I am evaluating IDEA (current evaluation version), and encountered problems debugging jsp pages. My application is set up as web application, and debugging of my java files (used by this application) works OK, but breakpoints in jsp pages are totally ignored. I am using intergrated debugger and Tomcat 4.0 (not sure what build though, could not locate this info). The details of my configuration are described (in excruciacing detail, sorry) below. I will appreciate any advice. What am I missing?
Here are the details (sorry if I am too detailed)
Tomcat is installed in c:\apache_1_3\tomcat
My web application is in c:\apache_1_3\websites\myapp
myappfolder has the following structure:
The real "stuff" is in c:\apache_1_3\websites
c:\apache_1_3\websites\myapp\java\myapp (here are jsp pages)
c:\apache_1_3\websites\myapp\java\WEB_INF (here are the \lib, \classes etc folders as well as web.xml)
The lib folder contains some jar files that my app is using (third party etc), the classes folder is where my own java files are compiled into.
(this directory structure may look weird bit it is company standard).
The context for tomact is defined as /myapp, and the virtual host is defined as myapp.mycompany.com
So I call my jsp pages in the browser by (e.g) http://myapp.mycompany.com/myapp/welcome.jsp
The jsp files - as far as I can see - are being compiled into
Everything is configured OK as far as Tomact is concerend - the application runs fine when using Tomcat outside IDEA.
So much for my tomcat configuration. Now for Idea project.
c:\myprojects\myapp (this is where I keep my java files)
c:\...\IdeaProjects\myapp\src (added by Idea, empty folder)
(and other jars in web-inf\lib folder)
compiler output path (single output path) is set to C:\Apache_1_3\websites\myapp\java\myapp\WEB-INF\classes
Exclude output is checked
Enable Web support is checked, and web application is defined as myapp in folder C:\Apache_1_3\websites\myapp\java\myapp
( I had to specify this folder since when I tried C:\Apache_1_3\websites\myapp\ IDEA complaned about no web-inf subdirectory)
The Debug configuration (webApp tab):
web application: myapp
application server: Tomcat 4.0.x server
debugee host: localhost
debuggee port: 5005
catalina home: c:\apache1_3\tomcat
path to catalina configs: c:\apache1_3\tomcat\conf
application context path: /myapp
VM parameters: -Xdebug -Xnoagent -Djava.compiler=NONE -Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,server=y,suspend=n,address=5005
The same VM parameters are being passed to Tomcat.
When I run debug session, all jsp files work fine and I can set breakpoints in my java files and everythig seems to work OK, but when I set breakpoints in jsp files, they are being ignored and the page simply displayes in browser without entering into debug mode.