Simple spam protection

Hello, Everybody !

In order to protect our NEWS server from spam we have applied the simple
authentication to our server.
Currently you can read our news without any authentication, but if you need
to post to our newsgroups you should use name "jbuser" and any password (for
example "jbpassword") in your NEWS client program.

--
Sergey Zhukov
System Administrator
JetBrains, Inc
http://www.jetbrains.com
"Develop with pleasure!"


24 comments
Comment actions Permalink

test

"Sergey Zhukov (JetBrains)" <sergey@jetbrains.com> ÓÏÏÂÝÉÌ/ÓÏÏÂÝÉÌÁ ×
ÎÏ×ÏÓÔÑÈ ÓÌÅÄÕÀÝÅÅ: news:ci9c3u$qc9$1@is.intellij.net...

Hello, Everybody !

>

In order to protect our NEWS server from spam we have applied the simple
authentication to our server.
Currently you can read our news without any authentication, but if you

need

to post to our newsgroups you should use name "jbuser" and any password

(for

example "jbpassword") in your NEWS client program.

>

--
Sergey Zhukov
System Administrator
JetBrains, Inc
http://www.jetbrains.com
"Develop with pleasure!"

>
>


0
Comment actions Permalink

Can someone tell me how to accomplish posting to this ng with Mozilla Thunderbird? I can't figure out how to enter a username/pwd for this account.

0
Comment actions Permalink

I had done it by doing the following:
Create a new SNMP Server Settings and use it for your JetBrains News Account.

Tools -> Account Settings -> Outgoing Server (SMTP) -> Advanced...

See attachment

Tools -> Account Settings -> JetBrains -> Server Settings -> Advanced

However, it no longer works...

0
Comment actions Permalink

See attachment



Attachment(s):
newsSmpt.JPG
0
Comment actions Permalink

test


On 9/15/04 8:54 AM, in article ci9e11$7ln$1@is.intellij.net, "Vladimir
Kondratyev @yourkit.com>" ]]> wrote:

test

"Sergey Zhukov (JetBrains)" <sergey@jetbrains.com> Ã?Ã�Ã�Ã?â? Ã?Ã?/Ã?Ã�Ã�Ã?â? Ã?Ã?Ã� â??
Ã?Ã�â??Ã�Ã?Ã?Ã?Ã? Ã?Ã?Ã?Ã?Ã?Ã?â? Ã?Ã?: news:ci9c3u$qc9$1@is.intellij.net...

>> Hello, Everybody !
>>
>> In order to protect our NEWS server from spam we have applied the simple
>> authentication to our server.
>> Currently you can read our news without any authentication, but if you

need

>> to post to our newsgroups you should use name "jbuser" and any password

(for

>> example "jbpassword") in your NEWS client program.
>>
>> --
>> Sergey Zhukov
>> System Administrator
>> JetBrains, Inc
>> http://www.jetbrains.com
>> "Develop with pleasure!"
>>
>>



0
Comment actions Permalink

test
Sfeir, Robert wrote:

test


On 9/15/04 8:54 AM, in article ci9e11$7ln$1@is.intellij.net, "Vladimir
Kondratyev @yourkit.com>" <<unknown> wrote:

>>test
>>
>>"Sergey Zhukov (JetBrains)" <sergey@jetbrains.com> Ã?Ã�Ã�Ã?â? Ã?Ã?/Ã?Ã�Ã�Ã?â? Ã?Ã?Ã� â??
>>Ã?Ã�â??Ã�Ã?Ã?Ã?Ã? Ã?Ã?Ã?Ã?Ã?Ã?â? Ã?Ã?: news:ci9c3u$qc9$1@is.intellij.net...
>>
>>>Hello, Everybody !
>>>
>>>In order to protect our NEWS server from spam we have applied the simple
>>>authentication to our server.
>>>Currently you can read our news without any authentication, but if you
>>
>>need
>>
>>>to post to our newsgroups you should use name "jbuser" and any password
>>
>>(for
>>
>>>example "jbpassword") in your NEWS client program.
>>>
>>>--
>>>Sergey Zhukov
>>>System Administrator
>>>JetBrains, Inc
>>>http://www.jetbrains.com
>>>"Develop with pleasure!"
>>>
>>>
>>
>>

0
Comment actions Permalink

Tim wrote:

I had done it by doing the following:
Create a new SNMP Server Settings and use it for your JetBrains News Account.

Tools -> Account Settings -> Outgoing Server (SMTP) -> Advanced...

