8940 - Customize Main Toolbar messed up

I went in to Settings/Customizations to add a macro button to the end of my custom main toolbar, and although everything looked fine in the Customizations 'Main Toolbar' tree, when I OK'd it and returned to the editor, the main toolbar was littered with multiple copies of the 'New Archive', 'Make Archive' and 'Create Ant Script' buttons (see attached images of main toolbar customization and resulting toolbar).

I went back in to the Customizations window to correct this, but it all looks fine in there. I even deleted my custom main toolbar so the default was used, but the problem persists :(



Attachment(s):
idea toolbar.jpg
idea customizations.jpg
8 comments
Comment actions Permalink

Hello Dave,

Could you please send me USER_HOME/IntelliJ IDEA8.0/config/options/customization.xml?

Thank you

-


Anna Kozlova
JetBrains Inc.
http://www.intellij.com
"Develop with pleasure!"

I went in to Settings/Customizations to add a macro button to the end
of my custom main toolbar, and although everything looked fine in the
Customizations 'Main Toolbar' tree, when I OK'd it and returned to the
editor, the main toolbar was littered with multiple copies of the 'New
Archive', 'Make Archive' and 'Create Ant Script' buttons (see attached
images of main toolbar customization and resulting toolbar).

I went back in to the Customizations window to correct this, but it
all looks fine in there. I even deleted my custom main toolbar so the
default was used, but the problem persists :(



0
Comment actions Permalink

You have email.

0
Comment actions Permalink

Aargh! The corruption has spread to Project tree context menu (see attached)!

Looks like a re-install from scratch is required...



Attachment(s):
Idea Context Menu.JPG
0
Comment actions Permalink

Hello Dave,

Could you please check next EAP?

Thank you
-


Anna Kozlova
JetBrains Inc.
http://www.intellij.com
"Develop with pleasure!"

You have email.



0
Comment actions Permalink

I will do Anna - just as soon as it is available.

Incidentally, 8940 seems to be falling apart here - I can no longer set breakpoints with the mouse, or display the editor tab context menu by right-clicking on it... seems like mouse functionality is progressively being lost.

I'm going to reinstall 8940 and see what happens.

0
Comment actions Permalink

Well I reinstalled 8940 from scratch with all the same imported settings and using the same plug-ins, and so foar the problems haven't recurred. Apart from the occasional really long pause/freeze (garbage collecting), everything is running smoothly - although it is a bit disconcerting to have it freeze for up to 30 secs while displaying a menu...

0
Comment actions Permalink

Hello Dave,

Thank you.

We believe that freeze occures only for the first popup otherwise we need
CPU snapshot


-


Anna Kozlova
JetBrains Inc.
http://www.intellij.com
"Develop with pleasure!"

Well I reinstalled 8940 from scratch with all the same imported
settings and using the same plug-ins, and so foar the problems haven't
recurred. Apart from the occasional really long pause/freeze (garbage
collecting), everything is running smoothly - although it is a bit
disconcerting to have it freeze for up to 30 secs while displaying a
menu...



0
Comment actions Permalink

Hi Anna,

These occasional freezes are not the initialization of the menu first-time, but apparently random - they happen at any time, not just when a menu is displayed. I only mentioned a menu because it had just happened - I went to select an option from the editor context menu and it froze halfway through navigating to the option I wanted. Sometimes it happens while I'm typing code, sometimes while setting a line breakpoint with the mouse, etc. I'm pretty sure it's either garbage collection or some other background process that grabs all the CPU. I tried to get a CPU snapshot of one freeze, but the snapshot app couldn't capture the information until the freeze had finished...

This problem isn't frequent enough to be a showstopper, but it is disconcerting when it happens. I've had similar delays with previous builds of IDEA. I'm now allocating over 1GB for memory in the VM Options, and the status bar memory usage indicator is showing far fewer occasions when memory use is near the limit.

If the problem is due to garbage collection, it would be preferable if it could be done more frequently so as to have more but shorter pauses. I've tried using different garbage collector options, but without improvement. I will try the Concurrent Low-Pause garbage collector when I get some spare time.

0

Please sign in to leave a comment.