Metrics Reloaded

So I was watching t.v. the other night, and matrix reloaded came on, and I rememberd all the cool things that Dave said he was going to do.

- Comparisons with common measurements found in open source projects.
- The ability to apply the metrics to a subset of the project (perhaps on a folder by folder basis?)

Also, I'm trying to run the Object dependencies metric on my project (about 3000 classes or so), and I am 4 hours into the analysis, only 13 percent complete. I'm not sure what makes that paricular metric slow, but I think it's a function of project size.

Perhaps it's basically doing a recursive find-usages on every class.

Any progress on Metrics Revolutions :)

Mike

18 comments

I see you're not having much luck either with reviving
MetricsReloaded (I tried it three weeks ago, too)

C'mon Dave publish your fix for the dependency analysis! :)

Vince.


0

Due to the long-hinted-at special project(s) coming to fruition, there simply hasn't been time for me to provide any support to MetricsReloaded, and probably won't be anytime soon. I hereby surrender that fantasy.

If anyone is interested in becoming the maintainer of MetricsReloaded, drop me a line. If the special project(s) go like I think they will, being a successful MR maintainer could have positive financial effects in the medium term.

--Dave Griffith

0

Hey Dave,

Dave Griffith wrote:

If anyone is interested in becoming the maintainer of
MetricsReloaded, drop me a line. If the special project(s) go like I
think they will, being a successful MR maintainer could have positive
financial effects in the medium term.


If you still haven't found anyone to maintain this plugin I would be
willing to make an effort. MetricsReloaded is too popular and too useful
to just leave it in the current state. I don't know how much time I have
to actually implement new features (Inspection Gadgets needs those a
lot too), but I'm sure I can fix some bugs. And perhaps more people
would be willing to submit enhancements if the source was publicly
available.

Bas

0

any news on this? i need a few extra metrics and im considering adding them myself as there doesnt seem to be any activity on this plugin otherwise. i'd be interested in knowing if someone has taken over maintaining this and doing any work and what work if any.. is there an issue tracker somewhere with tracking for metrics reloaded? i'd like to check if there are any bugs known that i need to know of too.. of course the source didnt seem too much documented wither but i guess there will be no help available on that.. :)

-teemu

0

Oh! I didn't realize the source was included with the plugin until your
message.

I haven't yet heard from Dave about this, but I'm pretty sure he will be
happy if somebody starts maintaining this plugin. If you're up to it,
you can be Metrics Reloadeds new maintainer. I'm willing to do it too,
if you're mainly interested in adding a few metrics and not much else.
Let me know.

Currently there is no issue tracker and no source control for Metrics
Reloaded. There are a bunch of error reports and feature requests on
this forum. I'll start collecting those.

Bas

teemu kanstren wrote:

any news on this? i need a few extra metrics and im considering
adding them myself as there doesnt seem to be any activity on this
plugin otherwise. i'd be interested in knowing if someone has taken
over maintaining this and doing any work and what work if any.. is
there an issue tracker somewhere with tracking for metrics reloaded?
i'd like to check if there are any bugs known that i need to know of
too.. of course the source didnt seem too much documented wither but
i guess there will be no help available on that.. :)

-teemu

0

Sorry I've been dilatory in responding to this, but interesting things have been occuring with the status of MetricsReloaded, and I haven't been at liberty to talk about them. Apologies especially to Bas, whose e-mail on this has been sitting in my inbox, unresponded to, for an unconscionably long period of time.

Maintenance of MetricsReloaded is going to be transfered to Sixth and Red River Software (http://www.sixthandredriver.com). They're going to finish off some stuff I'd been working on, fix the known bugs, polish it up, write a boatload more documentation, and generally take ownership of it. MetricsReloaded will still be free, and still be open source, although Sixth and Red River will undoubtedly be less flippant about licensing than I have been. I've transferred my copyrights to them, and pointed out contributions of others (not too many), which they will be stripping from the product and rewriting. Expect to be hearing something from them shortly, and a release in not too long.

Why would a commercial company do that? As I understand it, the idea is to build and sell MetricsReloaded Pro, which will run as a plugin to the new build server in Demetra. Centralizing metrics calculation to a build server and displaying it on a project dashboard makes much more sense than interactive metrics runs ever did, and they think they can leverage my infrastructure and metrics calculation code into a valuable high-end product that will make dev managers drool. We'll see.

--Dave Griffith

0

Great! As long as this plugin continues to be maintained and improved,
I'm happy and it's less work for me too. Let's see what a bit of
commercial interest will do for its development and support.

Bas

Dave Griffith wrote:

Sorry I've been dilatory in responding to this, but interesting
things have been occuring with the status of MetricsReloaded, and I
haven't been at liberty to talk about them. Apologies especially to
Bas, whose e-mail on this has been sitting in my inbox, unresponded
to, for an unconscionably long period of time.

Maintenance of MetricsReloaded is going to be transfered to Sixth and
Red River Software (http://www.sixthandredriver.com). They're going
to finish off some stuff I'd been working on, fix the known bugs,
polish it up, write a boatload more documentation, and generally take
ownership of it. MetricsReloaded will still be free, and still be
open source, although Sixth and Red River will undoubtedly be less
flippant about licensing than I have been. I've transferred my
copyrights to them, and pointed out contributions of others (not too
many), which they will be stripping from the product and rewriting.
Expect to be hearing something from them shortly, and a release in
not too long.

