An idea (sic) on releasing builds

How about making ALL builds available. The builds that you think are usable
(e.g. the currently released builds) should get labeled as "stable". This
way someone who is having trouble with a bug that makes a build unusable can
get a fix as soon as it is done, KNOWING FULL WELL THAT IT IS NOT considered
stable.

Do not change the build download page to deter the less adventerous. This
would leave it up to us desperate souls to build the URL on our own for a
particular build.

What do you guys think?


5 comments
Comment actions Permalink

I like this idea, but I think it might hurt the development process, with people filing bugs on a wider range of builds, making problems harder to track down.

0
Comment actions Permalink

I would suggest that bugs should only be filed against the stable builds.
The others are REALLY use at your own risk, because we will not help your
arse.

I usually have multiple versions installed on my machine. I guess if this
goes over, I would use the latest greatest. If I get a blow-up, I would try
it in the last stable build. If I can duplicate it, I will file a bug ELSE
I will put a post an FYI in the newsgroup as a possible new bug (or maybe do
nothing - depends on what the developers say).

"Keith Lea" <keith@cs.oswego.edu> wrote in message
news:1184942.1071862621715.JavaMail.itn@is.intellij.net...

I like this idea, but I think it might hurt the development process, with

people filing bugs on a wider range of builds, making problems harder to
track down.


0
Comment actions Permalink

Tried asking, many times, for 'Nighlies' which are not quite this, but
definitely builds as we see them in tracker. The answer was no.

R

Norris Shelton wrote:

I would suggest that bugs should only be filed against the stable builds.
The others are REALLY use at your own risk, because we will not help your
arse.

I usually have multiple versions installed on my machine. I guess if this
goes over, I would use the latest greatest. If I get a blow-up, I would try
it in the last stable build. If I can duplicate it, I will file a bug ELSE
I will put a post an FYI in the newsgroup as a possible new bug (or maybe do
nothing - depends on what the developers say).

"Keith Lea" <keith@cs.oswego.edu> wrote in message
news:1184942.1071862621715.JavaMail.itn@is.intellij.net...

>>I like this idea, but I think it might hurt the development process, with


people filing bugs on a wider range of builds, making problems harder to
track down.

0
Comment actions Permalink

Considering the amount of whining they have to endure about the builds
they do release, that's understandable.

Robert S. Sfeir wrote:

Tried asking, many times, for 'Nighlies' which are not quite this, but
definitely builds as we see them in tracker. The answer was no.

R

Norris Shelton wrote:

>> I would suggest that bugs should only be filed against the stable builds.
>> The others are REALLY use at your own risk, because we will not help your
>> arse.
>>
>> I usually have multiple versions installed on my machine. I guess if
>> this
>> goes over, I would use the latest greatest. If I get a blow-up, I
>> would try
>> it in the last stable build. If I can duplicate it, I will file a bug
>> ELSE
>> I will put a post an FYI in the newsgroup as a possible new bug (or
>> maybe do
>> nothing - depends on what the developers say).
>>
>> "Keith Lea" <keith@cs.oswego.edu> wrote in message
>> news:1184942.1071862621715.JavaMail.itn@is.intellij.net...
>>
>>> I like this idea, but I think it might hurt the development process,
>>> with
>>
>>
>> people filing bugs on a wider range of builds, making problems harder to
>> track down.
>>
>>

0
Comment actions Permalink

Michael Besosa wrote:

Considering the amount of whining they have to endure about the builds
they do release, that's understandable.

>
Don't mistake feedback for whining.
The amount is only due to JetBrains repeated and consistent silence. I
guess they thought our reactions would fade out, and we would eventually
swallow it.
Guess what : we didn't. That must mean something.


If Sony were to release a new giant LCD, half the price and double the
quality of their competition, I would still complain if they put the
command buttons in a hard-to-reach place. It's called feedback. They
feed us with features, we feed them back with opinions, and reactions.

Alain

0

Please sign in to leave a comment.