4.5 speed

I've noticed 4.5 to be quite a bit slower than previous versions. This seems to be the case across the board -- compiliation, cvs checkouts, switching between source files in different tabs, etc. In fact, if it weren't for the 1.5 support I'd go back to the previous version. One thing I always liked about IntelliJ was that it has lots of nice features but it felt rather light and speedy. Now I feel a bit like I'm working with an early version of JBuilder.

Is there anything I can do about this?

thanks,

Nick

11 comments
Comment actions Permalink

Nick Collier wrote:

I've noticed 4.5 to be quite a bit slower than previous versions. This seems to be the case across the board -- compiliation, cvs checkouts, switching between source files in different tabs, etc. In fact, if it weren't for the 1.5 support I'd go back to the previous version. One thing I always liked about IntelliJ was that it has lots of nice features but it felt rather light and speedy.
Now I feel a bit like I'm working with an early version of JBuilder.

Exactly :). That was my feeling too :). (The speed was one of the main
reasons I switched from JBuilder to IDEA).

Ahmed.

0
Comment actions Permalink

Come on, don't compare working with the current IntelliJ 4.5 release with the early versions of JBuilder ! That's very unfair. The early versions of JB were extremely buggy and awkward to use.

Working with IntelliJ is very intuitive and productive. I do not have significant speed problems (the project has about 4,500 classes), although indeed I feel that the cvs integration became a little slower.

But IntelliJ is not so slow, that it would bother me, in fact I think it is pretty responsive (one exception is the xml editing and formating though).

Kind regards

Thomas Gülden
Munich, Germany

0
Comment actions Permalink

Yeah, you are right. Of course its not like working with an early version of JBuilder! I did write "a bit like" so I was trying to get across my feeling that everything feels a bit "laggy" now in 4.5, which was how I felt in JBuilder before I switched to IntelliJ several years ago. I'll continue using it, but it just doesn't feel as responsive and that's disapointing to me.

Nick

0
Comment actions Permalink

? wrote:

Come on, don't compare working with the current IntelliJ 4.5 release with the early versions of JBuilder !

I do not compare. I'm saying only about the feeling. Nick's observation
remembered me :). I switched to IDEA in the early days of Idea (1.0? :)
), and now I have sometimes same feeling like that time in JBuilder
regarding the responsiveness of the IDE.

The early versions of JB were extremely buggy and awkward to use.

The new version are still the same :).

Ahmed.

0
Comment actions Permalink

I agree it is slower than 3.0.5 but I don't think it's any slower than 4.0.3 was. Personally I blame the bloat of the GUI Builder for slowing the whole thing down!! ;) lol

0
Comment actions Permalink

Rob Bradley wrote:

I agree it is slower than 3.0.5 but I don't think it's any slower than 4.0.3 was.

Most of us speak about the speed of IDEA from 1.0 till 3.0.5 :).

Personally I blame the bloat of the GUI Builder for slowing the whole thing down!! ;) lol


I don't think the GUI Builder slows the things. If one uses no *.form
files, I think, the GUI Builder is not loaded at all, however the slow
responsiveness of the IDE is still there.

Ahemd.

0
Comment actions Permalink

Yeah nothing to do with GUI builder or anything else. I usually remove the
Sourcesafe, weblogic and other plugins I don't use, and it make NO
difference in speed. The slow down stems from our constant need for more
code checking, evaluating, warnings, and what not to make the ide do more
work for us. Turn off all syntax checking, Intentions, Code Completion,
etc... And see how much faster things are. It feels like a native text
editor, but it's not as useful with all this stuff turned off :)

R


On 8/13/04 12:53 PM, in article cfirm1$o9d$1@is.intellij.net, "Ahmed
Mohombe" <amohombe@yahoo.com> wrote:

Rob Bradley wrote:

>> I agree it is slower than 3.0.5 but I don't think it's any slower than 4.0.3
>> was.

Most of us speak about the speed of IDEA from 1.0 till 3.0.5 :).

>> Personally I blame the bloat of the GUI Builder for slowing the whole thing
>> down!! ;) lol


I don't think the GUI Builder slows the things. If one uses no *.form
files, I think, the GUI Builder is not loaded at all, however the slow
responsiveness of the IDE is still there.

Ahemd.