See attachment

Tools -> Account Settings -> JetBrains -> Server Settings -> Advanced

However, it no longer works...

didn't work

0
Comment actions Permalink

Brad wrote:

Tim wrote:

>> I had done it by doing the following:
>> Create a new SNMP Server Settings and use it for your JetBrains News
>> Account.
>>
>> Tools -> Account Settings -> Outgoing Server (SMTP) -> Advanced...
>>
>> See attachment
>>
>> Tools -> Account Settings -> JetBrains -> Server Settings -> Advanced
>>
>> However, it no longer works...


didn't work

that's odd. it worked but i don't have a username/pwd set.

0
Comment actions Permalink

Tim wrote:

I had done it by doing the following:
Create a new SNMP Server Settings and use it for your JetBrains News Account.

Tools -> Account Settings -> Outgoing Server (SMTP) -> Advanced...

See attachment

Tools -> Account Settings -> JetBrains -> Server Settings -> Advanced

However, it no longer works...


It's working again.

0
Comment actions Permalink

Tim Haley wrote:

Tim wrote:

>> I had done it by doing the following:
>> Create a new SNMP Server Settings and use it for your JetBrains News
>> Account.
>>
>> Tools -> Account Settings -> Outgoing Server (SMTP) -> Advanced...
>>
>> See attachment
>>
>> Tools -> Account Settings -> JetBrains -> Server Settings -> Advanced
>>
>> However, it no longer works...


It's working again.

Well, now I can post without changing anything.

0
Comment actions Permalink

Brad wrote:

Tim Haley wrote:

>> Tim wrote:
>>
>>> I had done it by doing the following:
>>> Create a new SNMP Server Settings and use it for your JetBrains News
>>> Account.
>>>
>>> Tools -> Account Settings -> Outgoing Server (SMTP) -> Advanced...
>>>
>>> See attachment
>>>
>>> Tools -> Account Settings -> JetBrains -> Server Settings -> Advanced
>>>
>>> However, it no longer works...
>>
>>
>>
>> It's working again.


Well, now I can post without changing anything.


Must have been a failed attempt at "Simple spam protection"

0
Comment actions Permalink

Spam test
-- Posted by JetBrains Omea

0
Comment actions Permalink

Spam test

-- Posted by JetBrains Omea

0
Comment actions Permalink

test

Maxim Mossienko wrote:

test
Sfeir, Robert wrote:

>> test
>>
>>
>> On 9/15/04 8:54 AM, in article ci9e11$7ln$1@is.intellij.net, "Vladimir
>> Kondratyev @yourkit.com>" wrote: >> >> >>> test >>> >>> "Sergey Zhukov (JetBrains)" Ã?Ã�Ã�Ã?â? Ã?Ã?/Ã?Ã�Ã�Ã?â? Ã?Ã?Ã� â?? >>> Ã?Ã�â??Ã�Ã?Ã?Ã?Ã? Ã?Ã?Ã?Ã?Ã?Ã?â? Ã?Ã?: news:ci9c3u$qc9$1@is.intellij.net... >>> >>>> Hello, Everybody ! >>>> >>>> In order to protect our NEWS server from spam we have applied the >>>> simple >>>> authentication to our server. >>>> Currently you can read our news without any authentication, but if you >>> >>> >>> need >>> >>>> to post to our newsgroups you should use name "jbuser" and any password >>> >>> >>> (for >>> >>>> example "jbpassword") in your NEWS client program. >>>> >>>> -- >>>> Sergey Zhukov >>>> System Administrator >>>> JetBrains, Inc >>>> http://www.jetbrains.com >>>> "Develop with pleasure!" >>>> >>>> >>> >>> >>]]>

0
Comment actions Permalink

test


"Martin Fuhrer" <mf@fuhrer.com> wrote in message
news:cib6eu$3ev$1@is.intellij.net...

test

>

Maxim Mossienko wrote:

test
Sfeir, Robert wrote:

