EAP #957 Issue

I ran into an issue where the EAP crashed on startup, and I could not do
anything else. I just cleared out my cache and local VCS, so I will see
if that makes it usable again.

If this trick works, PLEASE update the installer script to automatically
clear out the cache and cached JARs if the user says to store all the
project info in that location. It will greatly reduce the number of
complaints about build XYZ being unusable.

I will say this much: the parsing of the JARs and classes on initial project
loading takes MUCH longer than the past couple builds. It is still doing
its job, so I don't want to interrupt it. I will report back when it is
done.

10 comments

Could you submit a request with stack trace, please?

"Berin Loritsch" <bloritsch@d-haven.org> wrote in message news:bn39a0$tks$1@is.intellij.net...

I ran into an issue where the EAP crashed on startup, and I could not do
anything else. I just cleared out my cache and local VCS, so I will see
if that makes it usable again.

>

If this trick works, PLEASE update the installer script to automatically
clear out the cache and cached JARs if the user says to store all the
project info in that location. It will greatly reduce the number of
complaints about build XYZ being unusable.

>

I will say this much: the parsing of the JARs and classes on initial project
loading takes MUCH longer than the past couple builds. It is still doing
its job, so I don't want to interrupt it. I will report back when it is
done.

>


0

Ok, now that the really long initial parsing is done, it starts up without
issue.

Please note, that a couple things could have happened:

When I started it up yesterday, I ran out of time and had to leave. I did a
hard shutdown of the program (clicking the "X" button on the terminal window).
That may have left the status of the "rt.jar" file in an inconsistent state.
If that was the culprit, I highly recommend using a JVM shutdown hook to clean
up any partially parsed files. See java.lang.Runtime.addShutdownHook(Thread).

It could simply be a cached file format conflict. If so, please have the
installer clean out the cache. Actually, any files that cannot move forward
should be cleaned out.

Berin Loritsch wrote:

I ran into an issue where the EAP crashed on startup, and I could not do
anything else. I just cleared out my cache and local VCS, so I will see
if that makes it usable again.

If this trick works, PLEASE update the installer script to automatically
clear out the cache and cached JARs if the user says to store all the
project info in that location. It will greatly reduce the number of
complaints about build XYZ being unusable.

I will say this much: the parsing of the JARs and classes on initial
project
loading takes MUCH longer than the past couple builds. It is still doing
its job, so I don't want to interrupt it. I will report back when it is
done.


0

Stanislav Davydov (JetBrains) wrote:

Could you submit a request with stack trace, please?


That was done automatically.


"Berin Loritsch" <bloritsch@d-haven.org> wrote in message news:bn39a0$tks$1@is.intellij.net...

>>I ran into an issue where the EAP crashed on startup, and I could not do
>>anything else. I just cleared out my cache and local VCS, so I will see
>>if that makes it usable again.
>>
>>If this trick works, PLEASE update the installer script to automatically
>>clear out the cache and cached JARs if the user says to store all the
>>project info in that location. It will greatly reduce the number of
>>complaints about build XYZ being unusable.
>>
>>I will say this much: the parsing of the JARs and classes on initial project
>>loading takes MUCH longer than the past couple builds. It is still doing
>>its job, so I don't want to interrupt it. I will report back when it is
>>done.
>>



0

Doesn't everyone just install IDEA to a new directory and tell it to store caches (etc.) in the new installation directory? Yeah, it takes longer to startup the first time (that spare time is what blogs are for...) but doing that that I've never had a problem with any EAP except 939.

0

Chris Winters wrote:

Doesn't everyone just install IDEA to a new directory and tell it to store
caches (etc.) in the new installation directory? Yeah, it takes longer to
startup the first time (that spare time is what blogs are for...) but doing
that that I've never had a problem with any EAP except 939.



Short answer: no.

I have limited space on my hard drive. I can't afford to have multiple caches,
etc.

0

Just how limited -is- your space? The entire system directory from my
(relatively fresh) 957 installation comes to 76 Mb. Surely that's not too
much, in these days of multi-gigabyte disks?

