RubyMine 6.3 error at startup - xcode-select error blows up indexing

Howdy,

Just installed 6.3 on my Ubuntu 12.04 system which had previously been running RubyMine 6.0.3 just minutes before.  

When stating, it loads up my last project, but the "Indexing" task never ends (over an hour now -- project isn't that big).  Looking in the logs, I'm seeing this:

2014-04-03 15:33:57,160 [   7455]   INFO - gins.ruby.rvm.RVMPathsSettings - System wide RVM detected: /usr/local/rvm
2014-04-03 15:33:57,224 [   7519]   INFO - figurations.GeneralCommandLine - Cannot run program "xcode-select": java.io.IOException: error=2, No such file or directory
java.io.IOException: Cannot run program "xcode-select": java.io.IOException: error=2, No such file or directory
 at java.lang.ProcessBuilder.start(ProcessBuilder.java:460)



(I've attached the entire log file -- check the last attempt at the end)  

Until indexing is done, I cannot run/debug anything.  Any suggestions on where I should look to fix this?

Gerry


Attachment(s):
idea.log.zip
6 comments

Hi,

could you please try to add "-Dxcode.base=/path/doesnt/exist" to <RubyMine dir>/bin/idea.vmoptions (or one with 64 in its name if you use 64-bits java)
and let me known if it helps.

Thanks in advance, Oleg.

0

Howdy,

I did that, but seem like no change.  I assume you mean 'rubymine.vmoptions' and that's what I added the line too (and the idea.log confirms that it's loading rubymin.vmoptions and not rubymine64.options).

What does the xcode-select program do and is it something included with Rubymine or expected to be installed on my OS?

Also, is this related to indexing never ending or just coincidental?

I've attached the latest idea.log from this change along with m rubymin.vmoptions

Thanks!



Attachment(s):
rubymine.vmoptions.zip
idea.log.zip
0

Hi,

the code which tries to run xcode-select should not do this on Linux (actually this is only-Mac code ;)
But we have tried locally and the exception doesn't break indexing :(
So, most likely it is just a coincidence that you see the exception and the hang.
Could you please try to get thread dump (try to use jps and jstack)

Regards, Oleg.

0

Howdy,

Okay -- I started RM 6.3 up and let it sit for about 3 minutes, then took a stack/thread dump once a minute (approximately) for 5 minutes (5 samples total). Indexing was running the whole time.

The log and dumps are attached.  Hope this helps!

Gerry



Attachment(s):
rm63_index.zip
0

Hi Gerry,

it looks like we are unable to parse one of ruby file :(
I'll try to prepare a custom build with debug output which would help us identify the problematic file.

Regards, Oleg.

0

Howdy,

Problem resolved, I think.

At some point, someone upgraded our 1.9.3 ruby install to a slightly newer version of 1.9.3.  It turns out RubyMine wasn't picking up on that or reporting it couldn't find the old version and basically, was running with no working Ruby. I found out about the upgrade only after complaining around the office some.

I noticed that every file I opened was flagged with all sorts of errors that were not actually errors.  When I realized that it wasn't just recent files, but every single one and that I could do a "rails server" from the command line and everything worked (i.e. there was nothing actually wrong with the .rb files), I got suspicious.

Went into File->Settings->Ruby SDK and while the new ruby was listed, it was not selected.  Selected it, pressed OK and the world got a lot happier really fast (including hte indexer finally finishing up).

So I guess take away might be that it would be helpful if RM threw an error/dialog up if the Ruby it expects to use is no longer available and/or complained visibly if it just didn't have a selected Ruby.

Thanks for helping out and hope the feedback is useful!

Gerry

0

Please sign in to leave a comment.