Why would a commercial company do that? As I understand it, the idea
is to build and sell MetricsReloaded Pro, which will run as a plugin
to the new build server in Demetra. Centralizing metrics calculation
to a build server and displaying it on a project dashboard makes much
more sense than interactive metrics runs ever did, and they think
they can leverage my infrastructure and metrics calculation code into
a valuable high-end product that will make dev managers drool. We'll
see.

--Dave Griffith

0

Excellent!
I'm glad to see MR is going to be alive again. Does SRRS care to hear about
new suggestions? :)

Vince.


0

Of course. We do have the existing requests that people made, and are evaluating and prioritizing those, but we're certainly glad to hear any requests you have. Until we have a dedicated forum set up, you can either post them here, or mail them to info@sixthandredriver.com .

Sixth and Red River Software
"Code with Grace and Verve"

0

Until we have a dedicated forum set up,...

You might consider to use this:
http://www.jforum.net/index.jsp

Since it's 100% java based, it feels like PHPBB(can migrate from it), but it doesn't
have PHPs security problems.

Ahmed.

0

Let me know if you would like us to provide Tracker, forums and SVN. We
are going to do it for IDEA-related open source project very soon (as
soon as we finished redesign of plugins.intellij.net)

Sixth and Red River Software wrote:

Of course. We do have the existing requests that people made, and are evaluating and prioritizing those, but we're certainly glad to hear any requests you have. Until we have a dedicated forum set up, you can either post them here, or mail them to info@sixthandredriver.com .

Sixth and Red River Software
"Code with Grace and Verve"

0

Yes it is nice to know it will be more actively maintained. As for requests, the metrics i need atm are LCOM (C&K or one of the variants) for cohesion, and Abreus AHF+MHF for encapsulation (or some other if you got a good suggestion) and C&K RFC. I don't have my stuff here so I might not remember it all.

Got any timetables or roadmap you could share? I could use any docs or useful stuff you can give since if this takes a while to get I will just implement those myself if I manage. So anything useful would be nice to have.. :) If your stuff will be free I can toss whatever I get done over for you to check if it would be useful. Got any CVS, SVN or such for it that we can maybe use for getting bugfixes you make etc prior to your releases?

The IntellilJ SVN etc sounds very good for plugins etc too. Nice to hear progress on this.

thanks,
-t

0


As for a roadmap, we'll be putting out the 0.6 release this weekend. It will be largely bug fixes and performance enhancements, but with a few new features and better documentation. LCOM and RFC are in our roadmap for the 0.7 release. The MOOD metrics (including AHF and MHF) didn't make the cut (we didn't think anyone was interested), but we'll reconsider. We will be putting the sources up on our site, http://www.sixthandredriver.com, with each release, but probably won't have a public SVN available.

Sixth and Red River Software
"Code with Grace and Verve"

0


Sure, we'd love to have Sascha hook us up with forums and JIRA when you guys open up the plugins site. That simplifies things a lot.

Sixth and Red River Software
"Code with Grace and Verve"

0

A few things that I might already have suggested in the past:

The UI to get MR going is a little cumbersome, it could be made more
IDEA-like. For example, the separate "Specify Metrics Scope" dialog when
running metrics could be removed and merged into the main dialog.

I think there's a lot that could be done around the cycle graph.
- Legends could help.
- Better layout could help also.
- Capability to hide non-relevant part of the graph.
- Making classnames clickable with automatic "jump to source" (So I can
have the graph on one side and jump to all related source files).
- Ctrl-Shift-I type of funtionality to instantly see where in the code the
link is happening (depending on which side of the graph I'm clicking on, or
the classname, etc).
- Hover over classnames, arc weights, arcs etcs could pop up useful
information for the relevant item.
- Configuring what makes a cycle (for example, should an import trigger a
one-way relationship or not? In a codebase with lots of unused imports, the
graph can quickly become ugly).
- When selecting a node, highlight node and arcs pointing directly to it
(or directly out of it, or both). If an arc is highlighted (bolded maybe),
its weight should be highlighted too (sometimes it's difficult to see which
weight number belongs to which arc).

The use case that I've been facing a few times is this: given a massive code
base, how do I find cycles and investigate what they are and why they are
there, especially when one is not necessarily familiar with the said
codebase. Turning this dependency graph into a powerful investigation and
navigation tool would be awesome.

Good luck SRRS, and thanks again to Dave for the wonderful work he has done
with this tool.

Vince.

(completely unrelated question: Dave, have your path crossed Trilogy in the
past?)


0

+Dave, have your path crossed Trilogy in the
past?+

I worked at Trilogy from 1998 to early 2003, and have only the fondest of memories.

--Dave Griffith

0

I worked at Trilogy from 1998 to early 2003, and have only the fondest of
memories.


It's a small world :) I guess we overlapped between 1999 and 2001 then!

Vince.


0

OK thanks, it is good news you are adding LCOM and RFC. Is it C&K LCOM or some variation or both? Do you have full C&K set now then? I just looked over the current version again and seems NOC is missing too. MOOD is probably not that much used but there are not too many other metrics around for encapsulation, polymorphism etc if one is interested in those. I think it would be nice to have at least some simple measure of encapsulation available also such as some ratio between private/package/protected/public inside class(es). Perhaps instead of MOOD you could add something like that? In fact I think I would like some simpler encapsulation measure like that at class level over AHF/MHF anyway, though I wouldn't mind both of course :). I can look around and give a few suggestions if you are interested.

thanks for the information,
-t

0

Please sign in to leave a comment.