I'm working on my current assignment and the deployment part involves few steps, which I'd like to automate:
- work the code
- build jar (it's a standalone app, no application server involved)
- upload jar to the remote machine
- start the JVM with the JAR on the remote machine
- debug/test the started JVM
So far I've been able to automate a little bit using IDEA (13.1.6), but I believe it could be done better, I just don't know how:
- I work the code and once I'm done I build the JAR artifact (either via build artifact or mvn package)
- With the hit of Ctrl + S I upload the JAR
- I've setup remote host with SFTP upload and mapping of the JAR
- I run my Debug configuration which connects me to the target JVM
- Debug configuration runs my External SSH tool before that starts java with hardcoded jar path and debug options
I gues I am missing something like 'Upload' action in the 'Before launch' section of the run configuration; then I could specify make/build artifact/upload/externalSshRun 'Before launch' actions.
So my request is if any of you guys have experience with remote deployment and running of project from within IDEA - some smoother run configuration ideas would be welcome.
Thank you in advance.