Remote debug against Websphere 6.1

Since upgrading our app server from Websphere 6.0 to Websphere 6.1 (6.1.0.15), we have been effectively unable to use remote debug successfully against our development servers. We can initially connect to the debug port and set a break point, but after 2 or 3 steps in the code Websphere becomes unresponsive.

Although I imagine that Websphere is the problem, I post here in the hope that someone else has already overcome this problem and can give us some advice (other than discontinuing to use Websphere - our hands are tied there).

Websphere Version: 6.1.0.15
IntelliJ: 7.04 #7941 (Earlier versions have also been tried)
Debug parameters: -Xdebug -Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,server=y,suspend=n,address=7778 (Many other combinations have been tried).

3 comments
Comment actions Permalink

Hello greggdale,

This is a wild guess, but you might as well give it a try. When debugging
against IBM JVM 1.4.x, we had to set this option in the idea.exe.vmoptions
file:

-Didea.debugger.keep.temp.objects=false

Unless we had this, the VM became unresponsive or crash after a few steps.
I now you're dealing with 1.5 now, but you might want to try that setting,
it might be something intrinsic to IBM JVMs.

HTH,
Andrei



g> Since upgrading our app server from Websphere 6.0 to Websphere 6.1
g> (6.1.0.15), we have been effectively unable to use remote debug
g> successfully against our development servers. We can initially
g> connect to the debug port and set a break point, but after 2 or 3
g> steps in the code Websphere becomes unresponsive.
g>
g> Although I imagine that Websphere is the problem, I post here in the
g> hope that someone else has already overcome this problem and can give
g> us some advice (other than discontinuing to use Websphere - our hands
g> are tied there).
g>
g> Websphere Version: 6.1.0.15
g>
g> IntelliJ: 7.04 #7941 (Earlier versions have also been tried)
g>
g> Debug parameters: -Xdebug
g> -Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,server=y,suspend=n,address=7778 (Many
g> other combinations have been tried).
g>


0
Comment actions Permalink

Thanks.

This does seem to result in some improvement, but we still can't take more than a dozen steps or so before we get "Waiting for debugger to complete last command" or "Gathering information" when we open an object in
frame.

We continue to investigate.

0
Comment actions Permalink

Hello greggdale,
Thread suspend policy may fix the problem "suspend policy= Thread"

Here is the more info

http://www.jetbrains.net/jira/browse/IDEADEV-25155

Thanks.

This does seem to result in some improvement, but we still can't take
more than a dozen steps or so before we get "Waiting for debugger to
complete last command" or "Gathering information" when we open an
object in frame.

We continue to investigate.



0

Please sign in to leave a comment.