0
Comment actions Permalink

The first thing I do after installing a new version is to increase the maximum heap size in the .lax
file. This helps reduce swapping for large projects. I also upped the memory on my client to a
gig, which has helped.

Tonight when editing other people's projects, I used both Eclipse and JBuilder X for several hours.
I ended up importing everything I needed into 4.5 mainly because of the speed difference
(especially from JBuilder X). This difference was especially noticeable when large (automatically
generated) java files were generated from DB definitions; the parser on IJ was much better than the
other two editors. Another obvious difference was refreshing files when code checking: Eclipse
especially tended to hang on to errors that had been fixed for a much longer time than did IJ.
Point being, that although 4.5 might be a little slower than 4.0.3 or 3, I think it's still faster
than any reasonably comparable alternative.

I also think that there are trade-offs that are not as obvious as GUI speed. For instance, it seems
to me that IJ returns from 'search in path' quicker than does Eclipse or JBuilder. And without
doubt, invoking this on IJ with a right-click on the source tree is much quicker than going Search
-> Search in Path -> type in path.... that is the work flow of the other two editors. Other common
features like excluding paths from the complier, and finding references to a symbol also seem much
quicker in IJ. So perhaps only as an entertaining mathematical argument, it might also be that
speeding up features like interface flow & indexing overcome (in an entire session) any GUI
lethargy. Still though I can't see IJ's GUI being slower than the current alternatives except, of
course, for the emacs client that's always hanging around to bang out the quick 3-line
proof-of-concept code.

-Fred




Robert S. Sfeir wrote:

Yeah nothing to do with GUI builder or anything else. I usually remove the
Sourcesafe, weblogic and other plugins I don't use, and it make NO
difference in speed. The slow down stems from our constant need for more
code checking, evaluating, warnings, and what not to make the ide do more
work for us. Turn off all syntax checking, Intentions, Code Completion,
etc... And see how much faster things are. It feels like a native text
editor, but it's not as useful with all this stuff turned off :)

R


On 8/13/04 12:53 PM, in article cfirm1$o9d$1@is.intellij.net, "Ahmed
Mohombe" <amohombe@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>Rob Bradley wrote:
>>
>>>I agree it is slower than 3.0.5 but I don't think it's any slower than 4.0.3
>>>was.
>>
>>Most of us speak about the speed of IDEA from 1.0 till 3.0.5 :).
>>
>>
>>>Personally I blame the bloat of the GUI Builder for slowing the whole thing
>>>down!! ;) lol
>>
>>I don't think the GUI Builder slows the things. If one uses no *.form
>>files, I think, the GUI Builder is not loaded at all, however the slow
>>responsiveness of the IDE is still there.
>>
>>Ahemd.


0
Comment actions Permalink

I feel the same. Is there synchronization responsible for it?
When I compile by ant tasks {not in idea}, why is there not possibility to manually synchronize only open file, or all files according my needs.
{I know what I need, but synchronization of all project files is very expensive}

0
Comment actions Permalink

I have synchronization disabled by default (you can do that in the project settings) and then I press ctrl-alt-y (synchronize) whenever I know it is needed. Speeds up a lot.

Greetings,

0
Comment actions Permalink

I'm experiencing a similar kind of problem with 4.5 which has resulted in
a switch back to 4.0.x. It's not the overall speed of the IDE but the
speed of compilations. IDEA seems to have added some sort of automatic
analysing of dependencies which takes place before the compilation itself.
I can understand the intention behind this but would appreciate the option
to disable this as the resulting analysis and consequent re-compilations
can take a very long time in a large project. It doesn't generate a great
deal of confidence in the system when if you compile a class having made
no modifications to it and it takes 5 minutes for the IDE to complete.


>> my original post in another topic
We work with a very large project (>10'000 classes) very happily with
version 4.0.x. When we compile one class it compiles that only that class
and we are happy. With version 4.5 when we compile a class Idea embarks on
a mission to analyse dependencies. This can take a few minutes. Once
analysed it then compiles all dependent classes including all recursively
dependent classes. When compiling a high level class this can take another
few minutes. The result is that compiling some classes can result in 5-10
minute wait. Faced with this form of 'compiler russian roulette' we have
moved back to version 4.0.x

0

Please sign in to leave a comment.