Quick lists.

It seems like one usability feature implemented in Pallada missed from EAP announcments lists. That is "Quick Lists"
feature that allows to group arbitrary actions into the group and assign a single shortcut there. Upon shortcut is
invoked popup window (like that in Generate) appears with all the actions in the list. Quick Lists can be configured via
Settings/Keymap/Quick Lists.

Feel free to comment on this.

--
Maxim Shafirov
IntelliJ Labs / JetBrains Inc.
http://www.intellij.com
"Develop with pleasure!"

30 comments
Comment actions Permalink

On 28-04-2004 13:49, Maxim Shafirov (JetBrains) wrote:

It seems like one usability feature implemented in Pallada missed
from EAP announcments lists. That is "Quick Lists" feature that

> allows to group arbitrary actions into the group and assign a
> single shortcut there. Upon shortcut is invoked popup window
> (like that in Generate) appears with all the actions in the list.
> Quick Lists can be configured via Settings/Keymap/Quick Lists.


Feel free to comment on this.


Looks useful, but I don't know yet what to use it for:-) If anybody has
any good suggestions what to put in a quick list, please post.

I have some issues with the UI though:
1. quick list edit dialog has no title (I suggest "Edit quick list"
2a. the dialog doesn't remember its size.
2b. the (left) actions list is not wide enough. It could be a bit wider
than the right list to accommodate for the tree icons.
2c the right list could be less wide if there was less empty space to
the left of the text.
3. a double click on an action in the left list should put it in the
right list. A double click on an action in the right list should remove
it from the list.
4. there are no keyboard short cuts to add and remove actions (insert
and delete maybe). The rest of the buttons also don't have mnemonics.
5. Clicking on the New button and immediately canceling creates an empty
Quick List with the name "unnamed"
6. The scroll bars of the action list can have keyboard focus.
7. In most places in IDEA "Add" is used as a button instead of "New",
why not here?

These are all minor issues but together they hopefully are useful feedback.

Bas

0
Comment actions Permalink

I have some issues with the UI though:
1. quick list edit dialog has no title (I suggest "Edit quick list"
2a. the dialog doesn't remember its size.
2b. the (left) actions list is not wide enough. It could be a bit wider
than the right list to accommodate for the tree icons.
2c the right list could be less wide if there was less empty space to
the left of the text.
3. a double click on an action in the left list should put it in the
right list. A double click on an action in the right list should remove
it from the list.
4. there are no keyboard short cuts to add and remove actions (insert
and delete maybe). The rest of the buttons also don't have mnemonics.
5. Clicking on the New button and immediately canceling creates an empty
Quick List with the name "unnamed"
6. The scroll bars of the action list can have keyboard focus.
7. In most places in IDEA "Add" is used as a button instead of "New",
why not here?


Ha ha, could have been written from me :)

Tom

0
Comment actions Permalink

Bas Leijdekkers wrote:

On 28-04-2004 13:49, Maxim Shafirov (JetBrains) wrote:

>> It seems like one usability feature implemented in Pallada missed
>> from EAP announcments lists. That is "Quick Lists" feature that


> allows to group arbitrary actions into the group and assign a
> single shortcut there. Upon shortcut is invoked popup window
> (like that in Generate) appears with all the actions in the list.
> Quick Lists can be configured via Settings/Keymap/Quick Lists.

>>
>> Feel free to comment on this.


Looks useful, but I don't know yet what to use it for:-) If anybody has
any good suggestions what to put in a quick list, please post.

I have some issues with the UI though:
1. quick list edit dialog has no title (I suggest "Edit quick list"
2a. the dialog doesn't remember its size.
2b. the (left) actions list is not wide enough. It could be a bit wider
than the right list to accommodate for the tree icons.
2c the right list could be less wide if there was less empty space to
the left of the text.
3. a double click on an action in the left list should put it in the
right list. A double click on an action in the right list should remove
it from the list.
4. there are no keyboard short cuts to add and remove actions (insert
and delete maybe). The rest of the buttons also don't have mnemonics.
5. Clicking on the New button and immediately canceling creates an empty
Quick List with the name "unnamed"
6. The scroll bars of the action list can have keyboard focus.
7. In most places in IDEA "Add" is used as a button instead of "New",
why not here?

These are all minor issues but together they hopefully are useful feedback.

