Module option in Run/Debug Configuration

What is the Module option used for in the Run/Debug Configurations?

Shouldn't it be possible to set an application's (== Run/Debug
Configuration) class path independent of the module?

Tom


7 comments

Thomas Singer wrote:

What is the Module option used for in the Run/Debug Configurations?

Shouldn't it be possible to set an application's (== Run/Debug
Configuration) class path independent of the module?


Why it should be possible?

Friendly,
Dmitry
--
Dmitry Lomov
IntelliJ Labs / JetBrains Inc.
http://www.intellij.com
"Develop with pleasure!"

0

Dmitry is there a reason webapps don't have a module to define? Is this
coming?

R

Dmitry Lomov (JetBrains) wrote:

Thomas Singer wrote:

>>What is the Module option used for in the Run/Debug Configurations?
>>
>>Shouldn't it be possible to set an application's (== Run/Debug
>>Configuration) class path independent of the module?


Why it should be possible?

Friendly,
Dmitry


0

>>Shouldn't it be possible to set an application's (== Run/Debug
>>Configuration) class path independent of the module?


Why it should be possible?


Because the Run classpath might also contain resource directories, that
are not necessary to compile (= module class path) and seem to confuse
IDEA at the moment.

Tom

0

Thomas Singer wrote:

>>>Shouldn't it be possible to set an application's (== Run/Debug
>>>Configuration) class path independent of the module?
>>
>> Why it should be possible?


Because the Run classpath might also contain resource directories, that
are not necessary to compile (= module class path) and seem to confuse
IDEA at the moment.


Add these as a library to a module that needs them.

Dmitry
--
Dmitry Lomov
IntelliJ Labs / JetBrains Inc.
http://www.intellij.com
"Develop with pleasure!"

0

Add these as a library to a module that needs them.


But this confuses IDEA: classes/packages from these directories are not
displayed any more in the project/package view!

Tom

0

But this confuses IDEA: classes/packages from these directories are not
displayed any more in the project/package view!


... which makes IDEA 963 again unusable for our projects :(

Tom


0

I'm pretty sure there is a SCR for this. We run into this all the time
because we have a series of servers that operate as a service-provider
environment. The same server can be started with a different directory
for the its resources and thus be configured. But idea only allows the
adding of resource directories at a global level (project/module) -- not
at the run/debug level. The ability to specify an additional classpath
at the run/debug level could have many uses. The above is one. The
ability to swap on and off aspects could be another

Thomas Singer wrote:
>>> Shouldn't it be possible to set an application's (== Run/Debug
>>> Configuration) class path independent of the module?
>>
>>
>> Why it should be possible?


Because the Run classpath might also contain resource directories, that
are not necessary to compile (= module class path) and seem to confuse
IDEA at the moment.

Tom


0

Please sign in to leave a comment.