JBoss plugin NPE when running local configuration

I have a EJB3 application running on JBossAS 5.0.0alpha. EAR consists of 4 EJB modules (.par, .ejb3, .sar, .spring (special Spring deployer)) and a WAR module. EJB (they are really EJB3) modules don't require xml descriptors from EJB2.1 spec, so I have to manually delete them every time before deploy.
It was all running normally. Now I get the NPE (see below). I updated the plugin (before 2.4) to 2.9, but no change.
I don't know exactly what I changed (since I think I didn't change anything significant at all), to make this exception.

Any ideas?

Thans and rgds,
Ales

NPE (I hope it is useful, despite obfuscation):
java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.fuhrer.idea.plugin.jboss.fm.a(fm.java)
at com.fuhrer.idea.plugin.jboss.fm.a(fm.java:16)
at com.fuhrer.idea.plugin.jboss.fm.createServerInstance(fm.java:29)
at com.intellij.j2ee.run.configuration.CommonStrategy.createServerInstance(CommonStrategy.java:58)
at com.intellij.j2ee.run.execution.ExecutionHelper.a(ExecutionHelper.java:72)
at com.intellij.j2ee.run.execution.ExecutionHelper.getServerInstance(ExecutionHelper.java:59)
at com.intellij.j2ee.run.execution.PatchedLocalState.execute(PatchedLocalState.java:22)
at com.intellij.execution.runners.RunStrategy.a(RunStrategy.java:33)
at com.intellij.execution.runners.RunStrategy.access$000(RunStrategy.java:44)
at com.intellij.execution.runners.RunStrategy$3.run(RunStrategy.java:14)
at com.intellij.execution.impl.ExecutionManagerImpl$1.run(ExecutionManagerImpl.java:7)
at com.intellij.openapi.application.impl.LaterInvocatorEx$FlushQueue.run(LaterInvocatorEx.java:16)
at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:209)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:461)
at com.intellij.ide.IdeEventQueue.defaultDispatchEvent(IdeEventQueue.java:65)
at com.intellij.ide.IdeEventQueue.a(IdeEventQueue.java:56)
at com.intellij.ide.IdeEventQueue.dispatchEvent(IdeEventQueue.java:160)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:242)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:163)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:153)
at java.awt.Dialog$1.run(Dialog.java:515)
at java.awt.Dialog.show(Dialog.java:536)
at com.intellij.openapi.ui.impl.DialogWrapperPeerImpl$MyDialog.show(DialogWrapperPeerImpl.java:48)
at com.intellij.openapi.ui.impl.DialogWrapperPeerImpl.show(DialogWrapperPeerImpl.java:56)
at com.intellij.openapi.ui.DialogWrapper.show(DialogWrapper.java:722)
at com.intellij.compiler.progress.CompilerProgressIndicator$2.run(CompilerProgressIndicator.java:6)
at com.intellij.openapi.application.impl.LaterInvocatorEx$FlushQueue.run(LaterInvocatorEx.java:16)
at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:209)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:461)
at com.intellij.ide.IdeEventQueue.defaultDispatchEvent(IdeEventQueue.java:65)
at com.intellij.ide.IdeEventQueue.a(IdeEventQueue.java:56)
at com.intellij.ide.IdeEventQueue.dispatchEvent(IdeEventQueue.java:160)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:242)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:163)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:157)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:149)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:110)

8 comments

Ales,

JBoss 5.x is not supported by the plugin yet, and I simply can't imagine
how you got anything working with it. The NPE is just an unfriendly way
to tell you that you're server version isn't supported.

Didn't you get an (unsupported) mark when you created the server instance?

Regards,
Martin

Ales Justin wrote:

I have a EJB3 application running on JBossAS 5.0.0alpha. EAR consists of 4 EJB modules (.par, .ejb3, .sar, .spring (special Spring deployer)) and a WAR module. EJB (they are really EJB3) modules don't require xml descriptors from EJB2.1 spec, so I have to manually delete them every time before deploy.
It was all running normally. Now I get the NPE (see below). I updated the plugin (before 2.4) to 2.9, but no change.
I don't know exactly what I changed (since I think I didn't change anything significant at all), to make this exception.

Any ideas?

