Rubymine debugger and testing not working correctly on linux

On my linux installing with ruby installed through rvm I got some problems with rubymine.
If I use bundle exec the debugger won't load with a warning `require': cannot load such file -- debase (LoadError)
The tests run with the rubymine included test runner gives error on tests that work fine while using rake or on the mac while using rubymine where I also do development on.

Project itself is running on rails 4.1 and ruby 2.1.0. Rails installed with bundle and ruby with rvm.

Maybe someone knows how my linux build is configured wrongly.

Comment actions Permalink


it would be nice to have more infomation:
- what version of RubyMine are you using?
- what type of tests (Rspec, Cucumber, Minitest) are you executing?  
- what exact error they reports?
- what means "I use bundle exec"?

Regards, Oleg.

Comment actions Permalink

Hi there,

I ran into the same problem:

jruby -Xcext.enabled=true -S gem install debase


gem install debase


jruby -Xcext.enabled=true -S gem install debase

Building native extensions.  This could take a while...
ERROR:  Error installing debase:
 ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.

    /Users/jan/.rbenv/versions/jruby-1.7.9/bin/jruby extconf.rb
NotImplementedError: C extension support is not enabled. Pass -Xcext.enabled=true to JRuby or set JRUBY_OPTS.

   (root) at /Users/jan/.rbenv/versions/jruby-1.7.9/lib/ruby/shared/mkmf.rb:8
  require at org/jruby/
   (root) at /Users/jan/.rbenv/versions/jruby-1.7.9/lib/ruby/shared/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:1
   (root) at extconf.rb:23

Gem files will remain installed in /Users/jan/.rbenv/versions/jruby-1.7.9/lib/ruby/gems/shared/gems/debase-0.0.9 for inspection.
Results logged to /Users/jan/.rbenv/versions/jruby-1.7.9/lib/ruby/gems/shared/gems/debase-0.0.9/ext/gem_make.out
Jans-MacBook-Pro:gn2013 jan$

Rubymine 6.3 RM 135.692

uname -a
Darwin Jans-MacBook-Pro 13.1.0 Darwin Kernel Version 13.1.0: Wed Apr  2 23:52:02 PDT 2014; root:xnu-2422.92.1~2/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64

ruby -v
jruby 1.7.9 (2.0.0p195) 2013-12-06 87b108a on Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM 1.6.0_65-b14-462-11M4609 [darwin-x86_64]

which ruby

I use MAVERICKS, RBENV 0.4.0 (most recent) and newest homebrew

Comment actions Permalink

Hi Jan,

debase is supposed to be used with MRI only, why you are trying to install it in jruby?  Or it is RubyMine who suggests this?

Regards, Oleg.

Comment actions Permalink

Sorry it took a while was really busy.

But am using elementary os though had the same problem with the linux mint installation I tried.
Rubymine version 6.3.2
The tests are minitest spec.
The bug also happens with starting the normal server from rubymine with debug mode while the mark in preferences of run the script in the context of bundle
Also the tests give different results then when I run them with rake test TEST=test/*/*_test.rb.
The same project runs fine on my work where I use a mac.
So I guess it probably means something in my enviorenment is configured wrong.

Comment actions Permalink

Ok, let's try to resolve (understand) one problem at the time.
Ruby says that it can not load debase when you try to debug rails app.  Am I right?
If so does the gem is available in the sdk/gemset you are using?  
I'd try to remove debase and ruby-debug-ide and let RubyMine install them again.

Regards, Oleg.

Comment actions Permalink

Already tried that by dropping my entire rvm install.
It does work if I add those files to the gem file if I have the bundle exec mark on.
Without the bundle exec the debugger does work without adding it to the gem file.
So I think for some reason the bundle exec environment isn't loaded correctly.

Comment actions Permalink

Hi Peter,

it looks like a bug for me and it would be great if you would file one in our tracker ( could you please verify if the problem reproducible with
a new rails app.  If it is then we will have a simple test project to reproduce it, if it isn't then we will need you help to create such a test.

Regards, Oleg.


Please sign in to leave a comment.