# 7364 - Changes rejects commit - why?

If I make a change to a file in one changelist (e.g. default), then change it in another changelist, the Changes Panel rejects it when I try to commit from there, complaining about a changelist clash. Sometimes it asks whether I want to put it into another changelist, but even if I say 'yes', it still refuses any attempt to commit. It also leaves auto-generated 'error' changelists cluttering up the panel after I have moved files out of them.

When this happens, I've had to commit these files from the editor instead of the Changes Panel.

By all means warn me when a file is changed in more than one changelist and then a commit is attempted, but why stop every attempt to commit the file from the Changes Panel?

6 comments

Hello Dave,

If I make a change to a file in one changelist (e.g. default), then
change it in another changelist, the Changes Panel rejects it when I
try to commit from there, complaining about a changelist clash.
Sometimes it asks whether I want to put it into another changelist,
but even if I say 'yes', it still refuses any attempt to commit. It
also leaves auto-generated 'error' changelists cluttering up the panel
after I have moved files out of them.

When this happens, I've had to commit these files from the editor
instead of the Changes Panel.

By all means warn me when a file is changed in more than one
changelist and then a commit is attempted, but why stop every attempt
to commit the file from the Changes Panel?


This behavior is provided by the Changes Bar plugin, so please direct these
comments to the plugin developer.

--
Dmitry Jemerov
Development Lead
JetBrains, Inc.
http://www.jetbrains.com/
"Develop with Pleasure!"


0

Guys,

I'm quite confused by this behaviour... I don't purposely interfere with
the commit process at all in my plugin, it is purely meant to be a
notification tool, but clearly something is going wrong.

I shall have a look at your issue, but can you give me some info to help
me fix it? Namely:
Which vcs do you use?
When you say the commit is refused, exactly what happens?

The 'conflict' changelists aren't really designed to be committed
directly from - it is intended that you resolve the conflict by moving
the change into a user changelist before committing, but i don't see any
reason why you shouldn't be able to commit directly from them. Dave, if
you first switch the active changelist to the one you're going to
commit, does this help matters?

Cheers,
N.

Dmitry Jemerov wrote:

Hello Dave,

>> If I make a change to a file in one changelist (e.g. default), then
>> change it in another changelist, the Changes Panel rejects it when I
>> try to commit from there, complaining about a changelist clash.
>> Sometimes it asks whether I want to put it into another changelist,
>> but even if I say 'yes', it still refuses any attempt to commit. It
>> also leaves auto-generated 'error' changelists cluttering up the panel
>> after I have moved files out of them.
>>
>> When this happens, I've had to commit these files from the editor
>> instead of the Changes Panel.
>>
>> By all means warn me when a file is changed in more than one
>> changelist and then a commit is attempted, but why stop every attempt
>> to commit the file from the Changes Panel?


This behavior is provided by the Changes Bar plugin, so please direct
these comments to the plugin developer.

0

The VCS is CVS.
It's been a while since it happened, and I couldn't make it happen just now (I got a brief flash of a 'Changelist Clash' warning, but it went away by itself). All I can remember is that I got a 'Changelist Clash' warning, and it wouldn't let me commit the files.

I wasn't trying to commit them from a conflict changelist - I tried to commit them from the normal changelist, but presumably because the files had also been changed in a different changelist, it gave me the conflict warning and put them into a conflict changelist instead of committing them. It wouldn't commit them from there either, and when I moved them back into the original changelist and tried to commit them, I got the conflict warning again and they ended up on a conflict changelist again. I tried committing them from both the changelists they'd been edited in, but got the same result each time.

Unfortunately, I couldn't stop to write down all the details because of time pressures (an imminent build), but I was able to commit them from outside the Changes panel. Perhaps it was just a glitch, but it was worrying at the time.

0

OK Dave, thanks for the info.

Dmitry, is there any way to detect whether a VCS operation such as
commit or update is in progress via the OpenAPI?

Cheers,
N.

Dave Lorde wrote:

The VCS is CVS.
It's been a while since it happened, and I couldn't make it happen just now (I got a brief flash of a 'Changelist Clash' warning, but it went away by itself). All I can remember is that I got a 'Changelist Clash' warning, and it wouldn't let me commit the files.

I wasn't trying to commit them from a conflict changelist - I tried to commit them from the normal changelist, but presumably because the files had also been changed in a different changelist, it gave me the conflict warning and put them into a conflict changelist instead of committing them. It wouldn't commit them from there either, and when I moved them back into the original changelist and tried to commit them, I got the conflict warning again and they ended up on a conflict changelist again. I tried committing them from both the changelists they'd been edited in, but got the same result each time.

Unfortunately, I couldn't stop to write down all the details because of time pressures (an imminent build), but I was able to commit them from outside the Changes panel. Perhaps it was just a glitch, but it was worrying at the time.

0

Please sign in to leave a comment.