Thans and rgds,
Ales

NPE (I hope it is useful, despite obfuscation):
java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.fuhrer.idea.plugin.jboss.fm.a(fm.java)
at com.fuhrer.idea.plugin.jboss.fm.a(fm.java:16)
at com.fuhrer.idea.plugin.jboss.fm.createServerInstance(fm.java:29)
at com.intellij.j2ee.run.configuration.CommonStrategy.createServerInstance(CommonStrategy.java:58)
at com.intellij.j2ee.run.execution.ExecutionHelper.a(ExecutionHelper.java:72)
at com.intellij.j2ee.run.execution.ExecutionHelper.getServerInstance(ExecutionHelper.java:59)
at com.intellij.j2ee.run.execution.PatchedLocalState.execute(PatchedLocalState.java:22)
at com.intellij.execution.runners.RunStrategy.a(RunStrategy.java:33)
at com.intellij.execution.runners.RunStrategy.access$000(RunStrategy.java:44)
at com.intellij.execution.runners.RunStrategy$3.run(RunStrategy.java:14)
at com.intellij.execution.impl.ExecutionManagerImpl$1.run(ExecutionManagerImpl.java:7)
at com.intellij.openapi.application.impl.LaterInvocatorEx$FlushQueue.run(LaterInvocatorEx.java:16)
at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:209)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:461)
at com.intellij.ide.IdeEventQueue.defaultDispatchEvent(IdeEventQueue.java:65)
at com.intellij.ide.IdeEventQueue.a(IdeEventQueue.java:56)
at com.intellij.ide.IdeEventQueue.dispatchEvent(IdeEventQueue.java:160)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:242)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:163)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:153)
at java.awt.Dialog$1.run(Dialog.java:515)
at java.awt.Dialog.show(Dialog.java:536)
at com.intellij.openapi.ui.impl.DialogWrapperPeerImpl$MyDialog.show(DialogWrapperPeerImpl.java:48)
at com.intellij.openapi.ui.impl.DialogWrapperPeerImpl.show(DialogWrapperPeerImpl.java:56)
at com.intellij.openapi.ui.DialogWrapper.show(DialogWrapper.java:722)
at com.intellij.compiler.progress.CompilerProgressIndicator$2.run(CompilerProgressIndicator.java:6)
at com.intellij.openapi.application.impl.LaterInvocatorEx$FlushQueue.run(LaterInvocatorEx.java:16)
at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:209)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:461)
at com.intellij.ide.IdeEventQueue.defaultDispatchEvent(IdeEventQueue.java:65)
at com.intellij.ide.IdeEventQueue.a(IdeEventQueue.java:56)
at com.intellij.ide.IdeEventQueue.dispatchEvent(IdeEventQueue.java:160)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:242)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:163)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:157)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:149)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:110)


--
Martin Fuhrer
Fuhrer Engineering AG
http://www.fuhrer.com

0

>>Didn't you get an (unsupported) mark when you created the server instance?
Yes.

But the funny thing is that the thing worked (and is working for my co-worker right now).
It simply stopped working.

Basically, my 5.x is a 4.0.2 enhanced with EJB3 and my Spring deployer support.

What could be the problem (which JBossAS libraries could be the cause?)?

Rgds, Ales

0

It's not a library, it's simply the version name which isn't recognized.

OK, there's one thing you can do. In
${idea.config.path}/options/other.xml you should have something like this:

Now stop IDEA and change the value of JBOSS_VERSION to 4.0.3 (while IDEA isn't running). After restarting IDEA there's a big chance that things will be OK again. Ales Justin wrote: >>>]]> Didn't you get an (unsupported) mark when you created the server instance?

Yes.

But the funny thing is that the thing worked (and is working for my co-worker right now).
It simply stopped working.

Basically, my 5.x is a 4.0.2 enhanced with EJB3 and my Spring deployer support.

What could be the problem (which JBossAS libraries could be the cause?)?

Rgds, Ales


--
Martin Fuhrer
Fuhrer Engineering AG
http://www.fuhrer.com

0

Tried that.
The thing is that IDEA changes other.xml at runtime.
Does it read AppServer config from somewhere else or does it tell the plugin to check the version?
So my version still stays "5.0.0alpha".

0

Let me do some tests tomorrow. I'm quite sure we'll find a solution.

Tried that.
The thing is that IDEA changes other.xml at runtime.
Does it read AppServer config from somewhere else or
does it tell the plugin to check the version?
So my version still stays "5.0.0alpha".


0

Great!

Thanx for the effort.
If there is anything to do to help, feel free to ask.

0

Tweaking the version number in other.xml works fine here. You just have
to avoid opening the application servers configuration panel.

Ales Justin wrote:

Great!

Thanx for the effort.
If there is anything to do to help, feel free to ask.


--
Martin Fuhrer
Fuhrer Engineering AG
http://www.fuhrer.com

0

Yep, that did the trick. Thanx!
When can we expect a new version supporting this kind of problems? :)

0

Please sign in to leave a comment.