-- Please consider this enhancement, I think it's easily feasable for the next EAP, with minimal development cost and tremendous impact on the overall quality of IDEA --
I love IDEA, partly because the Error Highlighting + Inspections is a great must-have I-can't-live-without productivity feature.
Unfortunately, my machine can't cope with classes > 2000 lines, so I set the Autoreparse delay to some huge value (99999999) in order to avoid the Source Code Parsing happening at all.
This setting is at the IDE settings level, and therefore I am not bothered to get back to the settings panel each time I edit a more reasonably-sized class => which means this wonderful feature is switched off for most of the time...
So, here are my suggestions:
At the top-right corner of the Source Code Editor, on the right hand side of the scroll bar, there is a popup menu that allows me to choose the navigation mode of my errors / warnings. (it's in the square area that shows a specific color to indicate error/warning status)
why not add the function "Do Error Checking + Inspections NOW instead of waiting for the Timer activation" ?
Why not improve this by having a turn ON/OFF automatic (timed) error parsing.
- add double-click trigger on the square area that has the popup menu, for "Analyse NOW"
- add an entry in the popup menu and somewhere in the main menu bar
- add a keyboard shortcut for fast access to these indispensable functions
I can clearly see this function in my workflow:
- when I edit a big class, I can have parsing on request, and because I expect the analysis lag, and I am not irritated anymore.
- when I edit a small class, I can switch the automatic parsing back ON, and I'm the happiest man in the world !!
I know that the parsing lag is a main show-stopper for many of us, so please consider these ideas and comment ! ;)