Plugins is one of the few areas that the IDEA editor trails behind the other
Editors (like Eclipse, Netbeans and JBuilder). I believe that the best way
to promote, develop and improve the IDEA plugins is to have a central source
- Allow the community (and maybe even the IDEA developers) to contribute
ideas, support and bug / version fixes to
- Help manage plugin development (instead of leaving it up to the individual
plugin developer). This includes bug tracking, release plans, feature
- Lower plugin development barriers by providing a development standard,
package structure and a hosting location.
- Speed up development by having many very good examples of actual plugins
- Provide a single place to download plugins
- Ease the migration of a plugin from one release to the next release of
- Share code, ideas and tips.
I believe that this will lift IDEA plugins above those of other Editors.
I have registered a project at: https://sourceforge.net/projects/ideaplugin/
It is only in a very early stage.
What I would like to know is:
1) Is there support for this idea?
2) Would other plugin developer be prepared to contribute their plugins
3) Is there anything else that we can do to promote IDEA plugin development
(i.e. maybe there should be a free (but limited) version)