Debugging Remote Flex Application in Intellij - NPE & Call Stack/Variables Empty

Hi all,

We have a flex application that I am attempting to debug remotely using Intellij.  I have set up a Flex build configuration and I have a created a flex debug configuration.  I built/run my app (debug is turned on) - start my flex debug configuration - and then navigate to the app in the browser - and everything seems fine.  The debugger connects, and gives the following output:

Waiting for Player to connect
Player connected; session starting.
[trace] WARNING: For content targeting Flash Player version 14 or higher, ExternalInterface escapes strings using JSON conventions. To maintain compatibility, content published to earlier Flash Player versions continues to use the legacy escaping behavior.


This seems fine.  I can set a breakpoint in my app - and the breakpoint hits!  But there are no variables, watches don't work, and where the call stack should be, I see:

For diagnostic purposes stack trace follows: in {breakpoint classname}:{breakpoint linenumber}


In my Flex Debug configuration Console, this error is outputted:

java.lang.NullPointerException
 at flash.tools.debugger.concrete.PlayerSession.pullUpActivationObjectVariables(PlayerSession.java:1007)
 at flash.tools.debugger.concrete.PlayerSession.requestFrame(PlayerSession.java:984)
 at flash.tools.debugger.concrete.DStackContext.populate(DStackContext.java:156)
 at flash.tools.debugger.concrete.DStackContext.getArguments(DStackContext.java:74)
 at flex.tools.debugger.cli.DebugCLI.appendFrameInfo(DebugCLI.java:1202)
 at flex.tools.debugger.cli.DebugCLI.doInfoStack(DebugCLI.java:1167)
 at flex.tools.debugger.cli.DebugCLI.processLine(DebugCLI.java:6471)
 at flex.tools.debugger.cli.DebugCLI.process(DebugCLI.java:727)
 at flex.tools.debugger.cli.DebugCLI.execute(DebugCLI.java:569)
 at flex.tools.debugger.cli.DebugCLI.main(DebugCLI.java:374)


Each time a breakpoint hits.  Any ideas or suggestions on how I can fix my debugger so all of this is working properly?  Any help would be greatly apprecited, I feel confident I've tried my best to exhaust all information I can find on this topic and have resorted to this post.

Help!
2 comments
Comment actions Permalink

This exception comes from the FDB tool (included in Flex SDK) that is used by IntellliJ IDEA for debugging. What Flex SDK version do you use? Flex SDK is open source and here's a link to the problematic file. If the problem is not fixed yet in the most recent Flex SDK version you can contact Apache Flex team or even contribute the fix yourselves. Sample project to reproduce the issue would be great.
Also logs may help to understand the cause. To get logs click Help | Configure Debug Log Settings and add "com.intellij.lang.javascript.flex.debug" category there (without quotes). After that reproduce the problem and attach idea.log file here (Help | Show Log).

0
Comment actions Permalink

Yep, this is the correct answer.  We build our application with Flex 3.6 using maven, so I was attempting to debug with the same SDK version.  I downloaded the new SDK (4.6) and pointed my Flex configuration to it and everything is working properly.

Thanks for your help!

1

Please sign in to leave a comment.