JVM seg fault

Hi

Not sure if this is a bug in RubyMine but I get on one of my Ubuntu 8.10 machines but not the other (same software different hardware)

# An unexpected error has been detected by Java Runtime Environment:
#
#  SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0xb80c63a2, pid=22597, tid=2299734928
#
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (11.0-b15 mixed mode linux-x86)
# Problematic frame:
# C  [ld-linux.so.2+0xe3a2]
#
# An error report file with more information is saved as:
# /home/david/rubymine535/bin/hs_err_pid22597.log
#
# If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:
#   http://java.sun.com/webapps/bugreport/crash.jsp
# The crash happened outside the Java Virtual Machine in native code.
# See problematic frame for where to report the bug.
#

Any clue - could this be dodgey RAM

Thanks
David

11 comments
Comment actions Permalink

forgot to mention that I get this on 500 and 535 builds

0
Comment actions Permalink

Hello David,

Not sure if this is a bug in RubyMine but I get on one of my Ubuntu 8.10 machines but not the other (same software different hardware)

Are you running 64 bit Ubuntu? What Java do you have installed? (I mean 32 or 64 bit JVM?)
I`m running Ubuntu 8.10 64bit with Sun JVM 32 bit installed and it works good for me.

Thanks,
Oleg

0
Comment actions Permalink

It's a 32-bit machine

Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_10-b33)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 11.0-b15, mixed mode, sharing)

I was experimenting with java 5 but it didn't work at all RubyMine didn't display any menus or panels just a frame. But I'm pretty sure I have it working with java 5 on another machine - must have done something wrong. Will try again

David

0
Comment actions Permalink

I have exactly the same problem.
However it used to work for me in RubyMine build 500
My environment: RubyMine build 535, JDK 1.6_0_10 b33 on Ubuntu 8.10 32-bit.

Thanks,
Nguyen

0
Comment actions Permalink

Since updating my second Ubuntu 8.10 machine to 535 I now get the seg fault on both machines - with both Java 1.5. and 1.6.

Previously I was getting it on only one machine with RM500

0
Comment actions Permalink

For me it seems that the problem only happens with reiserfs
I moved rubymine to an ext3 and it's now working perfectly fine.

Just be noticed that rubymine 500 worked great on reiserfs

Nguyen

0
Comment actions Permalink

Nguyen

What made you think it was the filesystem? I'm onm ext3.

David

0
Comment actions Permalink

Hi David

You are right, it was not the filesystem.
It turns out, in my case, that the problem is I was having rubymine500 and 535 in a same parent directory. Once I deleted/moved the rubymine500 directory, 535 started to work.

Nguyen

0
Comment actions Permalink

I tried moving RM500 elsewhere but no joy. I also tried deleting .RubyMine10 and .idea directories but still get the SIGSEGV

Thanks

David

0
Comment actions Permalink

SIGSEGV problem I think is solved now for RubyMine535

there are optimised Intel 686 libraries that seems to be broken and in my case at least can stand to be removed.

sudo apt-get remove libc6-i686

I got the hint here http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/169366  the only difference being that I have libc6-i686 whee they have libc6-i68


David

0
Comment actions Permalink

I have confirmed this issue on my box w/RubyMine build 535:

  • Ubuntu 8.4 [32-bit]
  • Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_07-b06)
  • Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 10.0-b23, mixed mode, sharing)


removing the libc6-i686 package seems to have fixed the issue, though I wonder what the other implications of removing it are...

0

Please sign in to leave a comment.