Breakpoints never hit

I've been searching the forums and I found a lot of postings on this issue, but none of them solved our problem. I'm trying out IntelliJ 11, build# IU-111.167, hoping the newest release would fix our problem - but unfortunately, it didn't. We've had this issue since version 9.
Our problem is that for some classes, IntelliJ won't recognize that the class i being debugged. I.e. when we set a breakpoint and the debugger is active, IntelliJ won't mark the breakpoint with a "v", to indicate that the breakpoint is active. When that happens, the breakpoint will never be hit. Which classes IntelliJ is unable to debug, varies from time to time. Suddenly, a class that a person was not able to debug, is debuggable again (and the breakpoint is marked with a "v").
This problem both occurs on classes that are debugged from IntelliJ (the client) and on classes remotely debugged on JBoss. We deploy on JBoss using Ant. We've tried clearing the IntelliJ caches and the temporary files on JBoss, but without success. The project consists of several modules and we use "Module dependency" to reference modules. The classes in IntelliJ are in sync with the classes on  the server.
We are five persons on the project, and we have all experienced the same problem - with different classes though.

Has anyone experienced the same kind of problems, and is it anything we can do to prevent them?

3 comments
Comment actions Permalink

Hi Tor,

The fact that breakpoint is not even validated (the checkmark on an icon) means that the class with such qualified name is not loaded in JVM. Or, more precisely, the JVM reports that there are no classes with this name loaded. One of the possible reasons: the sources you see in the IDE does not correspond to the classes actually run on the server.
More details about your environment (active IDEA plugins, whether you use technologies based on bytecode instrumentation, the actual class name where the breakpoint is set, the server's JVM version and manufacturer, etc.) might help to find out the reason.

0
Comment actions Permalink

Thanks for fast reply. Please find attached the list of plugins. Both IntelliJ and JBoss use Java 1.6.0_30 (Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.5-b03, mixed mode)). We do not use bytecode instrumentation. We also use JBoss 5.1.0GA. The source in IntelliJ is in sync with the classes on the server. I currently have problems with debugging one EJB3 bean in one IntelliJ-module and an EJB2.1 bean in another IntelliJ-module/package. In the same modules and in the same packages as those two beans, I have other beans that can be debugged perfectly well
InteliJ-plugins.png

0
Comment actions Permalink

Hi Tor,

Thank you for the information. Just to exclude any influence of any debugger extension, could you please connect to the running server using ordinary "Remote" debug connection with the only breakpoint at the problematic line?
If breakpoint is still not hit, but you are sure the code is really executed, please add the following property to IDEA's VM parameters:
-Didea.debugger.trace="SENDS RECEIVES".

Restart IDEA using batch/sh script so that console is opened.
With the option added, the debugger will trace its outgoing requests and incoming responses and the log will be printed to the console.  After connection to the server via the "Remote" configuration please ensure that the code is executed and then try to add the breakpoint and force the application to execute this code fragment again. Debugger will log all its communication with the debuggee VM.
Please send the trace to me for examination.

0

Please sign in to leave a comment.