I read about RubyMine this morning on the PDXRuby dev list. I am easily distracted by shiny objects so I downloaded the latest beta(#824) when I got to work and used it today instead of TextMate(TM). I an currently in the middle of 2 ruby projects, one is an automated test framework and the other is a rails app that presents the results from the test framework. I have been using TM for several years now, mostly with ruby projects and am admittedly pretty happy with it. I'm running Mac OS X 10.5.6 on a MacBook Pro.
After installing and launching RubyMine, I walked through the prefs/settings. Then I opened up my projects in it via the Open Directory command.
- the optional keyboard command set that matches TM. This made adoption for me very easy and saved a ton of time.
- Easy to customize the syntax colors and styles for the editor. I was fairly quickly able to get a scheme that matches my customized TM one.
- SVN integration is pretty nice. I would like some keyboard shortcuts for some of the commands though.
- The 'real-time' code error checking in the editor is nice.
- General performance was better than I expected. However, opening up a new project took a while to scan all the libraries.
- In a rails controller, I liked the icons in the left margin that open up the view for that method.
- The edited text indicator in the left margin is nice.
- Can't switch between windows/frames/projects with the keybaord. I had each project open in a different window and the only way I could switch between them (without moving them) was to right-click the RubyMine icon on the dock and select the other one from the menu. My assumption would be that command-` (the key with the tick and tilde) would switch between windows - this is the Mac OS X standard. Instead that key combo brings up a quck switch scheme dialog. This is the biggest issue I have, very annoying.
- I couldn't figure out how to get the editor to wrap lines. I really don't line horizontal scroll bars. I want to be able to toggle lines to wrap at the window width and/or the right margin column width.
- Why doesn't the tab key do anything in the editor? I keep hitting it and nothing happens.
- syntax coloring for ruby doesn't distinguish between constants and class/module names.
- I am really annoyed that you can place the cursor past the end of a line where ever you click. When you click past the end of the text on a line, the cursor should 'snap' to the end of that actual content of the line (including spaces). I keep thinking that I have a whole ton of spaces after all my lines of code.
That's what I got after one day. I hope it's helpful.