PerforceDirectPlugin suggestion

Richard:

I have a suggestion for the PerforceDirectPlugin.

My P4 server is far away so some operations are pretty slow. It would be
nice if there were some sort of status dialog box or something that told me
what I was waiting for. (It's a bit disconcerting the way it is because IDEA
just freezes while the P4 operation is taking place.)

I think this feature should be a low priority, but I wanted to mention it
now before I forgot about it.


Erik

P.S. Thanks again for the excellent plugin!


5 comments

Erik Hanson wrote:

My P4 server is far away so some operations are pretty slow. It would be
nice if there were some sort of status dialog box or something that told me
what I was waiting for. (It's a bit disconcerting the way it is because IDEA
just freezes while the P4 operation is taking place.)

I think this feature should be a low priority, but I wanted to mention it
now before I forgot about it.


I have been alrady thining about ways to let user know p4 action is in progress.
The options I see (not necessarily exclusive) are:
- change mouse cursor
- write something to status bar (if possible)
- open a non-closable window (or closable to cancel the operation?)
- use the tool window
(I already plan to show the commands in the tool window - past 1.0
instead of the ugly output to the console, but not sure about the
toolwindow design - I'd like to have there several different things,
including seeing current open files' statuses, commands, files on
server (to be able to sync, etc) as well as changelist)

Please, let me know what you think
- what could be easier to use (and how)
- what could be easier to implement (I'm no Swinger)

r.

0

"Richard Nemec" <rndzank@attbi.com> wrote in message
news:b76uu3$770$1@is.intellij.net...

I have been alrady thining about ways to let user know p4 action is in

progress.

The options I see (not necessarily exclusive) are:
- change mouse cursor
- write something to status bar (if possible)
- open a non-closable window (or closable to cancel the operation?)
- use the tool window
(I already plan to show the commands in the tool window - past 1.0
instead of the ugly output to the console, but not sure about the
toolwindow design - I'd like to have there several different things,
including seeing current open files' statuses, commands, files on
server (to be able to sync, etc) as well as changelist)

>

Please, let me know what you think
- what could be easier to use (and how)
- what could be easier to implement (I'm no Swinger)


If I'm unable to perform any actions in IDEA until the plugin is done doing
its thing (which is fine with me), then a non-closable window (or a window
with a cancel button, though that might leave P4 in a weird state) seems
like the best option to me.

Can you re-use IDEA's status window (the one that it shows when compiling,
etc.)?


Erik


0

Erik Hanson wrote:

If I'm unable to perform any actions in IDEA until the plugin is done doing
its thing (which is fine with me), then a non-closable window (or a window
with a cancel button, though that might leave P4 in a weird state) seems
like the best option to me.


Please, try the version 0.9.4 - I've put there some attempt to provide
that type of window. Don't hesitate to say it's ugly.

Can you re-use IDEA's status window (the one that it shows when compiling,
etc.)?


As far as I know, I can't. I could create a new ToolWindow but that will not
happen before ver 1.0.

0

"Richard Nemec" <rndzank@attbi.com> wrote in message
news:b7ikt3$qlo$1@is.intellij.net...

Erik Hanson wrote:

If I'm unable to perform any actions in IDEA until the plugin is done

doing

its thing (which is fine with me), then a non-closable window (or a

window

with a cancel button, though that might leave P4 in a weird state) seems
like the best option to me.

>

Please, try the version 0.9.4 - I've put there some attempt to provide
that type of window. Don't hesitate to say it's ugly.


It's not ugly at all, but it is a bit too small. The "abort" button gets cut
off, as does the status message (at least on my machine (Win2K)).


Erik


0

Erik Hanson wrote:

it is a bit too small. The "abort" button gets cut
off, as does the status message (at least on my machine (Win2K)).


I'll try to make it look (sized) better.

r.

0

Please sign in to leave a comment.