spurious "Cannot resolve symbol" errors in 7.0 editor

I posted a question about this before, but upgrading from 7.0R6 to 7.0 seemed to fix it. But, it turns out there were still a few spurious red lines that won't go away.

I haven't seen a recurrence of the superfluous red lines in the editor due to jar updates, but right now I have an error in the editor where it says "Cannot resolve symbol" for a class that exists in the same package and same directory in the same project.

In particular, the class com.ign.pxed.editInstance.client.EditInstance is unable to see (in the editor) the class com.ign.pxed.editInstance.client.EditSelfContainedInstance

It builds and runs fine. I tried deleting the system directory, the target directories, and doing a full rebuild. Nothing has fixed the issue. I haven't tried recreating the project files yet.

What should I delete or rebuild to make this go away?

Comment actions Permalink

Here are additional details:

I found that I could temporarily fix the issue by renaming the class (using alt-shift-r and then manually changing the name manually for the ones that the refactor doesn't find due to the symbol not found error) to another class name. Specifically, I renamed EditSelfContainedInstance to EditSelfContainedInstance2 and the symbol not found error went away for that class.

But, it came back later on. I'm up to EditSelfContainedInstance5. That worked fine for a couple of days and now it's red lined again. I have not yet figured out what causes it to red line. I just renamed it to EditSelfContainedInstance again and the error went away, so apparently it's not necessary to avoid previous names when renaming.

Comment actions Permalink

Maybe setting the 'clear output directory on rebuild' in the project - compiler settings will help. (and then use the rebuild task ...)


Please sign in to leave a comment.