Idea wrecks my resource files!

When Idea copies my *.properties (and other text files) after compilation it changes the encoding from UTF-8 to the system default (more exactly the the default encoding specified in the IDE settings).

PLEASE KEEP YOUR HANDS OF MY RESOURCE FILES.
I need them in exactly the same way they are. Nowhere in the documentation it says that Idea processes my resource files ("Each file ... will be copied to the output directory.")

In general 4.5 has a lot of features I appreciate, but I had much more pleasure developing with 3.0: Performance often is inacceptable. Features introduced in 4.0 still are not working well (refactoring with modules, column mode selection, etc., etc.). I find myself spending time and time again on working at Idea's settings and limitations instead of working on my code. ]]>

So, please do a couple of 4.5.x builds before devoting all work to super duper new features in 5.0.

http://intellij.net/tracker/idea/viewSCR?publicId=37168

2 comments
Comment actions Permalink

PLEASE KEEP YOUR HANDS OF MY RESOURCE FILES.
I need them in exactly the same way they are. Nowhere in the documentation it says that Idea processes my resource files

("Each file ... will be copied to the output directory.")

When copying, IDEA does not do any processing, copying is performed byte-by-byte. I haven't been able to reproduce the bug. I even
double-checked the code that does copying - it simply cannot change encoding, because it reads bytes and writes exectly those bytes
that were read.
Could you attach to the SCR the project that illustrates the problem?


--
Best regards,
Eugene Zhuravlev
Software Developer
JetBrains Inc.
http://www.jetbrains.com
"Develop with pleasure!"


0
Comment actions Permalink

Shame on me: Please accept my sincere apologies for bothering you with this.
I tried to reproduce the issue with a sample project - and everything worked fine. When I switched back to my production project I also was not able to reproduce it.
When the 'bug' first occured I changed Idea's default encoding and rebuilt the project and it worked fine - guess I should have double-checked by setting the encoding back to System Default before posting.
Seems I really made a fool of me :(

But then again there are indeed lots of real bugs I filed before...

0

Please sign in to leave a comment.