Bas

Thanks for the info Bas. To be fixed soon. As to useful application I personally have CVS quick list configured with
most used CVS actions (namely Commit, Check Out, Update, Compare with latest repository version, Show History and
Annotate) mapped to CtrlShiftC and Dmitry Peshehonov uses Quick Lists for toolwindow navigation by grouping some
actions from Window menu.

--
Maxim Shafirov
IntelliJ Labs / JetBrains Inc.
http://www.intellij.com
"Develop with pleasure!"

0
Comment actions Permalink

OK, a "Quick List" is a context menu that can be launched via a keymap.
Now I understand.
That sounds very useful!

I was trying to figure out how it was different than macros. Obviously,
very different.

"Maxim Shafirov (JetBrains)" <max@intellij.com> wrote in message
news:c6obcq$ard$1@is.intellij.net...

Bas Leijdekkers wrote:

>

On 28-04-2004 13:49, Maxim Shafirov (JetBrains) wrote:

>
>> It seems like one usability feature implemented in Pallada missed
>> from EAP announcments lists. That is "Quick Lists" feature that
>

> allows to group arbitrary actions into the group and assign a
> single shortcut there. Upon shortcut is invoked popup window
> (like that in Generate) appears with all the actions in the list.
> Quick Lists can be configured via Settings/Keymap/Quick Lists.

>
>>
>> Feel free to comment on this.
>
>

Looks useful, but I don't know yet what to use it for:-) If anybody has
any good suggestions what to put in a quick list, please post.

>

I have some issues with the UI though:
1. quick list edit dialog has no title (I suggest "Edit quick list"
2a. the dialog doesn't remember its size.
2b. the (left) actions list is not wide enough. It could be a bit wider
than the right list to accommodate for the tree icons.
2c the right list could be less wide if there was less empty space to
the left of the text.
3. a double click on an action in the left list should put it in the
right list. A double click on an action in the right list should remove
it from the list.
4. there are no keyboard short cuts to add and remove actions (insert
and delete maybe). The rest of the buttons also don't have mnemonics.
5. Clicking on the New button and immediately canceling creates an empty
Quick List with the name "unnamed"
6. The scroll bars of the action list can have keyboard focus.
7. In most places in IDEA "Add" is used as a button instead of "New",
why not here?

>

These are all minor issues but together they hopefully are useful

feedback.

>

Bas

Thanks for the info Bas. To be fixed soon. As to useful application I

personally have CVS quick list configured with

most used CVS actions (namely Commit, Check Out, Update, Compare with

latest repository version, Show History and

Annotate) mapped to CtrlShiftC and Dmitry Peshehonov uses Quick Lists

for toolwindow navigation by grouping some

actions from Window menu.

>

--
Maxim Shafirov
IntelliJ Labs / JetBrains Inc.
http://www.intellij.com
"Develop with pleasure!"



0
Comment actions Permalink

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 14:56:24 +0200, Bas Leijdekkers
<leijdekkers@no.spam.please.carp-technologies.nl> wrote:

On 28-04-2004 13:49, Maxim Shafirov (JetBrains) wrote:

>> It seems like one usability feature implemented in Pallada missed
>> from EAP announcments lists. That is "Quick Lists" feature that
>

Looks useful, but I don't know yet what to use it for:-) If anybody has
any good suggestions what to put in a quick list, please post.

>
Hi,

at present I have 2 quick lists, "Best-Of-Refactoring" (mapped to
Ctrl-Alt-1)
and "Best-Of-Editor" (mapped to Ctrl-Alt-2).

General guideline for me: I put actions in quick lists that

- are not used often enough to memorize the shortcut
- are used often enough that when I need them, I need them in a hurry (no
wading through menus ;)

just my 0.02 USD,

Gerd

0
Comment actions Permalink

In article <c6obq0$d08$1@is.intellij.net>,
"Tim Haley" <ymaraner@yahoo.com> wrote:

OK, a "Quick List" is a context menu that can be launched via a keymap.
Now I understand.
That sounds very useful!


I too had no idea what it was. What about renaming it to "Custom menu"
or "Custom context menu"?

0
Comment actions Permalink

On 28-04-2004 15:35, Gerd Klima wrote:

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 14:56:24 +0200, Bas Leijdekkers
<leijdekkers@no.spam.please.carp-technologies.nl> wrote:

>> On 28-04-2004 13:49, Maxim Shafirov (JetBrains) wrote:
>>> It seems like one usability feature implemented in Pallada missed
>>> from EAP announcments lists. That is "Quick Lists" feature that
>>
>> Looks useful, but I don't know yet what to use it for:-) If anybody has
>> any good suggestions what to put in a quick list, please post.

at present I have 2 quick lists, "Best-Of-Refactoring" (mapped to
Ctrl-Alt-1)
and "Best-Of-Editor" (mapped to Ctrl-Alt-2).

