Not sure this is off topic, but it's somewhat related.
At work we have a big Wiki page describing in painful (and typically outdated) detail all the necessary steps to set up the dev environment. This includes steps like:
* Download and install IntelliJ
* Download this list of plugins
* Configure the plugins with these paths/settings/...
* Set this set of environment variables
* Add these directories to your path
* Download the source control client
Every time somebody does it the result is ever so slightly different, and people are losing a lot of time just working around this environmental issues. Are there any good ways to script some of this work? It's not practical to write a shell script, as people to tend to want the latest of everything, which breaks things.
Any clever ideas? Anybody checking their entire environment into source control?