On the other hand, can't you just delete the caches from your old
installation? From what I hear on this newsgroup it's worth it, for the
amount of pain it'll save you.

(Personally I always do as the OP suggested and have never had any trouble -
other than the regular sort of bugs - with the EAPs)

Cheerio,
Vil.

Berin Loritsch wrote:

Short answer: no.

I have limited space on my hard drive. I can't afford to have multiple
caches,
etc.


--
Vilya Harvey
vilya.harvey@digitalsteps.com / digital steps /
(W) +44 (0)1483 469 480
(M) +44 (0)7816 678 457 http://www.digitalsteps.com/

0

Vilya Harvey wrote:

Just how limited -is- your space? The entire system directory from my
(relatively fresh) 957 installation comes to 76 Mb. Surely that's not
too much, in these days of multi-gigabyte disks?


15 GB with IDEA and MS Visual Studio.NET, Office, etc. My cache and local
VC can easily grow to several hundred megabytes.


On the other hand, can't you just delete the caches from your old
installation? From what I hear on this newsgroup it's worth it, for the
amount of pain it'll save you.


That's what I did to get it working. It hasn't been necessary most of
the time.


(Personally I always do as the OP suggested and have never had any
trouble - other than the regular sort of bugs - with the EAPs)


This is the first time I experienced such a bug. My guess is that it really
had more to do with the partially processed RT.JAR file than anything else.

0

Fair enough. Whatever works for you is good, I guess.

Vil.

Berin Loritsch wrote:

Vilya Harvey wrote:

>> Just how limited -is- your space? The entire system directory from my
>> (relatively fresh) 957 installation comes to 76 Mb. Surely that's not
>> too much, in these days of multi-gigabyte disks?


15 GB with IDEA and MS Visual Studio.NET, Office, etc. My cache and local
VC can easily grow to several hundred megabytes.

>>
>> On the other hand, can't you just delete the caches from your old
>> installation? From what I hear on this newsgroup it's worth it, for
>> the amount of pain it'll save you.


That's what I did to get it working. It hasn't been necessary most of
the time.

>>
>> (Personally I always do as the OP suggested and have never had any
>> trouble - other than the regular sort of bugs - with the EAPs)


This is the first time I experienced such a bug. My guess is that it
really
had more to do with the partially processed RT.JAR file than anything else.


--
Vilya Harvey
vilya.harvey@digitalsteps.com / digital steps /
(W) +44 (0)1483 469 480
(M) +44 (0)7816 678 457 http://www.digitalsteps.com/

0

Chris Winters wrote:

Doesn't everyone just install IDEA to a new directory and tell it to store caches (etc.) in the new installation directory? Yeah, it takes longer to startup the first time (that spare time is what blogs are for...) but doing that that I've never had a problem with any EAP except 939.


I install to a new directory, but I store the caches in my home
directory (separately from the 3.05. version though). I have had to
clean out the caches once I think in the entire Aurora EAP and I've been
installing every build since 89x.

Maybe I'm just lucky.

Ciao,
Gordon

--
Gordon Tyler (Software Developer)
Quest Software <http://java.quest.com/>
260 King Street East, Toronto, Ontario M5A 4L5, Canada
Voice: 416-643-4846 | Fax: 416-594-1919

0

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 13:21:14 +0000, Chris Winters wrote:

Doesn't everyone just install IDEA to a new directory and tell it to store
caches (etc.) in the new installation directory? Yeah, it takes longer to
startup the first time (that spare time is what blogs are for...) but
doing that that I've never had a problem with any EAP except 939.


Nope - I do the odd thing of rebuilding the downloaded .tar.gz into 4-5
RPMs which I then install into my system all nice and clean like. I also
have a yum repository for which others in the office are also using to
upgrade IDEA :)


--
"It's all in the heat of the moment, it's all in the pain..." Devy.
Mark Derricutt @ mark@talios.com @ talios.blog-city.com

0

Please sign in to leave a comment.