General guideline for me: I put actions in quick lists that

- are not used often enough to memorize the shortcut
- are used often enough that when I need them, I need them in a hurry (no
wading through menus ;)


Thanks Gerd, good suggestions! I think I will also create a "best of
refactoring".

Bas

0
Comment actions Permalink

How do I map it? I created a list with some CVS commands, but never get
the option for add keyboard shortcut.


Norris Shelton
Sun Certified Java Programmer




Maxim Shafirov (JetBrains) wrote:

Bas Leijdekkers wrote:

>
>> On 28-04-2004 13:49, Maxim Shafirov (JetBrains) wrote:
>>
>>> It seems like one usability feature implemented in Pallada missed
>>> from EAP announcments lists. That is "Quick Lists" feature that
>>
>>
>> > allows to group arbitrary actions into the group and assign a
>> > single shortcut there. Upon shortcut is invoked popup window
>> > (like that in Generate) appears with all the actions in the list.
>> > Quick Lists can be configured via Settings/Keymap/Quick Lists.
>>
>>>
>>> Feel free to comment on this.
>>
>>
>>
>> Looks useful, but I don't know yet what to use it for:-) If anybody
>> has any good suggestions what to put in a quick list, please post.
>>
>> I have some issues with the UI though:
>> 1. quick list edit dialog has no title (I suggest "Edit quick list"
>> 2a. the dialog doesn't remember its size.
>> 2b. the (left) actions list is not wide enough. It could be a bit
>> wider than the right list to accommodate for the tree icons.
>> 2c the right list could be less wide if there was less empty space to
>> the left of the text.
>> 3. a double click on an action in the left list should put it in the
>> right list. A double click on an action in the right list should
>> remove it from the list.
>> 4. there are no keyboard short cuts to add and remove actions (insert
>> and delete maybe). The rest of the buttons also don't have mnemonics.
>> 5. Clicking on the New button and immediately canceling creates an
>> empty Quick List with the name "unnamed"
>> 6. The scroll bars of the action list can have keyboard focus.
>> 7. In most places in IDEA "Add" is used as a button instead of "New",
>> why not here?
>>
>> These are all minor issues but together they hopefully are useful
>> feedback.
>>
>> Bas
>

Thanks for the info Bas. To be fixed soon. As to useful application I
personally have CVS quick list configured with most used CVS actions
(namely Commit, Check Out, Update, Compare with latest repository
version, Show History and Annotate) mapped to CtrlShiftC and Dmitry
Peshehonov uses Quick Lists for toolwindow navigation by grouping some
actions from Window menu.

>



Attachment(s):
moz-screenshot.jpg
0
Comment actions Permalink

Good idea.

I cannot however seem to assign any mouse actions to the quicklist. For
example I would like some CVS actions triggered by ctrl-alt-button3, but
the assignment is ignored and the regular button3 menu is always displayed.

0
Comment actions Permalink

On 28-04-2004 15:22, Maxim Shafirov (JetBrains) wrote:
>> > Quick Lists can be configured via Settings/Keymap/Quick Lists.
>> Looks useful, but I don't know yet what to use it for:-) If anybody has
>> any good suggestions what to put in a quick list, please post.

As to useful application I personally have CVS quick list configured with
most used CVS actions (namely Commit, Check Out, Update, Compare with latest repository version, Show History and
Annotate) mapped to CtrlShiftC and Dmitry Peshehonov uses Quick Lists for toolwindow navigation by grouping some
actions from Window menu.


The first idea I had of items to put in the quick list unfortunately
isn't possible: I would like to put Ant targets in the quick list. Is
that a bug or is this a feature request?

Bas

0
Comment actions Permalink

You can't change or add any mapping in default keymap. Copy keymap first.

0
Comment actions Permalink

Bas Leijdekkers wrote:

On 28-04-2004 15:22, Maxim Shafirov (JetBrains) wrote:

>>> > Quick Lists can be configured via Settings/Keymap/Quick Lists.
>>> Looks useful, but I don't know yet what to use it for:-) If anybody
>>> has any good suggestions what to put in a quick list, please post.


