I've noticed a lot of problems with Move Method ever since it came out. I
don't know if these are known problems, and Move Method is a Work In Progress,
or if I should file issue reports for these.
1. Dialog asks for original class instance variable even when no fields or
instance methods are used
(for example, when the method calls itself)
2. Dialog does not allow me to choose to move the method to a completely
unrelated class, and make it a static method.
3. Dialog UI is very confusing to me, longtime IDEA user
- "Select an instance variable:" - I understand this now, but my first reaction
was "why? what will it be used for?" I suggest something more like "This
method can be moved to any class which is used as a variable in the method.
This instance variable will become 'this' in the moved method. Choose a variable
to become 'this':"
- "Select a name for MethodAnalyzer.this parameter" - I think it should be
replaced with "This method references [instance methods and/or fields and/or
nonstatic inner classes] from the current class, so the moved method must
contain a parameter of this type. Choose a name for this parameter."
4. Multiple methods cannot be moved at once, as with moving static method
5. Moving a method where no parameter is created for the original class generates
broken code for callers of the moved method; they all pass a "this" but there
is no corresponding parameter for it
Are these all planned to be addressed or should I file issues for them?