git pull no longer responds

I am running IDEA 8.1.3, build #9886 on a Mac (Snow Leopard, 10.6.1). 'git pull' used to work, and now it suddenly doesn't. I get no reaction from the IDE at all - it doesn't lock up, control is returned immediately. So far I have been able to issue all the other git commands. I upgraded to v1.6.4.4 of git, and it still does it. The only thing that has changed around this time is upgrading to Snow Leopard. I've rebooted, reinstalled (IDEA) and run a repair disk permissions, and it doesn't fix it. It doesn't matter what branch I currently have checked out.

Oddly enough, it seems to be restricted to specific projects. I opened another one and it worked fine.

I can't find anything related in the console logging. Are there any internal logs that might hint to what is happening?

Thanks

Chris

1 comment
Comment actions Permalink

Alright, I've found the internal logs.

2009-10-09 14:13:28,740 [14104775]  ERROR - com.intellij.ide.IdeEventQueue - Error during dispatching of java.awt.event.MouseEvent[MOUSE_RELEASED,(106,231),absolute(487,807),button=1,modifiers=Button1,clickCount=1] on ###overrideRedirect###
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Unexpected format for 'git remote show' line 1:  Fetch URL: git@github.com:littlebiggy/lb-web.git
 at git4idea.GitRemote.localInfo(GitRemote.java:197)
 at git4idea.merge.GitPullDialog.updateBranches(GitPullDialog.java:238)
 at git4idea.merge.GitPullDialog.setupBranches(GitPullDialog.java:136)
 at git4idea.merge.GitPullDialog.<init>(GitPullDialog.java:113)
 at git4idea.actions.GitPull.perform(GitPull.java:55)
 at git4idea.actions.GitRepositoryAction$3.run(GitRepositoryAction.java:97)
 at com.intellij.openapi.vcs.impl.AbstractVcsHelperImpl.runTransactionRunnable(AbstractVcsHelperImpl.java:59)
 at git4idea.actions.GitRepositoryAction.actionPerformed(GitRepositoryAction.java:93)
 at com.intellij.openapi.actionSystem.impl.ActionMenuItem$ActionTransmitter.actionPerformed(ActionMenuItem.java:17)
 at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2028)
 at com.intellij.openapi.actionSystem.impl.ActionMenuItem.fireActionPerformed(ActionMenuItem.java:41)
 at com.intellij.ui.plaf.beg.BegMenuItemUI.a(BegMenuItemUI.java:65)
 at com.intellij.ui.plaf.beg.BegMenuItemUI.access$300(BegMenuItemUI.java:129)
 at com.intellij.ui.plaf.beg.BegMenuItemUI$MyMouseInputHandler.mouseReleased(BegMenuItemUI.java:5)
 at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Component.java:6348)
 at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(JComponent.java:3267)
 at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Component.java:6113)
 at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Container.java:2085)
 at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:4714)
 at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2143)
 at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:4544)
 at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Container.java:4618)
 at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Container.java:4282)
 at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Container.java:4212)
 at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2129)
 at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Window.java:2475)
 at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:4544)
 at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:635)
 at com.intellij.ide.IdeEventQueue.c(IdeEventQueue.java:35)
 at com.intellij.ide.IdeEventQueue.b(IdeEventQueue.java:223)
 at com.intellij.ide.IdeEventQueue.dispatchEvent(IdeEventQueue.java:217)
 at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:296)
 at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:211)
 at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:201)
 at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:196)
 at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:188)
 at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:122)
2009-10-09 14:13:28,741 [14104776]  ERROR - com.intellij.ide.IdeEventQueue - IntelliJ IDEA 8.1.3  Build #9886
2009-10-09 14:13:28,741 [14104776]  ERROR - com.intellij.ide.IdeEventQueue - JDK: 1.6.0_15
2009-10-09 14:13:28,741 [14104776]  ERROR - com.intellij.ide.IdeEventQueue - VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM
2009-10-09 14:13:28,741 [14104776]  ERROR - com.intellij.ide.IdeEventQueue - Vendor: Apple Inc.
2009-10-09 14:13:28,741 [14104776]  ERROR - com.intellij.ide.IdeEventQueue - OS: Mac OS X
2009-10-09 14:13:28,741 [14104776]  ERROR - com.intellij.ide.IdeEventQueue - Last Action: Git.Pull



Now, looking at the error message "Unexpected format for 'git remote show' line 1", it appears that github is no longer sending a response in a format that IDEA likes. The web interface has changed recently, so this is a possibility. Also, when searching around, I found a similar thread under the EAP forum from someone on vista. Different OS, different build (newer), same problem, roughly same timeframe.

http://www.jetbrains.net/devnet/message/5244928#5244928

No output appears in the version control console.
0

Please sign in to leave a comment.