0xDBE 138.2222 can't update itself to 139.795

On OS X, 0xDBE says it sees an update.  I tell it to install and restart.  It downloads 12mb of new bits.  Then I see a dialog with conflicts and proposed solutions.  For example,

Resources/DBE.help/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/pgs/topicId2294.html    Update    Modified    IGNORE

So I tell it to proceed, and it does.  0xDBE reopens, but hasn't been updated.

If it matters, the icon for the update process is a coffee cup -- which reminds me to tell you I have Java 1.8, I believe.

It could be the best approach to get me updated is a fresh, complete download.

9 comments
Comment actions Permalink

Thanks for reporting. We'll investigate this issue.
Please post the exact Java and OSX versions.

Here's the full download link:

https://confluence.jetbrains.com/display/DBE/0xDBE+1.0+EAP

Unfortunately we still do not officially support Java 8 due to fonts rendering issues so one still have to manually edit Info.plist as follows:

vi /Applications/0xDBE\ EAP.app/Contents/Info.plist

and then change JVMVersion key value from 1.6* to 1.6+ or 1.8*.


BTW I personally have no problems updating on Java8-only and OSX 10.10.1.

0
Comment actions Permalink

Thanks for the reply, Gregory.  I see my report was inadequate in a bunch of details:

* Old 0xDBE: 138.2222; new 139.195.5.

* OS X: 10.10.1 (it's a five year old MBP that began with the OS X current in early 2009, and has always been updated in place -- never reloaded).

* Java:

java version "1.8.0_25"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_25-b17)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.25-b02, mixed mode)


* But scratch that.  I just discovered (with /usr/libexec/java_home -V) that I still have Apple's Java 1.6.0_65 (32 and 64 bit JREs).  And DBE's log shows me it's been using that rather than 1.8:

2014-12-19 11:19:37,674 [      0]   INFO -        #com.intellij.idea.Main - ------------------------------------------------------ IDE STARTED ------------------------------------------------------ 
2014-12-19 11:19:37,733 [     59]   INFO -        #com.intellij.idea.Main - IDE: 0xDBE (build #DB-138.2222.2, 22 Sep 2014 00:00) 
2014-12-19 11:19:37,733 [     59]   INFO -        #com.intellij.idea.Main - OS: Mac OS X (10.10.1, x86_64) 
2014-12-19 11:19:37,733 [     59]   INFO -        #com.intellij.idea.Main - JRE: 1.6.0_65-b14-466.1-11M4716 (Apple Inc.) 
2014-12-19 11:19:37,733 [     59]   INFO -        #com.intellij.idea.Main - JVM: 20.65-b04-466.1 (Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM) 
2014-12-19 11:19:37,741 [     67]   INFO -        #com.intellij.idea.Main - JVM Args: -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -ea -Dsun.io.useCanonCaches=false -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -Djsse.enableSNIExtension=false -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:SoftRefLRUPolicyMSPerMB=50 -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError -Xverify:none -Xbootclasspath/a:../lib/boot.jar -Xms128m -Xmx750m -XX:MaxPermSize=350m -XX:ReservedCodeCacheSize=225m -XX:+UseCompressedOops -agentlib:yjpagent=probe_disable=*,disablealloc,disabletracing,onlylocal,disableexceptiontelemetry,delay=10000,sessionname=0xDBE10 -Didea.java.redist=NoJavaDistribution -Didea.home.path=/Applications/0xDBE EAP.app/Contents -Didea.platform.prefix=0xDBE -Didea.paths.selector=0xDBE10 
2014-12-19 11:19:37,797 [    123]   INFO -        #com.intellij.idea.Main - JNA library loaded (64-bit) in 56 ms 



* The updater_error.log is empty, and the updater.log itself shows (for my updates) it copying old files to /var/tmp then back to the DBE path.  I can share that log if you think it will help you.

* After changing the Info.plist file to 1.8*, DBE seems to run ok -- at least against my Oracle 12c RDBMS.  The fonts do look weaker but I'm guessing you may tackle that later in your development.

Thanks for the help!

0
Comment actions Permalink

I have the same issue. My configuration is WIndows 8.1 and Java runtim 1.7.0.51_b13. I have attached the logfiles.

Regards
Klaus



Attachment(s):
log.7z.zip
0
Comment actions Permalink

Similar issue, can't update - I get a list of conflicting java packages or something:

Clicking proceed or cancel doesn't seem to make a difference, it just loads up the old version.

JRE 1.7.0_60-b19_x86 - I believe it's just the bundled one. Windows 8.1.



Attachment(s):
error.png
0
Comment actions Permalink

Sorry for inconvenience.

Thanks everybody for attached log files. We are trying to localize the problem, but have not yet done. From logs it looks like "user accidentally cancels the update", but that's hardly the case: so many users could hardly make the same unintended action. We will search further.

I also see that at least several of you are on Windows 8. (No, Frank, not you, you're on Mac.) I also could not reproduce the problem on Win8 with 2 attempts. But as a blind guess would ask a question: can it be a permission collision? Maybe you install 0xDBE as admin, and then run without administrator permissions, or there is another permission mismatch case?

Thank you,
Alexander.

0
Comment actions Permalink

Hey Alexander,

I definitely didn't cancel the update. I also never install anything as administrator that doesn't specifically request that access. I did get a message before the update saying that two of my plugins were incompatible - it was .gitignore and something else, but I can't recall which the other was. I had another machine that I was going to test the issue on, but it's now expired so I can't even run it there.

Anyways, installing the full version above obviously fixed the issue.

cheers,

...k

0
Comment actions Permalink

I fixed my issue by downloading v139 zip file and extracting it into my installation folder.

0
Comment actions Permalink

Just a note: it's not recommented to install a build overwriting existing files (say, of another build). It's better to delete old directory and install into new empty one.

Regards,
Alexander.

0

Please sign in to leave a comment.