>
>> test
>>
>>
>> On 9/15/04 8:54 AM, in article ci9e11$7ln$1@is.intellij.net, "Vladimir
>> Kondratyev @yourkit.com>" <<unknown> wrote:
>>
>>
>>> test
>>>
>>> "Sergey Zhukov (JetBrains)" <sergey@jetbrains.com> OIIA?EI/OIIA?EIA ?
>>> II?IOONE OIAAOA?AA: news:ci9c3u$qc9$1@is.intellij.net...
>>>
>>>> Hello, Everybody !
>>>>
>>>> In order to protect our NEWS server from spam we have applied the
>>>> simple
>>>> authentication to our server.
>>>> Currently you can read our news without any authentication, but if

you

>>>
>>>
>>> need
>>>
>>>> to post to our newsgroups you should use name "jbuser" and any

password

>>>
>>>
>>> (for
>>>
>>>> example "jbpassword") in your NEWS client program.
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> Sergey Zhukov
>>>> System Administrator
>>>> JetBrains, Inc
>>>> http://www.jetbrains.com
>>>> "Develop with pleasure!"
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>



0
Comment actions Permalink

test

Norris Shelton
Sun Certified Java Programmer




Andrew Ralko wrote:

>test
>
>
>"Martin Fuhrer" <mf@fuhrer.com> wrote in message
>news:cib6eu$3ev$1@is.intellij.net...

>
>>test
>>
>>Maxim Mossienko wrote:
>>
>>
>>>test
>>>Sfeir, Robert wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>>test
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>On 9/15/04 8:54 AM, in article ci9e11$7ln$1@is.intellij.net, "Vladimir
>>>>Kondratyev @yourkit.com>" wrote: >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>>>test >>>>> >>>>>"Sergey Zhukov (JetBrains)" OIIAS(EI/OIIAS(EIA ? >>>>>II?IOONE OIAAOAS(AA: news:ci9c3u$qc9$1@is.intellij.net... >>>>> >>>>> >>>>> >>>>>>Hello, Everybody ! >>>>>> >>>>>>In order to protect our NEWS server from spam we have applied the >>>>>>simple >>>>>>authentication to our server. >>>>>>Currently you can read our news without any authentication, but if >>>>>> >>>>>> >]]>you

>
>>>>>need
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>>to post to our newsgroups you should use name "jbuser" and any
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>password

>
>>>>>(for
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>>example "jbpassword") in your NEWS client program.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>--
>>>>>>Sergey Zhukov
>>>>>>System Administrator
>>>>>>JetBrains, Inc
>>>>>>http://www.jetbrains.com
>>>>>>"Develop with pleasure!"
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>
>

>

0
Comment actions Permalink

Has anyone figured this out?

My original fix no longer works, and I can't figure out how to get Thunderbird to succesfully post to these news groups any more.

Any suggestions short of using a different news reader or the forums?

I have one thought for JetBrains: Implement RSS Feeds for the forums. That way we could get the news feed feeling without nntp.

0
Comment actions Permalink

Brad Lane wrote:

Can someone tell me how to accomplish posting to this ng with Mozilla Thunderbird? I can't figure out how to enter a username/pwd for this account.

Hi Brad,

You've probably already figured this out. The note should say that to
read the newsgroup, no username or password is required, but to READ AND
POST to the newsgroup, a username and password is required. (The news
clients like TB do not distinguish between authenticating on read or
post) The user name is "jbuser", and the password can be anything
including "password".

Armed with that information, in Thunderbird, you go to Tools --> account
settings --> the server tab for the intelliJ news server, and click on
the check box that says "always authenticate for this server".

That should do it. (BTW, I'm using TB 0.6, so it may have changed a
little in more recent versions.)

David

0
Comment actions Permalink

Hello Sergey,

Hello, Everybody !

In order to protect our NEWS server from spam we have applied the
simple
authentication to our server.
Currently you can read our news without any authentication, but if you
need
to post to our newsgroups you should use name "jbuser" and any
password (for
example "jbpassword") in your NEWS client program.


Thanks

0
Comment actions Permalink

test
"Abdelhalim" <halimmo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:cjgc7p$u1s$1@is.intellij.net...

Hello Sergey,

>

Hello, Everybody !

>

In order to protect our NEWS server from spam we have applied the
simple
authentication to our server.
Currently you can read our news without any authentication, but if you
need
to post to our newsgroups you should use name "jbuser" and any
password (for
example "jbpassword") in your NEWS client program.

>

Thanks



0
Comment actions Permalink

test
"Abdelhalim" <halimmo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:cjgc7p$u1s$1@is.intellij.net...

Hello Sergey,

>

Hello, Everybody !

>

In order to protect our NEWS server from spam we have applied the
simple
authentication to our server.
Currently you can read our news without any authentication, but if you
need
to post to our newsgroups you should use name "jbuser" and any
password (for
example "jbpassword") in your NEWS client program.

>

Thanks




0

Please sign in to leave a comment.