>> As to useful application I personally have CVS quick list configured
>> with most used CVS actions (namely Commit, Check Out, Update, Compare
>> with latest repository version, Show History and Annotate) mapped to
>> CtrlShiftC and Dmitry Peshehonov uses Quick Lists for toolwindow
>> navigation by grouping some actions from Window menu.


The first idea I had of items to put in the quick list unfortunately
isn't possible: I would like to put Ant targets in the quick list. Is
that a bug or is this a feature request?

Bas

Looks like a bug indeed.

--
Maxim Shafirov
IntelliJ Labs / JetBrains Inc.
http://www.intellij.com
"Develop with pleasure!"

0
Comment actions Permalink

On 28-04-2004 16:28, Maxim Shafirov (JetBrains) wrote:

Bas Leijdekkers wrote:

>> On 28-04-2004 15:22, Maxim Shafirov (JetBrains) wrote:
>>
>>>> > Quick Lists can be configured via Settings/Keymap/Quick Lists.
>>>> Looks useful, but I don't know yet what to use it for:-) If anybody
>>>> has any good suggestions what to put in a quick list, please post.
>>
>>
>>> As to useful application I personally have CVS quick list configured
>>> with most used CVS actions (namely Commit, Check Out, Update, Compare
>>> with latest repository version, Show History and Annotate) mapped to
>>> CtrlShiftC and Dmitry Peshehonov uses Quick Lists for toolwindow
>>> navigation by grouping some actions from Window menu.
>>
>>
>> The first idea I had of items to put in the quick list unfortunately
>> isn't possible: I would like to put Ant targets in the quick list. Is
>> that a bug or is this a feature request?
>>
>> Bas

Looks like a bug indeed.


Should I submit an SCR?

0
Comment actions Permalink

Bas Leijdekkers wrote:

Should I submit an SCR?

yup

--
Maxim Shafirov
IntelliJ Labs / JetBrains Inc.
http://www.intellij.com
"Develop with pleasure!"

0
Comment actions Permalink

One last UI quirk: Why the italic font in the displayed list? IDEA uses normal fonts for the "Show In" and "Generate" lists, couldn't it be the same for quick lists?

The fact that most italic fonts are usually as ugly as an orc ass without proper antialiasing...

0
Comment actions Permalink

Marcus Brito wrote:

One last UI quirk: Why the italic font in the displayed list? IDEA uses normal fonts for the "Show In" and "Generate" lists, couldn't it be the same for quick lists?

The fact that most italic fonts are usually as ugly as an orc ass without proper antialiasing...

Hmm, does anyone else expriencing the same?

--
Maxim Shafirov
IntelliJ Labs / JetBrains Inc.
http://www.intellij.com
"Develop with pleasure!"

0
Comment actions Permalink


I'm using it for CVS commands, and it seems nice. Pretty much everything else I either use it so often that I've got keyboard shortcuts wired into my spinal cord, or I need it so rarely that I would never remember that I had a quick list for it. I guess the nice way of putting it is that quick-list fill a small but important usability gap for tasks of intermediate frequency.

--Dave Griffith

0
Comment actions Permalink

Perty nice.

Bug? If you change the name of your menu, the keystrokes are lost, but
if you try to reset them, then you get a conflict dialog. Is the other
menu still there.

Also, I tried to map using the right mouse key. They registered as
unused and saved, but the always pulled up the normal right-click menu -
even if I mapped the ALT or the CTRL.


Can you add the ability to put in menu breaks? Also, can you space them
over so that the numbering is consistent like the other menus?




If you need me to log any of these, I would be glad to (not really glad,
kind of the same way you feel about taking out the garbage or cutting
the grass - I will if I have to :-P ).

Norris Shelton
Sun Certified Java Programmer




Maxim Shafirov (JetBrains) wrote:

You can't change or add any mapping in default keymap. Copy keymap first.




Attachment(s):
moz-screenshot-1.jpg
0
Comment actions Permalink

Gerd Klima wrote:

at present I have 2 quick lists, "Best-Of-Refactoring" (mapped to
Ctrl-Alt-1)
and "Best-Of-Editor" (mapped to Ctrl-Alt-2).


How do you map the quicklist - with 2013 when I select a quicklist, the
map buttons don't enable....

0
Comment actions Permalink

I had the same problem. Copy the default keymap. You cannot map any
keys in the default keymap. This should probably be a little clearer.

