IDEA 12.1.4 and Grails 2.3 - fails to start grails command

I'm trying to user grails 2.3.0.M2 - first time using 2.3 - because I want to look at some of the new features that seem quite useful. However I get the error with GrailsStarter not found whenever any Grails command is run (well - I've only tried a few so far).

I have found this: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/16919676/grails-2-3-0-m1-fails-to-stat-in-intellij-idea-130-754 which appears to be exactly the same as I experience, although that is for the M1 release. In the response there it say to "remove all "grails-*-2.3.0.M1-sources.jar" and "grails-*-2.3.0.M1-javadocs.jar" from $GRAILS_HOME/dist" which I haven't tried yet - but will.

My real question is when will this be rectified ? I see the comment mentions it is to be fixed in EAP but can you confirm when. Currently I'm on build
129.713. I see that there is an EAP build 961 but nothing in the relase notes relating to this problem.



graham

5 comments

Thanks.    I have no problems using EAPs but I do notice the comment about "quality of EAP versions may at times be way below even usual beta" and I do have quite a lot of work that I want to move to Grails 2.3 very soon. I'll get the latest 13 EAP later today and see how it goes.  Does that mean that there will be no fix for IDEA 12 ?  I should mention that the workaround does work in my quick tests. Although IDEA doesn't like the Grails SDK configuration - showing an error - the files compile and the application runs correctly/  Graham

0

I'm getting this error on IDEA 13 EAP (IU-130.1486) and Grails 2.3.0.RC1. I removed the sources and doc directories as suggested but the error remains:

/usr/java/jdk1.7.0_25/bin/java -Dgrails.home=/opt/grails/grails-2.3.0.RC1 -Dbase.dir=/home/brad/<removed>/ps-common -Dtools.jar=/usr/java/jdk1.7.0_25/lib/tools.jar -Dgroovy.starter.conf=/opt/grails/grails-2.3.0.RC1/conf/groovy-starter.conf -Xmx768M -Xms768M -XX:MaxPermSize=256m -XX:PermSize=256m -javaagent:/opt/idea/idea-IU-130.1486/plugins/Grails/lib/grails-rt.jar -Dprint.grails.settings=true -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -classpath /opt/grails/grails-2.3.0.RC1/lib/org.codehaus.groovy/groovy-all/jars/groovy-all-2.1.6.jar:/opt/grails/grails-2.3.0.RC1/dist/grails-bootstrap-2.3.0.RC1.jar org.codehaus.groovy.grails.cli.support.GrailsStarter --main org.codehaus.groovy.grails.cli.GrailsScriptRunner --conf /opt/grails/grails-2.3.0.RC1/conf/groovy-starter.conf help| Loading Grails 2.3.0.RC1
| Configuring classpath
:: problems summary ::
:::: WARNINGS
 module not found: org.grails.plugins#tomcat;2.3.0.RC1
 ==== grailsPlugins: tried
   -- artifact org.grails.plugins#tomcat;2.3.0.RC1!tomcat.zip:
   /home/brad/<removed>/ps-common/lib/tomcat-2.3.0.RC1.zip
 ==== grailsHome: tried
   /opt/grails/grails-2.3.0.RC1/lib/org.grails.plugins/tomcat/ivy-2.3.0.RC1.xml
   -- artifact org.grails.plugins#tomcat;2.3.0.RC1!tomcat.zip:
   /opt/grails/grails-2.3.0.RC1/lib/org.grails.plugins/tomcat/jars/tomcat-2.3.0.RC1.zip
   /opt/grails/grails-2.3.0.RC1/lib/org.grails.plugins/tomcat/bundles/tomcat-2.3.0.RC1.zip
 ==== grailsHome: tried
   /opt/grails/grails-2.3.0.RC1/dist/tomcat-2.3.0.RC1.pom
   -- artifact org.grails.plugins#tomcat;2.3.0.RC1!tomcat.zip:
   /opt/grails/grails-2.3.0.RC1/dist/tomcat-2.3.0.RC1.zip
 ==== grailsHome: tried
   /home/brad/.grails/2.3.0.RC1/cached-installed-plugins/tomcat-2.3.0.RC1.xml
   -- artifact org.grails.plugins#tomcat;2.3.0.RC1!tomcat.zip:
   /home/brad/.grails/2.3.0.RC1/cached-installed-plugins/tomcat-2.3.0.RC1.zip
 ==== grailsHome: tried
   /opt/grails/grails-2.3.0.RC1/plugins/tomcat-2.3.0.RC1.pom
   -- artifact org.grails.plugins#tomcat;2.3.0.RC1!tomcat.zip:
   /opt/grails/grails-2.3.0.RC1/plugins/tomcat-2.3.0.RC1.zip
 ==== grailsCentral: tried
   http://grails.org/plugins/grails-tomcat/tags/RELEASE_2.3.0.RC1/tomcat-2.3.0.RC1.pom
   -- artifact org.grails.plugins#tomcat;2.3.0.RC1!tomcat.zip:
   http://grails.org/plugins/grails-tomcat/tags/RELEASE_2.3.0.RC1/grails-tomcat-2.3.0.RC1.zip
 ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
 ::          UNRESOLVED DEPENDENCIES         ::
 ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
 :: org.grails.plugins#tomcat;2.3.0.RC1: not found
 ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::


| Error Resolve error obtaining dependencies: Failed to resolve dependencies (Set log level to 'warn' in BuildConfig.groovy for more information):


- org.grails.plugins:tomcat:2.3.0.RC1


(Use --stacktrace to see the full trace)
| Error Failed to resolve dependencies (Set log level to 'warn' in BuildConfig.groovy for more information):


- org.grails.plugins:tomcat:2.3.0.RC1


| Run 'grails dependency-report' for further information.


IDEA hook: Grails not found!
| Error java.lang.NullPointerException
| Error  at org.jetbrains.groovy.grails.rt.Agent$2.run(Agent.java:135)
| Error  at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:724)

0

I see now that the problem is coming from plugins that specify a dependency as

    plugins {
        build(":tomcat:$grailsVersion",
             ...
    }

0

Just to update anyone who is interested...and curiously, I think I may say...I find that with the just released Grails 2.3.0 and the same IDEA that I was using, v12 build 713, IDEA works without resorting to deleting the source and javadoc files in Grails.

graham

0

Please sign in to leave a comment.