up the memory available to the IDE (-Xms256m -Xmx1024m -XX:MaxPermSize=250m -ea -Xverify:none -XX:+UseCompressedOOPS -XX:+DoEscapeAnalysis -Xbootclasspath/a:../lib/boot.jar) and changed it defaults to running in 64-bit mode (moved 'x86_64' top option 0 in JVMArchs).

The only values I changed in the VMOptions are the -Xms and -Xmx.

I've sent my performance report into JetBrains, so I'm sure it will be taken care of, just wondering if anyone else is having the same problems.

Thanks.

Joe

6 comments

For what it's worth, watching Activity Monitor, PyCharm's CPU usage spikes to about 150% when it's hanging.  Gotta love the dual-core duo.

0

Hello Joe,

How many modified / unversioned files do you have in the Changes view? The

performance report shows that a lot of time is spent updating it.

Has anyone else been seeing REALLY poor performance with PY-94.429?  I

had no problem with the previous release (94.239), but with 94-429

I'll be typing along and the IDE will stall for several seconds.  It's

almost unusable...almost.  (I'm a huge IDEA fan, so it's going to be

real hard to get me to turn my back on PyCharm :-) )

I'm running the Mac version, and did change a couple of settings in

the info.plist.  Changes that actually improved the performance of

94.239.  I changed the VMOptions to up the memory available to the IDE

(-Xms256m -Xmx1024m -XX:MaxPermSize=250m -ea -Xverify:none

-XX:UseCompressedOOPS -XX:DoEscapeAnalysis

-Xbootclasspath/a:../lib/boot.jar) and changed it defaults to running

in 64-bit mode (moved 'x86_64' top option 0 in JVMArchs).

The only values I changed in the VMOptions are the -Xms and -Xmx.

I've sent my performance report into JetBrains, so I'm sure it will be

taken care of, just wondering if anyone else is having the same

problems.

--

Dmitry Jemerov

Development Lead

JetBrains, Inc.

http://www.jetbrains.com/

"Develop with Pleasure!"

0

It was a busy weekend, but I wouldn't say a lot.  Maybe 20 files or so.

I backed out the changes I made to the plist, and removed all 3rd party plugins I was using, with the exception of hg4idea, and saw the same problems.  In light of what you are saying about the updating of the changes view, that plugin sounds a little suspect.  I'll disable it while I'm working today and let you know if that helps.

By the way, I appreciate that you narrowed down the list of plugins for PyCharm.  Going through the list of largely irrelevant IDEA plugins was a little daunting.  Thanks for the excellent work (as usual.)

Joe

0

Hello Joe,

Could you please take a CPU snapshot to get more complete information about

the CPU usage, and file a YouTrack issue with the snapshot attached? You

can find instructions at http://www.jetbrains.net/devnet/docs/DOC-1144 (the

page talks about RubyMine but the instructions are just as valid for PyCharm).

It was a busy weekend, but I wouldn't say a lot.  Maybe 20 files or

so.

I backed out the changes I made to the plist, and removed all 3rd

party plugins I was using, with the exception of hg4idea, and saw the

same problems.  In light of what you are saying about the updating of

the changes view, that plugin sounds a little suspect.  I'll disable

it while I'm working today and let you know if that helps.

By the way, I appreciate that you narrowed down the list of plugins

for PyCharm.  Going through the list of largely irrelevant IDEA

plugins was a little daunting.  Thanks for the excellent work (as

usual.)

Joe

---

Original message URL:

http://www.jetbrains.net/devnet/message/5257603#5257603

--

Dmitry Jemerov

Development Lead

JetBrains, Inc.

http://www.jetbrains.com/

"Develop with Pleasure!"

0

Dmitry,

I'm working outside of the PyCharm world today (writing documentation), but will do as you recommend very soon.

Thanks again.

Joe

0

Without the hg4idea plugin installed I'm not having the performance issues at all.

So then I tried to install the hg4idea-luciad fork to see if it has the same issues, and had an interesting thing happen.  I had disabled, but not uninstalled the hg4idea plugin, and when I installed hg4idea-luciad they both disappeared from PyCharm. 

I thought this was a little odd since I had tried the hg4idea-luciad version yesterday and was having some issues with it, so I decided to go back to hg4idea, and that's when things got ugly.

So here's what I suspect happened.

  • I installed hg4idea-luciad
  • I installed hg4idea without uninstalling hg4idea-luciad
  • Everything within hg4idea and hg4idea-luciad is identical other than the filename and a handful of code changes, but when installed, PyCharm sees them as the same plugin.
  • When I installed hg4idea after hg4idea-luciad, I suspect both jars got loaded into the class path, with hg4idea's overriding hg4idea-luciad's in most cases, but there were enough conflicts to lead to unpredictable behavior, which in this case manifested itself as nasty performance issues.
  • When I tried to reinstall hg4idea-luciad the unpredictable behavior manifested itself as unloaded plugins.

So the lesson learned here, is do NOT install hg4idea-luciad and hg4idea at the same time.  Completely remove one from your system before installing the other.

Thanks for the help.

0

Please sign in to leave a comment.