How to use Kiwi Scrap?

So far I was using Scrappy for yuick calculations and algorithm
prototyping. The only thing I'm missing is capturing of the System.out
and System.err streams. I have noticed that KS says that it builds on
Scrappy and adds new features, but when I tried to run it I couldn't
even make it instantiate a simple object...

e.g. when I enter the statement: new java.util.Date();

I can print it, inspect it and run it in Scrappy. Kiwi Scrap tells me
that it's not a valid expression.

It would be well appreciated if the author could a list of the new
features and perhaps some short tutorial.

TIA,
Dimitar

6 comments
Comment actions Permalink

In KiwiScrap you have 2 execution modes:
1) Run - The code snippet will be wrapped in a method without a return value. For outputs to the console you can use the always available variable out of the type PrintWriter.
2) Evaluate - The code snippet will be wrapped in a method with a return value. The last line will be considered as return statement and must therefore contain a expression.

Example:
1)


Use 'Run' to execute this snippet. 'Evaluate' will create an error.
2)

Use 'Evaluate' to execute this snippet. 'Run' will complain about the missing ';'.

0
Comment actions Permalink

Great! Could you add this as a small help dialog in the next release?

BTW, if you do this, you can mention there is one more mode - "Inspect"
works just like "Evaluate", but it gives you the results in a bean
inspector.

On a side note, a very usefull feature would be if the OpenAPI allows to
use the native IDEA inspector (this would give us access to the new
debugger views)

cheers,
Dimitar



Stefan Stiller wrote:

In KiwiScrap you have 2 execution modes:
1) Run - The code snippet will be wrapped in a method without a return value. For outputs to the console you can use the always available variable out of the type PrintWriter.
2) Evaluate - The code snippet will be wrapped in a method with a return value. The last line will be considered as return statement and must therefore contain a expression.

Example:
1)



Use 'Run' to execute this snippet. 'Evaluate' will create an error.
2)


Use 'Evaluate' to execute this snippet. 'Run' will complain about the missing ';'.

0
Comment actions Permalink

I'm using kiwiscrap 1.2 plugin in IntelliJ 4.5

I tried both the options (run & evaluate) without any success.

Running the following
out.println(new java.util.Date());

gives the error
Compiling error: $Test:1: expected (source unavailable) 1 error Evaluating the same gives following error: Compiling error: $Test:1: expected (source unavailable) $Test:2: ')' expected (source unavailable) $Test:2: illegal start of expression (source unavailable) $Test:2: 'void' type not allowed here (source unavailable) 4 errors Evaluating new java.util.Date() gives Compiling error: $Test:1: expected (source unavailable) 1 error ]]>

Please let me know what am I doing wrong.

0
Comment actions Permalink

It looks like you used the keyword 'import' in the Main Imports or
Imports field. The import fields must only contain a comma separate
list of packages or classes but not the keyword itself.

Bye,
Stefan.

Karthikeyan wrote:

I'm using kiwiscrap 1.2 plugin in IntelliJ 4.5

I tried both the options (run & evaluate) without any success.

Running the following
out.println(new java.util.Date());

gives the error
<error>
Compiling error:
$Test:1: <identifier> expected

(source unavailable)

1 error
</error>

Evaluating the same gives following error:
<error>
Compiling error:
$Test:1: <identifier> expected

(source unavailable)

$Test:2: ')' expected

(source unavailable)

$Test:2: illegal start of expression

(source unavailable)

$Test:2: 'void' type not allowed here

(source unavailable)

4 errors
</error>


Evaluating
new java.util.Date()

gives
<error>
Compiling error:
$Test:1: <identifier> expected

(source unavailable)

1 error
</error>

Please let me know what am I doing wrong.

0
Comment actions Permalink

It works!!! Thanks a lot!

Is there any documents available for this tool? Is the source code open & if yes, where can I download them?

Thanks again for the help.

0
Comment actions Permalink

There is currently no documentation available. I will add something if I
have time.
The source code is bundle with the plugin. See file src.zip in folder
<IDEA-HOME>\plugins\ks-scrap.

Bye,
Stefan.


Karthikeyan wrote:

It works!!! Thanks a lot!

Is there any documents available for this tool? Is the source code open & if yes, where can I download them?

Thanks again for the help.

0

Please sign in to leave a comment.