Can't debug after upgrading to Snow Leopard

After upgrading the OS, I updated my gems and run "sudo gem pristine --all".  I'm using the 1.8.7 interpreter in /usr/bin/ruby

I can run my unit tests in the IDE but when I run in the debugger I get "No tests were found".

I get this dump whether debugging in RubyMine or when starting rdebug-ide from the command line:

Fast Debugger (ruby-debug-ide 0.4.8) listens on :1234

/Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.3.3/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:440:in `load_missing_constant'

/Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.3.3/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:80:in `const_missing'


/Library/Ruby/Site/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:in `gem_original_require'

/Library/Ruby/Site/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:in `require'

/Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.3.3/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:158:in `require'

/Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.3.3/lib/active_support/core_ext/kernel/requires.rb:7:in `require_library_or_gem'

/Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.3.3/lib/active_support/core_ext/kernel/reporting.rb:11:in `silence_warnings'

/Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.3.3/lib/active_support/core_ext/kernel/requires.rb:5:in `require_library_or_gem'


/Library/Ruby/Site/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:31:in `gem_original_require'

/Library/Ruby/Site/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:31:in `require'

/Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.3.3/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:158:in `require'


/Library/Ruby/Site/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:31:in `gem_original_require'

/Library/Ruby/Site/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:31:in `require'


/Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/ruby-debug-ide-0.4.8/lib/ruby-debug-ide.rb:109:in `debug_load'

/Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/ruby-debug-ide-0.4.8/lib/ruby-debug-ide.rb:109:in `debug_program'


/usr/bin/rdebug-ide:19:in `load'


Uncaught exception: uninitialized constant Debugger::CommandProcessor

Loaded suite /Users/alee/dev/warehouse_ia/test/unit/wirelink_msg_test


Finished in 0.000521 seconds.

0 tests, 0 assertions, 0 failures, 0 errors

Here's a list of the gems I have installed:

actionmailer (2.3.3)

actionpack (2.3.3)

actionwebservice (1.2.6)

activerecord (2.3.3)

activeresource (2.3.3)

activesupport (2.3.3)

acts_as_ferret (0.4.4)

browsercms (3.0.1)

cgi_multipart_eof_fix (2.5.0)

columnize (0.3.1)

daemons (1.0.10)

dnssd (1.3)

fastthread (1.0.7)

fcgi (0.8.7)

ferret (0.11.6)

gem_plugin (0.2.3)

git (1.2.2)

highline (1.5.1)

hpricot (0.8.1)

jeweler (1.2.1)

libxml-ruby (1.1.3)

linecache (0.43)

mislav-will_paginate (2.3.11)

mongrel (1.1.5)

needle (1.3.0)

net-scp (1.0.2)

net-sftp (2.0.2)

net-ssh (2.0.14)

net-ssh-gateway (1.0.1)

rack (1.0.0)

rails (2.3.3)

rake (0.8.7)

RedCloth (4.2.2)

rspec (1.2.8)

rspec-rails (

ruby-debug (0.10.3)

ruby-debug-base (0.10.3)

ruby-debug-ide (0.4.8)

ruby-openid (2.1.7)

ruby-yadis (0.3.4)

rubyforge (1.0.4)

rubygems-update (1.3.5)

rubyist-aasm (2.1.1)

rubynode (0.1.5)

schacon-git (1.2.2)

sqlite3-ruby (1.2.5)

termios (0.9.4)

xmpp4r (0.4)

I'm at something of a loss here.  Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks much!

Hi Alec,

I am seeing the same problem as you, although only in some circumstances.  I haven't been able to track down why the debugger can attach in some circumstances, not in others.

However, I seem to be able to work around this by downgrading ruby-debug-ide to 0.4.7.  Then it seems to work consistently (so far).

BTW, this is on Ubuntu 9.04, so I don't think this has to do with Snow Leopard, but rather with the ruby-debug-ide gem.



Yup.  Installing 0.4.7 did the trick.  I even tried the MacPorts version of ruby/gem and it didn't work 'til I downgraded ruby-debug-ide.




This worked for me too.



Also running under Ubuntu 9.10 and this saved me! I was running with ruby-debug-ide version 0.4.9, tried downgrading to 0.4.8, still didnt work, but 0.4.7 works just fine. I know that this is not a RubyMine bug but perhaps it would be nice to have this as a FAQ or under the Linux session so that it is easier for people to get around it.




According to this:

Date: 2009-09-11 11:31
Sender: Mark Moseley

I think Martin's right - this is likely a conflict with the ruby-debug

Uninstall ruby-debug, ruby-debug-ide, and ruby-debug-base, and
then re-install ruby-debug-ide.

It helped me. Apparently at some point the ruby-debug repository got messed up.


Thank you, Gleb, this worked for me.  Uninstalling and reinstalling ruby-debug-ide by itself did the trick.  Mac OSX 10.5.


I had to do this again when I upgraded to Snow Leopard (10.6.3).  Again, worked just fine.


Please sign in to leave a comment.