Norris Shelton
Sun Certified Java Programmer




Mark Derricutt wrote:

Gerd Klima wrote:

>
>> at present I have 2 quick lists, "Best-Of-Refactoring" (mapped to
>> Ctrl-Alt-1)
>> and "Best-Of-Editor" (mapped to Ctrl-Alt-2).
>
>

How do you map the quicklist - with 2013 when I select a quicklist,
the map buttons don't enable....

0
Comment actions Permalink


"Maxim Shafirov (JetBrains)" <max@intellij.com> wrote in message news:c6ol05$d45$1@is.intellij.net...

Marcus Brito wrote:

>

One last UI quirk: Why the italic font in the displayed list? IDEA uses normal fonts for the "Show In" and "Generate" lists,

couldn't it be the same for quick lists?

>

The fact that most italic fonts are usually as ugly as an orc ass without proper antialiasing...

Hmm, does anyone else expriencing the same?


Absolutely! The very first thing to do after a new IDEA install is go through Fonts/Colors
and get rid of all italic fonts. I'm not using LCD screens, but on my CRT (1280x1024 and
occasionally 1600x1200) all italics look indeed "orc ass" ugly and hard to read.
Antialising does not really help. Italics look a little better but all other fonts start to look
much worse so all of them get equally bad. So I got rid of both antialiasing and italics.

--Oleg

>

--
Maxim Shafirov
IntelliJ Labs / JetBrains Inc.
http://www.intellij.com
"Develop with pleasure!"



0
Comment actions Permalink

Interesting. Italics don't bother me that much but I just can't stand bold.
Oh, and that random gray background on xml either.

Vince.


0
Comment actions Permalink


"Vincent Mallet" <xmalletva@tripos.com> wrote in message news:c6pooc$lmd$1@is.intellij.net...

Interesting. Italics don't bother me that much but I just can't stand bold.


I can't stand it either, but for me it's less evil than italics, especially when it's colored
(I'm weird, I know :)

Oh, and that random gray background on xml either.


Yeah, I've changed it also to be a normal white

>

Vince.

>
>


0
Comment actions Permalink

On 28-04-2004 17:57, Maxim Shafirov (JetBrains) wrote:

Bas Leijdekkers wrote:

>> Should I submit an SCR?

yup


Here it is: http://www.intellij.net/tracker/idea/viewSCR?publicId=32188

The first bug reports for quick lists were submitted on 28 February. I
didn't notice this feature for almost 2 months! I wonder what else I missed.

Bas

0
Comment actions Permalink

That varies a bit. Some fonts look real nice while antialiased, while some others look too blurred. Almost all fonts look bad on italics without antialiasing, however.

And just for account: antialiasing on JDK 1.5 is much better. Under 1.4 antialiasing can make a font look too blurred, as I pointed above -- 1.5 seems to have a new algorithm for antialiasing, and doesn't blur that much anymore.

0
Comment actions Permalink

Bold pisses me off too, but that's for another reasons. The fonts I normally use on the editor are not "true" fixed width fonts. All plain characters do have the same width, but bold characters are wider (the font probably doesn't have a proper bold version, and it is in fact synthesized).

ProFont, Monaco, Aquafont and Mikachan are fonts that behave like thas, and the first two at least are quite popular.

0
Comment actions Permalink

Maxim Shafirov (JetBrains) wrote:

> Feel free to comment on this.


Quicklists look like the natural (and easiest ?) way to implement the
pop-up list requested in

"Multi-key shortcuts improvment"
http://www.intellij.net/tracker/idea/viewSCR?publicId=23571



Notes:
- in this case - multi-key shortcuts with a common root -, the users
shouldn't have to create them manually.
- this behaviour (automatic quicklist pop-up) should be optional,
ideally for each shortcut tree (ex: auto-quicklist for all F5.., F6..,
but not for the others combinations)


What do you think?
(meaning: could this feature be "fixed" in Pallada?)


Alain

0
Comment actions Permalink

Alain Ravet wrote:

I forgot to mention that, for those auto-quicklists, that regroup all
the multi-key shortcuts that share a common root key (first key of the
sequence), this root key should be the auto-quicklist shortcut.

Alain

0
Comment actions Permalink

Is this quick list accessible from the OpenAPI?

It could be handly from a plugin point of view to enable a little easy accessible menu with some actions/commands to execute.

/Claus

0
Comment actions Permalink

I can confirm this.

Assignments to Button 1 & 2 work.

Button 3 always displays the default menu.

Buttons 4 & 5 don't work at all
(which is probably a limitation in Java, but would be great to have)

0

Please sign in to leave a comment.