Add an option to silently compile in background

This feature request is partly inspired by Eclipse which holds everything
compiled.

"It could be an option to compile (with default compiler) in background when
there
is no errors in class (yellow box comes into view) or when there is no
errors and warnings (green box comes into view)."

Compilation should run in the background, so we always have classes in sync
with sources.




--

pozdrawiam,

-


Michal Szklanowski
senior consultant
empolis Polska
tel. (0-22) 535-88-38
-




9 comments

So by the term "in background" here you also mean that compiler should be invoked automatically on certain events...
IDEA already has background compilation mode but in means that there's no modal progress dialog while compiler is running and
compiler should be invoked "manually".
Personnaly I see no additional benefits (but rather additional annoyances) in that the compiler is started automatically. What do
you find convenient here?

--

Best regards,
Eugene Zhuravlev
JetBrains, Inc, http://www.intellij.com
"Develop with pleasure!"

"Michal Szklanowski" <mszklano@wp.pl> wrote in message news:bnlh4n$ogd$1@is.intellij.net...

This feature request is partly inspired by Eclipse which holds everything
compiled.

>

"It could be an option to compile (with default compiler) in background when
there
is no errors in class (yellow box comes into view) or when there is no
errors and warnings (green box comes into view)."

>

Compilation should run in the background, so we always have classes in sync
with sources.

>
>
>
>

--

>

pozdrawiam,

>

----------------------------------------------
Michal Szklanowski
senior consultant
empolis Polska
tel. (0-22) 535-88-38
----------------------------------------------

>
>


0

Eugene Zhuravlev (JetBrains) wrote:

>Personnaly I see no additional benefits (but rather additional annoyances) in that the compiler is started automatically. What do you find convenient here?
>


I would expect faster application/tests start, the same way "save in
background" makes closing an application faster, as you don't have to
save all the modified files anymore.

Advantage : I would also feel less guilty when doing nothing, as I would
actually be actively letting IDEA compile silently my code in the
background:)
Disadvantage : less time to drink coffee.


Alain

0

I've used eclipse and know what Michael is talking about -- personally, I don't think it's an enticing feature. This background compilation is A Good Thing for eclipse because it's syntax checker is slow and doesn't always catch erros on time. Hitting CTR+S saves the file and triggers the compiler, catching and hiliting any errors not hilited before.

First, you don't have the concept of file saving in IDEA. Everything is hold in internal storage and kept up-to-date automatically. Ta make something vaguely similir to this in IDEA you need to have the compiler running almost all the time in the background -- this would be a big performance hit. Also, IDEA error hiliting is good enough so you don't need this automatic compilation.

Moreover, IDEA compiler is fast enough. Putting aside the first compile (project rebuild), make times are short enough during development. Adding this autocompile would save you what, 3 to 5 seconds at most?

0

Marcus Brito wrote:

>.. this autocompile would save you what, 3 to 5 seconds at most?

>

In 5 seconds, my heart beats 6-7 times, and pump close to 1/2 liter of
blood.
(http://media.nasaexplores.com/lessons/03-029/5-8_2.pdf)

You can do a lot in 5 seconds.

Alain


0

I fully agree with the reasons that Marcus posted.
Also a technical problem is that IDEA uses external compiler and each invocation of "Make" means starting another java VM and
invoking javac (or jikes - still another process). Unless we have our own (faster and more tightly integrated) compiler, there is no
advantage.

--

Best regards,
Eugene Zhuravlev
JetBrains, Inc, http://www.intellij.com
"Develop with pleasure!"


0

I fully agree with the reasons that Marcus posted.
Also a technical problem is that IDEA uses external compiler and each

invocation of "Make" means starting another java VM and

invoking javac (or jikes - still another process). Unless we have our own

(faster and more tightly integrated) compiler, there is no

advantage.


The famous IntelliJac !!!!!!

Guillaume Laforge


0

Eugene Zhuravlev (JetBrains) wrote:

So by the term "in background" here you also mean that compiler should be invoked automatically on certain events...
IDEA already has background compilation mode but in means that there's no modal progress dialog while compiler is running and
compiler should be invoked "manually".
Personnaly I see no additional benefits (but rather additional annoyances) in that the compiler is started automatically. What do
you find convenient here?

I've used CodeGuide and they do that, incremental compiling, as things
get saved it attempts to compile it, if it doesn't pass the file is
marked in red so we can see that it needs work. I kind of miss that,
but not enough to use CodeGuide :)

If it's there please by all means, add it! It would be great if it also
pre compiled jsp files.

R

0

Eugene Zhuravlev (JetBrains) wrote:

I fully agree with the reasons that Marcus posted.
Also a technical problem is that IDEA uses external compiler and each invocation of "Make" means starting another java VM and
invoking javac (or jikes - still another process). Unless we have our own (faster and more tightly integrated) compiler, there is no
advantage.


My understanding is that the Eclipse compiler is very good, open source, and
does not have the same memory leak problems that javac does. THe Apache
Cocoon project decided to support it to compile the XSP pages.

It is designed for continuous compilation, so it might be a candidate to
integrate with IDEA.

0

Berin Loritsch wrote:

Eugene Zhuravlev (JetBrains) wrote:

>> I fully agree with the reasons that Marcus posted.
>> Also a technical problem is that IDEA uses external compiler and each
>> invocation of "Make" means starting another java VM and
>> invoking javac (or jikes - still another process). Unless we have our
>> own (faster and more tightly integrated) compiler, there is no
>> advantage.
>>


My understanding is that the Eclipse compiler is very good, open source,
and
does not have the same memory leak problems that javac does. THe Apache
Cocoon project decided to support it to compile the XSP pages.

It is designed for continuous compilation, so it might be a candidate to
integrate with IDEA.


Oh yeah, another option is a compiler on SourceForge named Pizza. It also
doesn't have the same memory leak issues as javac, but it is not as fast
as the Eclipse compiler.

0

Please sign in to leave a comment.