"Smart" highlight features stopped working in EAP

I am not sure if this is a bug or a default configuration change or something else.  For as long as I have used PHPStorm the IDE has felt more "interactive" than it does since the 126.23 EAP release.  I have not switched back to 5.0 yet to compare what exactly is different but one thing that stands out is that before, if I made a new class that implemented an interface, the class name would be underlined in red to indicate that not all methods were implemented (or that the class was not declared abstract).  This no longer works.  Another thing is that while you were typing, say, a variable name that was previously declared, the IDE would show the rest of the variable name in light grey to indicate that you could autocomplete.  You can still do this by pressing control + shift but I prefer to have the option to simply press tab as I'm typing.

Is this a setting somewhere?  I can't seem to find it.  Or is it a bug?

Thanks!
Jody

9 comments

Jody,

if I made a new class that implemented an interface, the class name would be underlined in red to indicate that not all methods were implemented (or that the class was not declared abstract).  This no longer works.

could you please create a new issue in our tracker about this and provide a code examples and screenshots?

Another thing is that while you were typing, say, a variable name that was previously declared, the IDE would show the rest of the variable name in light grey to indicate that you could autocomplete.  You can still do this by pressing control + shift but I prefer to have the option to simply press tab as I'm typing.

It might be the issue IDEA-99842 "Background suggestions are shown in editor". Could you look at the issue and confirm or disprove whether you faced the same completion behaviour?

0

Thank you for your quick response.  I have created WI-16489 which includes a screenshot.  

Regarding IDEA-99842, I actually am experiencing the opposite.  Where in that case the issue is inaccurrate suggestions, I am getting none.  For example, if I type "str" and pause, you might expect to see a list of php's string functions but nothing is suggested at all.

0
Regarding IDEA-99842, I actually am experiencing the opposite.  Where in that case the issue is inaccurrate suggestions, I am getting none.  For example, if I type "str" and pause, you might expect to see a list of php's string functions but nothing is suggested at all.

What exactly do you mean by "nothing at all"?

  • No code completion popup appears at all? If so -- will you see it when invoked manually (Ctrl+Space by default) ?
  • Or you just see "nothing to sujust" kind of hint? If so -- please try "File | Invalidate Caches..." then
0

By "nothing at all", I mean that typing and waiting does not seem to trigger any suggestions.  Invoking suggestions manually works (Ctrl + Space).

0

Works for me. Maybe it's your settings then? Please check Settings | Editor | Code Completion, in particular "Autopopup code completion" option

0

The Autopopup code completion box was checked and set to 0 ms.  I changed it to 1000, then 500, then 10, even restarting PhpStorm, but no change.  I also tried invalidating caches and restarting.

0

Well .. don't know what may be the reason here then.

I suggest (in order from easy to more radical):

  1. Try your simple example in brand new empty project.
  2. Check idea.log for any possible hints (Help | Reveal Log in ...)
  3. Try disabling ALL 3rd party (not bundled) plugins -- in case one of them interfere
  4. Delete all your IDE settings (but back up them first) and try from scratch (e.g. uninstall completely with all checkboxes checked and then install again). If it will solve it -- then you can easily restore majority of settings files from backup.
    0

    Unfortunately I can't find an exact cause, but the features are working again.  For documentation purposes, here is what I tried:

    1) Tried in simple new project
    2) Checked log
    3) Disabled 3rd party plugins
    4) Uninstalled and re-installed PS-126.92
    5) Feautres worked!
    6) Imported settings
    7) Re-imported original project
    8) Features stopped working :(
    9) Disabled 3rd party plugins again
    10) Features work again!
    11) Enabled 3rd party plugins one at a time
    12) Fingers crossed, features are still working.

    The 3rd party plugins I am using are: Markdown, Atlassian Connector, Bitbucket.  I enabled them in that order in step 11 above.

    Thanks for your help.  I will update the ticket in youtrack.

    0

    Unfortunately plugins can mess up the IDE in virtually unlimited number of ways, by themselves or in combination. This is the back side of the them being so poweful. Generally you should contact plugin author on plugin related problems, and we in turn offer them help in resolving complex problems or just advicing how to achieve desired results in most apporpriate way.

    0

    Please sign in to leave a comment.