The State of JSP/JSTL Support in IDEA

After much wrangling around with IDEA-4.0.3 and Pallada build 2013 (got a wonderful class not found exception because the latest drop is missing a class file), I still can not get JSP validation to work. I've read the documention on Web Modules and taglib support and spent two days searching the forums, but I still can't get simple things to work, like:

]]>


I've been trying to migrate over a project that I've been doing using just a text editor on the filesystem that I know works (I'm using Tomcat 5.0.19 as the container) to IDEA because of its supposedly wonderful JSP support. Does anybody have documentation that actually helps, or a sample project they know works? I've tried including the jar files I use (jstl.jar and standard.jar) in the project (and I made sure they were included in the module after "making" it), I've tried making them global libraries. I even tried extracting the tld files from the jars and putting them directly into WEB-INF inside the module. About the only thing I haven't tried is mapping the tlds inside my web.xml, mainly because I've never had to do it before and think starting now would be a step back in terms of usefulness.

Am I really trying to do something that stupid or uncommon?

1 comment
Comment actions Permalink

I've been trying to migrate over a project that I've
been doing using just a text editor on the filesystem
that I know works (I'm using Tomcat 5.0.19 as the
container) to IDEA because of its supposedly
wonderful JSP support.


As much as I love IDEA I'm can't think of two many users who would call it's JSP support "wonderful", in fact it's J2EE support in general is in need of some real improvement. What you are experiencing is probably the Tomcat 5 bug in IDEA 4.0.3 which stops IDEA from loading Tomcat 5 from within the IDE. This has been fixed in IDEA 4.0.4 (the current EAP version of the 4.0x range) which should be out soon.

0

Please sign in to leave a comment.