Memory usage hanging high

With version 97.73, I'm running into having to restart Rubymine probably two three times a day.  I'll start it up and begin working and it's fine for a while (a couple of hours) and then the memory usage will hit near the highest amount allowed (minimum 512mb & maximum 1024mb).  Once it hits this point, it doesn't drop back down very far and anything that I try to do is happens after a lag - anywhere from 2 seconds to 10 seconds and the spinning rainbow 'wait' indicator (I'm on a mac) going the entire time.  Sometimes the app stops responding entirely and sometimes I get frustrated with it and attempt to open the file menu and click 'invalidate caches' which usually takes a while due to the lag.

Any suggestions?

8 comments
Comment actions Permalink

I get exactly the same issue. I end up restarting rubymine 2 to 3 times each day.    Jim.

0
Comment actions Permalink

Hello Jim,

Recently we've fixed one memory leak in RubyMine's UI, however to help us in investigating your particular problem could you please capture memory snapshot as described here: http://devnet.jetbrains.net/docs/DOC-1144

Regards,
Oleg

0
Comment actions Permalink

I think the thing that I dislike the most is when the application just stops and so I force quit.  Then I restart rubymine and I can't open the project that I had open when I quit.  All I see is the "Loading Project" box with "Scanning files..." and "Processing module 'trunk' content...".  The only way I've found to get around this is to recheck out the trunk branch.  Without my changes.  Not so fun.

0
Comment actions Permalink

Hello guys,

Most likely your problems are similar to this one: http://youtrack.jetbrains.net/issue/RUBY-7173
However this issue contained memory snapshot and we've already fixed a problem accoring to it.
To be 100% sure that you are experiencing the same problems your memory snapshots are highly welcome.

Regards,
Oleg

0
Comment actions Permalink

Hi Oleg,

Thanks! I already downloaded 3.0 RC and the problem hasn't happened since. I did try to get the memory snapshot facility turned on but couldn't. I added the ypgent from the latest version of YourKit and changed the vmoptions but the button did not appear. I probably missed something. If it happens with RC, I'll try with it. Thanks again for your responses and help!    Jim.

0
Comment actions Permalink

Develop with pleasure! :)

0
Comment actions Permalink

I'm seeing the same issues, even with the new release candidate.  There have been memory issues since the first 2.5 EAP and I'm still seeing them.

I'm running a pretty large Rails project and switch between git branches quite regularly.  It doesn't take long for me to make RubyMine unusable.  I'll look into getting a memory dump now as I can't take much more of this!

0
Comment actions Permalink

Hi Lylo,

Please contact me at oleg.shpynov@jetbrains.com for more details.

Regards,
Oleg

0

Please sign in to leave a comment.