10-15 second delay after ALT-TAB to IntelliJ

Hi All,

When I ALT-TAB to IntelliJ, I usually have to wait 10-15 seconds before I can edit source or click on anything. Sometimes I can edit source in the last file I was editing when I ALT-TAB to IntelliJ, but when I click on a different file to edit, I have to wait 10-15 seconds.

I've experienced this with 6.0+ and I'm currently running 6.0.3 beta build #6117.

I've tried removing all plug-ins that I can do without. I've tried disabling code analysis. Does anyone else experience this as well? Any suggestions and what I can do to avoid this delay? We have other developers working in the same project who do not experience this.

Thanks,
Eric

5 comments
Comment actions Permalink

This seems to happen mostly when I ALT-TAB to IntelliJ, then click on a different file to edit.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Kind regards,
Eric

0
Comment actions Permalink

Hi Eric,
Take some CPU snapshots during slowdowns and attach them to a new IDEA issue that you create. JetBrains should look into it.
Jon

0
Comment actions Permalink

Hi,
You can switch off Sync on Frame deactivation in General settings.

Eric Rich wrote:

Hi All,

When I ALT-TAB to IntelliJ, I usually have to wait 10-15 seconds before I can edit source or click on anything. Sometimes I can edit source in the last file I was editing when I ALT-TAB to IntelliJ, but when I click on a different file to edit, I have to wait 10-15 seconds.

I've experienced this with 6.0+ and I'm currently running 6.0.3 beta build #6117.

I've tried removing all plug-ins that I can do without. I've tried disabling code analysis. Does anyone else experience this as well? Any suggestions and what I can do to avoid this delay? We have other developers working in the same project who do not experience this.

Thanks,
Eric



--
Best regards,
Maxim Mossienko
IntelliJ Labs / JetBrains Inc.
http://www.intellij.com
"Develop with pleasure!"

0
Comment actions Permalink

Hi Maxim,

Thanks for the suggestion. I always have that option turned off.

These are the settings I'm running in idea.exe.vmoptions right now:
-Xms92m
-Xmx386m
-XX:MaxPermSize=99m
-ea
-server
-Dsun.awt.keepWorkingSetOnMinimize=true

I added keepWorkingSetOnMinimize this morning to see if that helps. I also noticed that my JDK_HOME was set to JDK 1.4, I set it to 1.5. Both of these changes seem to have helped out a lot. It's bearable now, it's about a 5 second delay when it happens.

I'm thinking that the issue is with a ton of JavaScript (20k+ lines.) I'm just working with JavaScript, so it's hard for me to rule that out right now.

Thanks,
Eric

0
Comment actions Permalink

Running IntelliJ with Java 1.6 seems to make it even more responsive might want to try it out with 1.6.

http://blogs.jetbrains.com/idea/2006/08/running-mustang/

0

Please sign in to leave a comment.