I don't mean to be too harsh or ignore the effort you put into this, but,
after playing with the UML functionality for half an hour, I have to say
that I find it completely... inadequate.
First of all, what's the main purpose of this piece of functionality? I see
it does different things, some in completely new ways, but I couldn't really
figure out how it's supposed to help me. I used various UML tools over the
years (both for creating diagrams and reverse engineer code), but this one
seems the most unusual of them all.
Here's a short list of things that I find highly confusing:
- things move around all the time (I use my diagrams for reference, I don't
need things dancing around all the time). But maybe that's not the intended
purpose of this...
- zoom level is reset every time the above reshufling happens (along with
the above one, these two render the tool useless for anything but trivial
5 classes demo projects)
- same actions, different outcomes depending on various factors (diagrams
for packages available only from package view, but under the same name, click
on a class is either selecting it or completely changing the layout if the
show dependencies option is selected)
- most of the actions are hidden behind some shortcuts, while the context
menu shows the same generic stuff
- dependencies not shown between packages (at least some of them) and I don't
know how to make them show up. Random navigation with collapse and expand
did bring some of them up at some point
- expand package sometimes drills into one package, sometimes just resets
the current package view. Couldn't figure out what happens when
- similarly, collapse to package produces unclear results
- no navigation back and forth for the expand/collapse jumps (if I understood
what they're supposed to do for me in the first place)
- couldn't figure out how to bring dependencies for a class in the diagram
(something like what the UML plugin used to do). Not sure if it's implemented,
or planned, though...
- I see I can create fields/methods and inheritance relationships, but other
diagraming options are not available. So it's definitely not a diagraming
I'll stop here, now. I've checked the help pages, I've played with it and
I failed to figure out how I'm supposed to benefit from it being part of
IDEA. I really hope I'm missing something fundamental here, though...
Maybe you should consider offering it as a separate plugin until it matures
a bit, I don't think it's fit for a bundled plugin in its current state.