FSC works in the latest build!

It makes my compilation x4 faster! Was 20sec and now only 5sec!

FSC icon in the status bar
Screen Shot 2011-09-19 at 4.52.21 PM.png

Project structure
Screen Shot 2011-09-19 at 4.50.19 PM.png

Screen Shot 2011-09-19 at 4.51.11 PM.png


In between I got the same error as you, the None.get problem. Now it's gone after I finished setting up everything properly, so I don't know exactly "what" fixed it. But here is my configuration, mabye you can compare it with yours...

I have a project with 3 modules, two of them contain Scala code, one is pure Java.

The project (parent) pom.xml contains the following repositories:

      <name>Scala-tools Maven2 Repository</name>

      <name>Scala-tools Maven2 Repository</name>


The modules containing the Scala code:



In the IDE in Settings > Compiler > Scala Compiler you should select the bundle Compiler library:

Maven: org.scala-lang:scala-compiler-bundle:2.9.1 (version 2.9.1.final)

Configured this way it works nicely for me.

Hope this helps.

My "apparent" configuration is the same, but I still fail to compile using FSC. All my modules have the scala facet (including the Parent which defines the scala versions).

I notices on the project's library list the scala-compiler-bundle is grayed. Don't know the meaning of this. I really don't get what is wrong. Is there any way to debug the FSC startup? When I click on the status bar icon and select Run nothing happens.

Thanks for any advice.


I really like the internal fsc, but I don't need to be notified everytime it starts and stops :)


Please remove!

Thanks, Nick.


You are right, I created ticket about it: http://youtrack.jetbrains.net/issue/SCL-3715

Best regards,
Alexander Podkhalyuzin.


I managed to get it working. Apparently my FSC options where incorrect and the launch failed.
I created a new project from a repository clone and compared all .idea files. In the end it was a bad option on the command line for the internal fsc.


There seems to be some problems with the fsc in nika builds (I'm using 110.187 and 0.5.129). The fsc fails in the incremental compiles, regardless that the code is correct. The full rebuild always works, but the after some changes, the problems start. The problems are always with same code snippets. One problematic place is calling a method that has default parameters.

For example:

def foo(bar: String, baz: String = "default")

then somewhere else:
foo("bar")  <--- Compiler says Not enough parameters

As a workaround passing the default argument explicitly makes fsc work.

Another problem appears when using some (but not all) implicit conversions. In incremental compile the fsc can't resolve the implicit conversion.

These problems are quite frequent, the cycle goes something like: full rebuild, code change, successfull incremental build, code change, failing incremental build, full rebuild.
The fsc was working just fine in idea 10.5.2


Please sign in to leave a comment.