"Rubygems not installed for SDK" with Ruby 1.9.1

I decided to check out Ruby 1.9.1, since it's supposed to be actually usable in the speed department on Windows. So I downloaded the binary for 1.9.1-p129 from the official Ruby server and, after about half a day of wrangling, got it working. However, when I try to point Rubymine 1.5 EAP at the ruby.exe file, it gives me the message "Rubygems not installed for SDK" followed by the executable's path. I know rubygems is installed because I used it to install Rails, the sqlite3 gem, etc. I tried with both the version of rubygems bundled with Rujby 1.9.1 (1.3) and updating it to the latest version (1.5.) Neither works.

When I point Rubymine to my old InstantRails supplied Ruby 1.8.6 binary, I don't get this same message.

Did I forget to do something? The ruby bin directory is in my path, so I can just open up cmd.exe and type 'gem -v' and get a response. I tried putting ruby in both "C:\Program Files(x86)\ruby" and "C:\ruby". What am I doing wrong? Or is it a Rubymine bug?

2 comments
Comment actions Permalink

Hello Matt,

I decided to check out Ruby 1.9.1, since it's supposed to be actually usable in the speed department on Windows. So I downloaded the binary for 1.9.1-p129 from the official Ruby server and, after about half a day of wrangling, got it working. However, when I try to point Rubymine 1.5 EAP at the ruby.exe file, it gives me the message "Rubygems not installed for SDK" followed by the executable's path. I know rubygems is installed because I used it to install Rails, the sqlite3 gem, etc. I tried with both the version of rubygems bundled with Rujby 1.9.1 (1.3) and updating it to the latest version (1.5.) Neither works.


When I point Rubymine to my old InstantRails supplied Ruby 1.8.6 binary, I don't get this same message.


Did I forget to do something? The ruby bin directory is in my path, so I can just open up cmd.exe and type 'gem -v' and get a response. I tried putting ruby in both "C:\Program Files(x86)\ruby" and "C:\ruby". What am I doing wrong? Or is it a Rubymine bug?

We have an issue for this problem: http://www.jetbrains.net/jira/browse/RUBY-4395
Feel free to watch, vote or comment this issue and get notification when it's fixed.

Regards,
Oleg

0
Comment actions Permalink

Dang, that's disappointing to know that Rubymine can't really work with Ruby 1.9.1 on Windows. Although it's heartening to know that there's already a bug for it, and that it's on your radar.

Hopefully it will get fixed soon-ish (the bug report doesn't list any time estimates) but until then it's back to Ruby 1.8.6.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Edit: Not RubyMine related, but for anybody who cares I thought I'd archive the way I got Ruby 1.9.1 working on Windows. The Ruby site says you need to download and install all the stuff from this page, but I found I also needed to copy over the SSL Dlls from the InstantRuby /bin directory, too, or I got some weird error about 'ordinal 277' or something. So make sure you install, or at least have access to the files of, InstantRails to get that file. I also found that Ruby 1.9.1-p0 (the one linked from the main Ruby page as the recommended Ruby 1.9 windows binary) doesn't work with the latest version of RubyGems, so either don't update RubyGems from the version installed (oh yes, 1.9.1 comes with Rubygems pre-installed, don't go downloading and trying to install another version), or go to the official Ruby FTP site and download 1.9.1-p129.

Message was edited by: Matt T

0

Please sign in to leave a comment.