subversion support - status works - show history doesnt

Latest EAP - the "check status" seems to run fine, but a "show history"
fails with invalid credentials.

This is using svn+ssh....

Anyone seeing that?

6 comments

Mark Derricutt wrote:

Latest EAP - the "check status" seems to run fine, but a "show history"
fails with invalid credentials.


Checking in a change gives "no protocol implementation for svn+ssh" in
the messages pane :(

This is more than the previous EAP release did mind...

0

This is using svn+ssh....


Just curious, is svn+ssh THE solution for secure communication? Wouldn't it
be better to use https with client authentication? With SSH, I guess, you
could log-in to the SVN-server, which sometimes is unwanted. Even worse, you
would need to create system user accounts for all peoples, who want to login.

Please correct me, if I'm wrong.

Tom

0

Thomas Singer (MoTJ) wrote:

Just curious, is svn+ssh THE solution for secure communication? Wouldn't
it be better to use https with client authentication? With SSH, I guess,


Not -the- solution, an easy-to-setup solution is all. I havn't bothered
to check out how to setup Apache2, WebDAV, HTTPS client auth, or all
manner of other interrelated configurations. Its just easier to use
svn+ssh.

you could log-in to the SVN-server, which sometimes is unwanted. Even


You could not give them a shell.

worse, you would need to create system user accounts for all peoples,
who want to login.


Depending on your setup, this doesn't really pose a problem. For me -
or even for our office of 4 developers this wouldn't really pose a problem.

For something the size of Sourceforge, this sure as hell would be thou.

0

Thomas,

(you're wrong... well not totally :) )

here is the deal with this, as I just finished setting it up.

Not everyone can do http or https even, in my case my ISP didn't want to install the mod_xxx under Apache so I can't get that.

The svn+ssh solution is ONLY for people who have shell accounts, yes, it however does not require svnserve to be running, it tunnels directly to your repository, it's pretty slick.

You can also use plain svn:// protocol and give people anonymous and read/write access via a passwd file stored in the location of your choice on the server. I am not entirely sure this methodology is secure, it however runs on a port of your choice, and does not start as root.

I've got svn+ssh and svn protocol with svnserve running myself and I like the combinations.

HTH.

R

0

In article <cp8gc8$6dk$1@is.intellij.net>,
Mark Derricutt <mark@talios.com> wrote:

Latest EAP - the "check status" seems to run fine, but a "show history"
fails with invalid credentials.

This is using svn+ssh....

Anyone seeing that?


svn+ssh support for subversion in idea is sub-par. This is not because
of javasvn, it's because they haven't had time to implement it.

R

0

In article <cp8gkh$6m0$1@is.intellij.net>,
Mark Derricutt <mark@talios.com> wrote:

Mark Derricutt wrote:

Latest EAP - the "check status" seems to run fine, but a "show history"
fails with invalid credentials.


Checking in a change gives "no protocol implementation for svn+ssh" in
the messages pane :(

This is more than the previous EAP release did mind...


that's been there for a while. Again not javasvn, implementation issue
in idea.

R

0

Please sign in to leave a comment.