I am not able to configure the Flex SDK within Flex Builder 3 (no spaces in the path) anymore on OS-X 10.5.4. With all previous builds when configuring the Flex SDK I had to completely wipe ~/Library/Caches/IntelliJIDEA80 and re-configure through the project settings for IDEA to recognize the SDK. With 8618 no luck.
All in all I have to say that I am disappointed with the progress on the Flex support in IntelliJ. I used to be a die hard IntelliJ user during my Java developer days - now that I do full-time Flex development I thought I could carry my expectations over and use IDEA for Flex the same way I used it for Java. It is probably my fault because IDEA does not seem to be meant as a real competitor to Flex Builder - the workflow and efficiency is just too clumsy. To make me switch from Flex Builder IDEA for Flex needs:
- reliable selection of the Flex SDK (also for experimenting with different SDK builds - which are open-source
- selection of library SWCs (similar to handling jars in Java - as mentionened in another thread)
- a better compiling approach; ANT is fine for creating the final production package but for the edit/compile/debug/run cycle it is too slow and the error messages are too cryptic in the console)
- code inspection through continuous compiling (when saving a file) - double-clicking on a compiler error message in the console should jump me to the problem in source code. I think Flex Builder and FDT from PowerFlasher both cache the SDK compiler, so the startup delay is not noticable.
- of course I do not expect/need design view
IDEA has a lot of potential (editor, refactoring, source navigation etc.) to be more efficient than Flex Builder but right now the above mentioned issues are just too annoying and slow me down too much in my day to day work.