OSX & JDK 5

Now that OSX Tiger is out there, and has a new patch out, would it be so
terrible if JetBrains switched IDEA to run with JDK 5 out the gate? Has
anyone not switched, and if you didn't switch and IDEA ran on JDK 5 only
would that push you to switch?

Curious

R

13 comments
Comment actions Permalink

The JVMVersion plist key is set to 1.4+, so it should be running with
5.0 if you have it installed. I didn't have to do anything special to
get it running on 5.0, I don't think.

Robert S. Sfeir wrote:

Now that OSX Tiger is out there, and has a new patch out, would it be so
terrible if JetBrains switched IDEA to run with JDK 5 out the gate? Has
anyone not switched, and if you didn't switch and IDEA ran on JDK 5 only
would that push you to switch?

Curious

R


0
Comment actions Permalink

The question is more toward whether anyone will be running Irida under 1.4. It's occasioned by my using 1.5 library classes in the most recent IPP and IG drops, not realizing that I shouldn't.

--Dave Griffith

0
Comment actions Permalink

Our tech support crew in their (allegedly) infinite wisdom has decided to postpone any consideration of upgrading to 10.4 and thus we will be unable to use JDK 5 for quite a while, if ever.

Donald

0
Comment actions Permalink

In article <d7i4tp$dp6$1@is.intellij.net>,
Keith Lea <keith@cs.oswego.edu> wrote:

The JVMVersion plist key is set to 1.4+, so it should be running with
5.0 if you have it installed. I didn't have to do anything special to
get it running on 5.0, I don't think.


no you need to set it to 1.5+

0
Comment actions Permalink

In article <27321846.1117561048971.JavaMail.javamailuser@localhost>,
Dave Griffith <dave.griffith@cnn.com> wrote:

The question is more toward whether anyone will be running Irida under 1.4.
It's occasioned by my using 1.5 library classes in the most recent IPP and IG
drops, not realizing that I shouldn't.


Well don't put the blame on your shoulders, I think JetBrains would
benefit as well from using JDK 5 features to write their code.


R

0
Comment actions Permalink

In article <22422201.1117561826040.JavaMail.javamailuser@localhost>,
Donald McLean <dmclean@stsci.edu> wrote:

Our tech support crew in their (allegedly) infinite wisdom has decided to
postpone any consideration of upgrading to 10.4 and thus we will be unable to
use JDK 5 for quite a while, if ever.

Donald


Interesting, did they give you a reason why?

R

0
Comment actions Permalink

Sadly, there are many companies like that. Their reasons vary, but IMO none of the reasons are valid, unfortunatly that doesn't seem to matter.

Also, To answer the original poster, I have not switched to tiget yet because the original release broke Cisco's VPN client. I do all my work from home using that client so switching would kill my ability to make a living. I plan on switching as soon as I can, but not at any cost. 8^)

0
Comment actions Permalink

BTW 5.0 for amd64 is fairly unstable yet. I'm hitting a JVM crash about every 2 days, sometimes in JIT, sometimes in java2d when using IDEA.

0
Comment actions Permalink

In article <8003979.1117566091766.JavaMail.javamailuser@localhost>,
Ralph Saunders <no_mail@jetbrains.com> wrote:

Sadly, there are many companies like that. Their reasons vary, but IMO none
of the reasons are valid, unfortunatly that doesn't seem to matter.

Also, To answer the original poster, I have not switched to tiget yet because
the original release broke Cisco's VPN client. I do all my work from home
using that client so switching would kill my ability to make a living. I
plan on switching as soon as I can, but not at any cost. 8^)


The VPN client issue is fixed and CISCO has a new build. I use it.

R

0
Comment actions Permalink

In article
<22422201.1117561826040.JavaMail.javamailuser@localhos
>,
Donald McLean <dmclean@stsci.edu> wrote:

Our tech support crew in their (allegedly) infinite

wisdom has decided to

postpone any consideration of upgrading to 10.4 and

thus we will be unable to

use JDK 5 for quite a while, if ever.


Interesting, did they give you a reason why?


Yes. You don't want to know. The explanation is just too ridiculous to be believed. ]]>

Donald

0
Comment actions Permalink

Robert S. Sfeir <robert@NOSPAMCodepuccino.dom> wrote:

Now that OSX Tiger is out there, and has a new patch out, would it be so
terrible if JetBrains switched IDEA to run with JDK 5 out the gate? Has
anyone not switched, and if you didn't switch and IDEA ran on JDK 5 only
would that push you to switch?


By the way -- does anyone know whether IDEA 4.5.4 is able to run/debug
Java 1.5 programs on OS X? I don't feel EAP is stable enough to shift
development to it yet.

Best,

Dirk Dittert

0
Comment actions Permalink

What build number is the VPN client? I have 4.6.00 (0045) and I am having a hard time trying to find out if this is the most recent one.

0
Comment actions Permalink

In article <32018318.1117739544218.JavaMail.javamailuser@localhost>,
Ralph Saunders <no_mail@jetbrains.com> wrote:

What build number is the VPN client? I have 4.6.00 (0045) and I am having a
hard time trying to find out if this is the most recent one.


Mine says 4.6.03(0160)

R

0

Please sign in to leave a comment.