I'd like PhpStorm (really all the IDEs) to have a simple new file option. Basically, we need to be able to quickly create a new file or open an existing file without creating a whole project. I want to use PhpStorm as my text editor for simple, little PHP scripts. However, it is way too much effort to do so.
Here's current process users must go through :
- Create a new file on the file system using command line or some other editor such as Textmate.
- File->Open File in PhpStorm to find the file.
- Browse around to find the new file.
- PhpStorm then scans the entire containing directory and creates a project out of it.
- PhpStorm then litters the directory with an unneeded .idea project directory.
Here's what we'd like to see :
- New File:
- File->New File
- Start typing code.
- File->Save or File->Save As and save it
- Open an Existing File
- File->Open File
- File opens for editing without scanning the entire directory or creating a project.
- If you actually want a project, then use 'Open Directory' instead.
Does anyone else in the community want this as well? Please respond to let JetBrains know.