Notification of modified files gone on the tab?

Is it just me or did the * that appears on a file tab after modifications
disappear in the new builds?

--Grant


11 comments
Comment actions Permalink

Grant Gochnauer wrote:

>Is it just me or did the * that appears on a file tab after modifications
>disappear in the new builds?
>

>
It's now an option :
IDE Settings.Editor.Display."Mark modified tabs with asterisk"


Alain

0
Comment actions Permalink

Thanks! I found it.. Much better now..

--Grant

"Alain Ravet" <alain.ravet.list@wanadoo.be> wrote in message
news:beukvr$1h0$1@is.intellij.net...

Grant Gochnauer wrote:

>

>Is it just me or did the * that appears on a file tab after modifications
>disappear in the new builds?
>
>
>
It's now an option :
IDE Settings.Editor.Display."Mark modified tabs with asterisk"

>
>

Alain

>


0
Comment actions Permalink

If it's not a secret :) for what puproses are you using this option?
We found that it's absolutely useless because IDEA almost alltime keeps
your editors content in sync with files content.

Best regards,
Vladimir Kondratyev
_____________________
JetBrains


Grant Gochnauer wrote:

Thanks! I found it.. Much better now..

--Grant

"Alain Ravet" <alain.ravet.list@wanadoo.be> wrote in message
news:beukvr$1h0$1@is.intellij.net...

>>Grant Gochnauer wrote:
>>
>>
>>>Is it just me or did the * that appears on a file tab after modifications
>>>disappear in the new builds?
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>It's now an option :
>>IDE Settings.Editor.Display."Mark modified tabs with asterisk"
>>
>>
>>Alain
>>



0
Comment actions Permalink

Personally, I just like to see what I've done. I'm never worried about losing my changes, it's just habit to keep track of what files I've changed. Maybe I should rethink my habit...after all, I never thought I would be comfortable without a Save button, and now I don't even miss it (in fact, I actually like not thinking about saving my files all the time).

Tobin

0
Comment actions Permalink

"Vladimir Kondratyev" <vova@intellij.com> wrote in message
news:beus3j$u89$1@is.intellij.net...

If it's not a secret :) for what puproses are you using this option?
We found that it's absolutely useless because IDEA almost alltime keeps
your editors content in sync with files content.


I used to use it to figure out which classes I was working on versus which
classes I was only looking at.

(I don't use it that way anymore because I've started using the recent files
list to switch between classes. Unfortunately, that list has no indication
of which classes you've recently edited.)


0
Comment actions Permalink

I usually use it because I edit a lot of files after doing 'Find Usages' without paying much attention to the file names.

I can't think of anything you gain by removing this from the default behavior?

0
Comment actions Permalink

Erik Hanson wrote:

I used to use it to figure out which classes I was working on versus which
classes I was only looking at.


But local VCS gives you status coloring. At the first glance it's much
more convenient then asterisk. IDEA saves files very often (you can even
specify lazy time period of savings) so asterisk gives nothing because
it's temporal.

Best regards,
Vladimir Kondratyev
_____________________
JetBrains

0
Comment actions Permalink

I'm not seeing the status colouring you mention. Does that have to be turned on somewhere? I've got Local VCS running, but doing Tools -> Local VCS -> History does not seem very convenient.

There are a number of obscure cases where I find the asterisk useful. When handling slow dialogues I like to make sure the key-presses have gone to the dialogue not to the editor (having been caught out in the past.) Similarly, when repeating Ctrl-Z to undo things I quite often get to the 'no asterisk' stage, take my hand of the keys and suddently notice the asterisk comes back due to a stray 'z' being inserted into the editor.

Regardless of the cause of an editor changing it's good to see immediately that it's changed, even if it is, as you say, only temporary.

0
Comment actions Permalink

If it's not a secret :) for what puproses are you using this option?


I often work on very few classes, but at the same time I have to look at many others in order to understand what is going on. The asterisk is very helpful if I want to switch to one of the classes that I am working on, because I can find the tabs much faster. For me it would be very helpful if the tabs show in some way what classes I have recently edited, even after saving.

0
Comment actions Permalink

Vova, is this something new?
I know regular VCS (e.g. CVS) does it but if you don't
use that - LVCS is no help. At least it wasn't prior to 859.

r.

P.S. And, yes, I depend on asterisk, too. Others described
the use patterns quite exact - find out which file I was editing,
or hit ctrl-z until asterisk is gone. And I know it is incomplete
solution (auto save or save when UI left) but I'm used to that.


Vladimir Kondratyev wrote:

But local VCS gives you status coloring.


0
Comment actions Permalink

For me, the asterisk is useful because it shows the files I've been just been working on, whereas the CVS shows me all files changed since the last checkin, which might be a longer time period.

I don't use time based saving, although I do use the option to save when switching focus, but often use ^S to flush the saves .

0

Please sign in to leave a comment.