Plugin error reporter via email

Is there a standard "blame this stacktrace on a plugin by email"
component in the OpenAPI at all?

Mark

5 comments
Comment actions Permalink

I would like one, so if you write one, I would help, although it seems
like an easy thing to implement.

I think it would be great if JB would write a simple web site, maybe on
plugins.intellij.net, where exceptions were automatically posted, if a
plugin has not specified a blame handler. You could go there to see if
any exceptions have been thrown for your plugin. Also, it could send the
plugin author an email each day that 1 or more exceptions were reported
for his or her plugins.

Mark Derricutt wrote:

Is there a standard "blame this stacktrace on a plugin by email"
component in the OpenAPI at all?

Mark

0
Comment actions Permalink

Keith Lea wrote:

I would like one, so if you write one, I would help, although it seems
like an easy thing to implement.


I've thought about this as well, but came to the conclusion that even if it's easy to
implement using JavaMail API, it's too inconvenient for the user who has to properly
configure the SMTP server, etc. first. That's especially hard because in some environments
(e.g. Lotus Notes) the clients don't necessarily have direct access to an SMTP server.

Posting exceptions via HTTP seems to be the only way that's sufficiently convenient and
easy to use for both the author and the user.

I think it would be great if JB would write a simple web site, maybe on
plugins.intellij.net, where exceptions were automatically posted, if a
plugin has not specified a blame handler. You could go there to see if
any exceptions have been thrown for your plugin. Also, it could send the
plugin author an email each day that 1 or more exceptions were reported
for his or her plugins.


This would probably be the best solution for those plugin authors that don't have their
own webspace to post exceptions to. Some kind of HTTP->Email gateway would be a great
thing without too much trouble for JB to set up or maintain.

Sascha

0
Comment actions Permalink

Sascha

>
>it's too inconvenient for the user who has to properly configure the SMTP server, etc. first.
>

>

The simplest smtp config I know of is through gmail: all the user has to
provide is his gmail account id and password.
=> you can use Google smtp server: smtp.gmail.com, port 465, SSL
There is a similar solution if you have a dotmac account.

(This is what I use for quick-config in the zipToGmail plugin .)


Alain

0
Comment actions Permalink

Alain Ravet wrote:

The simplest smtp config I know of is through gmail: all the user has to
provide is his gmail account id and password.
=> you can use Google smtp server: smtp.gmail.com, port 465, SSL
There is a similar solution if you have a dotmac account.


Alain, I'm afraid that doesn't work for a lot of corporate environments out there. There's
a good chance that normal workstations are not allowed to create a network connection to
an arbitrary internet service. This works for private use, if you're the firewall admin or
are very good friends with him, but it will leave a lot of people out in the cold. HTTP,
usually over a proxy, is the only reliable way that most people are able to use for such
purposes.

Oh, and I don't know if I'd feel good about letting a 3rd party plugin know any login
details for a (public) mail server. It's not a big issue, but there should be better way.

Sascha

0
Comment actions Permalink

Sascha Weinreuter wrote:

This would probably be the best solution for those plugin authors that don't have their
own webspace to post exceptions to. Some kind of HTTP->Email gateway would be a great
thing without too much trouble for JB to set up or maintain.


I also would prefer the simplest way. Just one JSP/Servlet that accepts
all exceptions posts (per HTTP).
Then there may be some sort of email-notification / WebService / XML, so
that the plugin authors may fetch the reports in their prefered way.

But I think there won't be too many users that install such an
"phoning-home-plugin"...


Johannes Schneider

0

Please sign in to leave a comment.