Problem with Multiple Windows on Linux

Greetings,

Our work entails many projects that need to be worked on simultaneously. As a result, we typically have at least two and more likely four RM windows open at the same time, doing a lot of flipping back and forth between the windows, usually using ALT-TAB but occasionally using the task bar. We've noticed that we'll "lose the caret" which means that the caret is not visible, you can select text with the mouse, but all of the menus are greyed out and you cannot type in the editor window. Flipping back and forth between the windows will fix this problem. Also, sometimes when you try to use a dialog window (such as Goto | Class) it seems to open in another window, not the one that is in the foreground. I think that is the case because just once, I tried to open the dialog, and it didn't pop up, nor could I edit anything afterwards in the editor window. When I flipped to another window I thought I saw momentarily the Goto Class dialog in another window before it disappeared. This is happening quite often and is very annoying as it breaks the "flow" of programming. Unfortunately, it is not consistent, and we can't reproduce it consistently with any of our behavior.

A possibly related problem is that when several windows are open, some, and sometimes all of the windows disappear from the task bar. The program is still running, the windows are available via ALT-TAB, but they do not show up in the task bar. Again, this is very annoying because then we are forced to use ALT-TAB, even when the context is not appropriate.

We are running RM 1.1 on Ubuntu Linux 9.04 using the Gnome GUI Manager. RM is running on Sun's Java 6 JDK. I have increased the Heap available to Java (via Mx) to 1GB, but haven't changed any other settings.

As I mentioned in another post, I'm evaluating the program for use in our development group and this problem is a big strike against RM. All-in-all, I really love RM and want very much to use it as it has a lot to offer. You guys have done a great job tackling the very difficult problem that is providing an IDE for Ruby development. Any help you could provide on this issue would help everyone.

Thanks!

DZ

2 comments
Comment actions Permalink

I ran into this problem too.  I found in another thread that Invalidating cache and then restarting Rubymine will clean-up this issue.  This works for me.  But this also means that I am working on only one project in Rubymine at a time.
Hope this helps.
Bharat

0
Comment actions Permalink

Hello guys,

I ran into this problem too.  I found in another thread that Invalidating cache and then restarting Rubymine will clean-up this issue.  This works for me.  But this also means that I am working on only one project in Rubymine at a time.
Hope this helps.

Seems that similar problem was submitted as issue: http://www.jetbrains.net/jira/browse/RUBY-4158

Regards,
Oleg

0

Please sign in to leave a comment.